Hello, newbie here.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is Jess. I guess technically I was never really diagnosed with epilepsy but in Early 2009 I had my first recognized seizure. Come to find out I had a huge tumor in my melon. I was told it was the size of a lemon, I had a lemon in my melon. Haha :)
Anywho, I had surgery in June of 09 to have it removed, part of it was. The remainder of it was taken care of via chemotherapy and radiation. Unfortunately the damage done by the surgery and radiation has caused me to be considered epileptic. So I guess all in all I have Epilepsy via brain tumor? lol
I have minipaul seizure on the left side of my body if I forget to take my meds. They aren't bad and I very rarely forget to take my keppra but nevertheless, it still sucks.

Hi riverchick247, welcome to CWE!

I'm sorry to hear about your tumor, and the side effects from it and the surgery. The brain is both amazingly vulnerable and amazingly resilient.

I hope you feel free to explore the forums here. It's a great place, and the members are terrific.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi Jess!

Welcome to CWE! Im sorry to hear about the tumor. Im on Keppra XR, and its been working great for me. If there are any questions you have, feel free to ask! :)

Hi Riverchick,

Welcome to CWE, sorry to hear about the tumor & the problems you had with your surgery.

I had scarring on my left front temporal lobe which was the cause of my auras / partial seizures. I had no luck with medications to help control my seizures so had brain surgery March last year to remove the scarring. I was lucky because I had a good recovery & so far haven't had any seizures since the surgery :).

It can be easy to sometimes forget to take our meds. I have to take Keppra & Tegretol twice a day. I've got a 7 day pillbox which I keep my medications in & I usually find the easiest way for me to remember to take my meds is to have them when I have my breakfast or dinner. I also have an alarm near my computer which is set to go of at 6:00pm every night which is just another reminder for me to check that I did take my meds.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I have the 7 day pill box too and love it!
So much so that I got my husband a smaller version of it for his PTSD meds lol that way we remember to take our meds together haha :)
What are your auras like? I get a weird sensation in my sinus area and a weird, almost musky smell. Its rather annoying when it happens. Even though I remember to take my meds 99.9% of the time, if I work out for too long or get too hot I have an aura.

Hi Riverchick,

Welcome to CWE, sorry to hear about the tumor & the problems you had with your surgery.

I had scarring on my left front temporal lobe which was the cause of my auras / partial seizures. I had no luck with medications to help control my seizures so had brain surgery March last year to remove the scarring. I was lucky because I had a good recovery & so far haven't had any seizures since the surgery :).

It can be easy to sometimes forget to take our meds. I have to take Keppra & Tegretol twice a day. I've got a 7 day pillbox which I keep my medications in & I usually find the easiest way for me to remember to take my meds is to have them when I have my breakfast or dinner. I also have an alarm near my computer which is set to go of at 6:00pm every night which is just another reminder for me to check that I did take my meds.

Thanks!
I have the 7 day pill box too and love it!
So much so that I got my husband a smaller version of it for his PTSD meds lol that way we remember to take our meds together haha :)
What are your auras like? I get a weird sensation in my sinus area and a weird, almost musky smell. Its rather annoying when it happens. Even though I remember to take my meds 99.9% of the time, if I work out for too long or get too hot I have an aura.

My aura used to always be a really strange dream which came in my head , my stomach used to feel tight & I felt like I needed to go to the toilet. With the funny dream I used to have it was always the same type of dream but the only time I ever remembered what this dream was about was when I was having a seizure. The only thing I can remember about the dream was that it may involve going somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom