Hello to Everyone

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

60sman

New
Reaction score
My name is Stephen but I go by "60sman". I am 75 and currently under a lot of stress because I decided to pull up 40-year old roots and move to the SF, CA area in search of an environment more tolerable to asthmatics.
I have -- Wait, I really don't know what I have. Original diagnosis was Myoclonic Epilepsy. The first neurologist did not even tell me that it was very, very unusual to first show these seizure-type symptoms at my age. Now, my new Neurologist just shakes her head and says "your case is very unusual" but since you seem to be doing OK on Keppra, we will keep you on it until you develop a more recognizable disorder like one of those Keppra-side-effects. Then, we can cure that by discontinuing the Keppra, right? (LOL)
I would appreciate hearing from any of you out there who have any special insights into the condition my condition is in (I assume you all can read the summary of my seizure activities that I had to post to join.
Thanks

Welcome Stephen

Good to have you here. So it's unusual to get seizures at your age? I thought it could happen to anyone at anytime. Unusual isn't always bad though, that's really just another word for unique.

There's some excellent information on this site. I'd suggest you check out the library for reference material. This might be of help to you as well http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-101-part-faq-part-tips-advice-1255/ The first link on that page might help you define what seizures you're having.

If you do have any questions feel free to ask, I've found the people here extremely helpful & supportive.

Also good luck in SF. I loved it when I visited there. I don't know much about asthma but I do know that hyperventilation is a common trigger for epilepsy so your move might help your seizures as well (let's hope).

I hope you like San Francisco as much as I did when I moved there after graduating from college. I have since moved south, but I would be back in the Bay Area in a heartbeat if I could be.

My daughters seizure control has improved after making nutritional changes. Perhaps yours is something relatively easy to control. Possibly there is a way to improve your seizure threshold. Many times asthma can be improved by healing the GI system. Probiotics have proven to be helpful in improving the intestinal tract. The two MIGHT be connected.

Hello Stephen!!

I agree, I thought epilepsy could happen at any age. Mine started at 45. What a great place to pull up roots and go to! I hope that you enjoy San Fran. It is a beautiful area. Best of luck! :hello:

Hi Stephen, welcome to CWE!

Were you on any medication at the time the twitches started? It's not unusual for older people to be more sensitive to meds and over-the-counter drugs of any kind, and to develop twitches or spasms as a reaction to or another of the ingredients.

Another possibility is a nutritional imbalance, since as we age, we are less able to absorb nutrients. A B-12 deficiency can cause muscle spasms for instance. As Robin mentions, a closer look at your diet may be beneficial.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi Stephen

Welcome! I've only been here a couple of weeks, and everyone has been so helpful. You'll be on a steep learning curve, and there are many great links to follow (like the one epileric posted).

I started looking into temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) well before it became a "definite possibility" for me, as I have temporal lobe atrophy dx via CT and SPECT scans. I have developed twitches in my hands and legs - usually in response to food triggers - in the last six months, and experienced them during my EEG two weeks ago. EEG results in a week.

I visited your profile, and you haven't mentioned if you've had scans, and if Parkinson's and other conditions have been ruled out. I hope so, and that your condition can be managed with medication, and better still, diet. As you've hopefully read, many of us identify food triggers and can keep away from them. Ha! I say "us" and I'm not officially dx'd yet...

Six weeks off my main trigger - Chai tea - and I'm sane again! I suspect either the star anise or cloves in the tea, as my addiction to the tea coincides with the commencement of my migraines/auras/seizures(?), and not drinking it coincides with a massive reduction in the auras/seizures(?)

Anyway, brain atrophy occurs naturally with age, so I wouldn't have thought it was any surprise that something like epilepsy could develop with age. In fact, I read an article recently which stated that epilepsy is being recognised more and more in the elderly, partly because epileptic behaviour has previously been misdiagnosed under the generic "Altzheimer's" diagnosis.

Again, welcome. You will learn more of the finer points here than your neurologist could tell you, I'm sure.

Cheers
Chel

Back
Top Bottom