hello! does this seem familiar to anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

k&w

New
Reaction score
hi everyone, i've had epilepsy for about a year now. i never have any memory of anything that happens before or after my seizures but ive been told i blank out, start talking nonsense and than start screaming "oh my god" repeatedly before i snap out of it and go back to normal except with no memory of what was going on and very bad short term memory and headaches for hours after it happens. i'm curious if this sounds familiar to anyone and if there is a particular name for this type of seizure other than temporal lobe epilepsy, my neurologist didn't offer much feedback to what or why this was happening to me, just gave me an EEG which came back normal, an MRI that came back with white matter leisons on my brain that are uncommon for a 25 year old, and a spinal tap that came back normal. i'm on lamictal and have been seizure free for 6 months.

Hi K&W,
Welcome to CWE.
What you described could be partial seizures.
I also temporal lobe epilepsy & my main type of seizures were usually simple partial (also known as auras) & complex partial.
I used to usually have a funny dream pop in my head & my head would feel strange (usually kind of heavy or fuzzy) which was the aura. When I had this feeling I would usually feel like I needed to go to the toilet.

I had a lot of my partial seizures when I was home on my own or out walking (if I was out walking I would ignore the feeling of going to the toilet) but I have also had people (usually parents or friends) witness my partial seizures. People who have seen my partial seizures have said I might stare into space & look glassy eyed, talk but not make sense or do strange things like walking around in a circle.

I would usually remember the start of the dream & going to to the toilet then would remember nothing until I came out of the seizure. If I was on my own when I had the seizure I would have to go on what I could remember or how I felt but someone witnessed it I'd ask them to describe how I was.

After I came out of the seizure I would be confused at 1st, tired or have a headache. Sometimes the headache wouldn't last too long but then there were times where it would be so bad I'd have to take something for it & have to have a nap.

Hi and welcome,

it's not unusual for those of us with E to have our EEG and MRI to come back normal.

I have simple to simple/complex seizures, but I don't get the headache.

I hope you will find this forum helpful, it has been for me.

I have the partial seizures as well as the clonic tonic grand mal. I can not hear or see anything during these partial sz, but many partials lead to a big one and with it I have no warning my husband says I will scream and then start seizing I am not conscious of the scream but always know what has happened afterwards I am lucky whereas I don't have many bout 1-2 per year but that's enough. they happen when sleep deprived and stressed.

oH my, your seizures are worse than mine. I feel so for you. I'm glad they don't come any more than they do.

my Neur. presc. Valium to stop my seizures when they come on and won't stop, could this help you.

I take xanex for mine if I am feeling anxious or stressed it does help but sometimes like the other night they come from nowhere for no reason???

I have partial seizures and what you described is almost exactally like the ones that I have.

I'll black out before it. Sometimes during the seizure I'll just stare, other times I might try to talk and sometime I may get up and do things or walk around. And when I come to I don't know that any of this happened.

After the seizure I'll usually have a horrible headache that lasts for hours.

Back
Top Bottom