Hello I'm a new member.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am 22 years old and started having tonic-clonic seizures when I was 13 years old. The doctors said that my epilepsy is genetic as I do have relatives on both sides of my family who had it. I started taking Depakote ER when I was 14 and have been on it ever since. I have had my does increased since I have become older and it does a good job of controlling my seizures except for the ocassional ones. i started getting simple partial seizures in addition to my tonic-clonic ones last year. I was always pretty confused growing up with epilepsy and didn't really feel like reaching out but as I've gotten older I am more curious about how my own and others struggles with epilepsy compare.

Welcome to this site. I'm new myself but have already received good advice so I think it was a good idea of you to join - it's nice to have someone understand you. :)

Hi kmccuistion and welcome! This is the perfect place to be. Everything here is fair game and there is always someone to help you out. I will put in a fresh batch of cookies and pore some milk :)

Hi and welcome kmccuistion,

Having E is a bummer in life and taking meds on top of it can add to the challenge and struggles of life.

I have had my does increased since I have become older and it does a good job of controlling my seizures except for the ocassional ones. i started getting simple partial seizures in addition to my tonic-clonic ones last year. I was always pretty confused growing up with epilepsy and didn't really feel like reaching out but as I've gotten older I am more curious about how my own and others struggles with epilepsy compare.

IMO, if you are still having occasional seizures, then they aren't under control yet and you need to speak with your neurologist about it. Seizures beget seizures. I have had CP's that have gone into TC's and it is best to stop the CP's so I won't risk going into a bad TC. Maybe trying another medication. There are many more than Depakote. But they can cause confusion, so beware.

Hi kmccuistion, welcome to CWE!

CWE members have all sorts of experience with epilepsy and epilepsy treatments, so I hope you feel free to ask questions and post in the different forums. I hope that you can get the partials under control.

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom