Hello, I'm a newbie to the forum world

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Iris82

New
Reaction score
It was suggested that I post to the foyer first. I really don't know how to go about this, so I just cut and pasted what I wrote in my user details thingy when I registered. I hope that's ok (?)

When I was first noticed my epilepsy, I was having - what I have since discovered to be - atonic seziures. This was in 1990. I'd be in front of the old Apple IIe monitor at school and collapse in or, slide off my chair. A few of these happened before I told my parents. By the time the doctors had diagnosed me with epilepsy - a month or so later -they had become tonic clonic, or what I knew then as mal grand siezures. I've had quite a few over the years but since being stabily medicated (Tegretol - Carbamanzepine 500mg/d) I am somehow no longer photosentsitve -strobe style lights do annoy me though - and I've been able to drive since 2000. I am now 29. I have joined this forum as I have been becoming quite concerned over the last 5 or 6 years, about the effects my medication may be having on me, physically and psychologically. I look forward to sharing our experiences and thoughts.
- Lady from Melbourne, Australia.:e:

Welcome to the site,im sure any questions you may have someone will pop up with,advice,been or going through a similar situation.
Once again welcome,

Hello, and welcome!

You will find a lot of people here to share things with, rant or whatever makes you feel better. I hope that your medications work out. :)

A fellow aussie!!

Hello Iris82, welcome to the fun factory!!

What struck me is how quickly you were diagnosed! A month? That's fantastic!! Check out the research threads, loads of literature on drugs and side effects. You can also use www.googlescholar.com to find journal articles on the latest research, although i'm sure Bernard and Nakamova have them on here!

Wow thanks guys, and Yaya! a fellow Aussie Wobblez :D

About the month to be diagnosed - that's rough estimate.
I was sent to many doctors and had EEGs MRIS and CAT scans. My parents were told if I had more siezures it would help better diagnose me. I was even sent to a naturapath that gave my parents this clear soloution I had to put two or three drops of it into a glass of water.
When I look back on it it feels like it would have been about a month, but I'm really not 100% sure.

Thanks again for the welcome guys.
I'll post agian soon with some questions I've been pondering :D

Night all :D

Hi Iris, welcome to CWE!

Best,
Nakamova

Iris, a big WARM welcome..

Have you been seziure free since 2000?

Hi Iris,

Welcome to CWE. I'm a fellow Aussie, I live in NSW but go to the epilepsy clinic at the Austin Health in Heidleberg.

Thanks everyone -

Hello all,

Hi Chaz,
I haven't been completely seizure free since 2000. I've probably had 3 or 4 seizures since then. They were mainly because I had been stupid and forgot to take my meds or because I was partying too much and had worn myself out. The drs have told me that it's mainly sleep deprivation that causes my seizures, so yea, the ones I have had since then have all been related to me beng oung and dumb and partying too much - so forgetting to take my meds or just wearing myself out....... Stupid I know, but I'm well and truly grown out of that stage now........

Iris82. yes its tough going when u just want to be out there living it up....but indeed if the price to pay = seizure then it’s time to re access and well u r doing just that  well done..

Have you had your blood tested for toxicity? Liver checked? Blood count done? May shed some light on your inner physical well being...

Iris82. yes its tough going when u just want to be out there living it up....but indeed if the price to pay = seizure then it’s time to re access and well u r doing just that  well done..

Have you had your blood tested for toxicity? Liver checked? Blood count done? May shed some light on your inner physical well being...
Ooooh I hope so... hope that everyone does, at least once a year. It is a neuro's responsibility with epilepsy (and if you're switching neuro's or they move, etc.) then your physician can do it, to have all of these checked at least yearly.
Liver, blood count, thyroid depending on the meds you're on (esp. tegretol/carbamazepine), calcium and other electrolytes, blood glucose for diabetes, and any others they see fit that may have to do with your meds, health condition, and the like.
Regardless, what I'm getting at is that the docs should be on top of the labwork, it's not supposed to be up to the patient to take care of it (I know I know... in a perfect world...).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom