hello

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunkers1

New
Reaction score
I've had epilepsy for 11 yrs now with TC seizures. They have been under contol for a little over 2 yrs. I'm also diagnosed with bi-polar 1 and fibromyalgia which both occurred at the same time as the epilepsy. I'm still confused as to how I became diagnosed with epilepsy, no one in my family has it and I didn't suffer any head trauma. I've had this question above my head for the past 11 yrs and so far no conclusions that is what I've come here for, the mysteries that my Neurologists didn't explain. :?

Welcome bunkers1

I too have no explaination as to the origin of my seizure disorder. No family history, no injury. About 90% of those diagnosed with epilepsy have no known cause. Looks like a wide open window.

I believe most of these are symptoms of some undiagnosed underlying problem. Maybe the metabolic system is a little out of wack just enough to cause thes awful problems.

I changed my dietary input and have gotten my seizures under control whereas no drugs or VNS implant could do!

Some times, there is a family history and we just don't know about it. I was diagnosed in 1978. My husband called my mother when I was hospitalized (status seizure and I didn't come to for four days) and she came to where we lived to take care of our nine month old son so she talked to the doctors. She said that no one in the family had ever had a seizure. In 2001, when she had her first grand mal since she was 16, I finally learned the truth. Discovering that there is a family history is tough since the stigma was so terrible years ago that there is alot of denial. Anyway...didn't get my seizures under control until May 2000, when I finally gave up on drugs and started to look for a more natural answer. Vitamins and supplements have been a miracle for me!

tested waters, feel more comfy

I have done investigating into my family past believe me. I've checked back to my great grandparents on both sides of the family for a cause. I thought also the fact that I got 3 diseases at the same time was extremely odd, but not uncommon. It just greatly affected my life like I'm sure it did all of yours. I'm just looking for support in tough times and to help others with the few things I do know about.

Family history is such a funny thing! I'm the family historian for my family - the job was passed on to me by my mother - and there are still so many things that it is impossible to discover due to the inadequacy of medicine even 50 years ago and, when it comes to epilepsy, the shame that was attached to such a diagnosis. My mother denies that she has ever had a seizure - according to her, she "purposely passes out" from stress. The more I learn about things, the more I wonder how many of us with ideopathic epilepsy have it due to a folic acid deficiency during our mothers' pregnancies or inherited metabolic disorders that make it impossible for our bodies to absorb the nutrients necessary for the health and adequate functioning of our brains.

Hi bunkers, sorry I'm late to reply. Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom