Hello all :)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first time on a forum so I'm somewhat new to this, but I have been kinda cooped up with my epilepsy and I felt like I needed a bit of an escape... I am nineteen now and I am going on to my junior year in college, and I have had epilepsy since I was eight. There was a time when I was two years seizure free, so I suppose I somewhat forgot about them. Now they are coming back. I just have a few questions for the the adults who deal with epilepsy...does it ever hinder you? I am huge about not letting epilepsy get in my way of what I want to do in life and where I want to go, but I do get scared every now and then of what can really happen. I am afraid that I wont be able to get hired because I had a seizure in the office or a guy won't go out with me because I'm the "weird girl"...I know that I am probably being very irrational with all of that, but I just get scared with everything. I want everything to work out in my life, and I want it all to be okay. Now that my seizures are back and more frequent then they used to be, I am really nervous for my professional and my romantic future. Someone help me!!

Welcome Missroberts,
Logging in and out real quick here so I don't have too much time to talk but will say two things I'm very definate about.
1. Depending on where you live, they can't use epilepsy as a reason not to hire you. Of course this depends on what type of job you're applying for as well (risk of danger, etc.), but many states and as far as I know all provinces in Canada have laws regarding conditions and disabilities. If you are able and willing to work, and live a regular day to day life where you show up and do your job, they can't not hire you, nor fire you for having a seizure at work. Do a bit of research online per the laws in your area.
2. If said guy won't go out with you, or one leaves you over your epilepsy, then it's a blessing. He wouldn't have been worth a shit in the long run anyway and sure wouldn't be worth any of your precious time. They are either understanding and supportive from the beginning or are nothing. Same goes for friends. 'Oh you have an issue with this? Thank you for letting me know now and goodbye.'
Big hugs and again, welcome to CWE, best forum ever.

Hi Missroberts, welcome to CWE!

What qtowngirl said. :)

It's normal to be a bit scared about what the future holds. I think those of us with epilepsy carry a tiny spot of anxiety with us wherever we go. But, as an adult (I'm 47 -- do I qualify?), I can assure you that plenty of romance and jobs await you.

I hope you can get your seizures under control -- any clues as to why they've picked up recently?

Best,
Nakamova

Hello and welcome!

I too am an official adult (51). I don't really think about seizures until I have one. My work knows all about it, and I have never had a problem. I have had 3 supervisor changes and they have all been the same about it. As for guys....your 19. Guys are pretty stupid at your age, so I wouldn't worry about it. Men are different and understand issues better. Remember, it is only an issue if you make it one. Best of luck!

Thank you all so much, hearing your sides of the stories helps me calm down a lot! Really you have no idea how much it means to me knowing that I can calm down..and like you said huskymom it is only an issue if I make it one, very well put! Thank you ladies :)

A Big Welcome to You!

Welcome Miss Roberts!
I hope that you find it comfortable here and find the answers that you are looking for. Stay strong!
Tom

Back
Top Bottom