help for anxiety

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jsorensen

New
Reaction score
My 8-year-old son is on Keppra XR for his occipital lobe epilepsy.
He is very anxious all the time, and tells me he feels afraid of everything. Thoughts to help him cope?

Oh, boy. How hard that has to be for him and you. I'm so, so sorry.

Your son is so young that the answer for an adult probably wouldn't be the answer for him - anti-anxiety meds. There are other things that may help, like neurofeedback, biofeedback, meditation (yes, there are classes and groups for kids), an activity he finds relaxing like swimming (if he's allowed). Massages are a wonderful temporary relief. If he can find ways to temporarily reduce his anxiety then he may be able to apply it more often. There may also be something that makes him feel safe, like a lucky rock to rub when he feels anxious.

Have you told his neurologist that he is feeling this way? At some point you may have to make a decision about what's an acceptable side effect. If the anxiety is just too much for him, then you may need to switch meds.

Are your son's seizures partial only or do they generalize?

You might also want to ask about having your son take a B6 supplement -- it helps some folks with the moodiness that can be a Keppra side effect.

Best,
Nakamova

Have you looked into CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)? Not sure if it is useful for a child but it is designed as an effective treatment for things like anxiety. Designed to change the way you think and deal with the fears in life such as lack of control or being frightened of the unknown.

Welcome, jsorensen.

I've provided a link which might help you and or your child's doctor identify the type of anxiety your child has and how to treat it.

When I was exactly your child's age I suffered from great anxiety. In fact, it was at its worst at this age. I would go to my parents and tell them that I had that "elevator feeling" in my chest (the surges of anxitey) for lack of a better word.

Back then parents were uneducated and I was dismissed as being a "worry wart" all the while suffering.
These days, no child should have to carry what your child does alone.

I hope the following will help you. Keep us up to date, if you will. Best, Laurie

http://www.childanxiety.net/Anxiety_Disorders.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom