hesitant to go on meds - advice?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

super8

New
Reaction score
Hey,

wanted to come here for some advice and opinions! i'm pretty hesitant on taking medication prescribed to me to reduce my risk of having another seizure, so i'm writing this so i can get some opinions from some people outside of my doctors or family...

background: ( I apologize in advance for the lengthy post)

right now, I'm 23 years old. throughout my entire life i've never had any serious health problems or anything seizure related, until this past summer. i was exactly 10 weeks into a backpacking trip, when i went to go take a nap after a day of exploring the city. and i wake up in the back of an ambulance getting rushed to the hospital

during my sleep, i had a seizure. my friend was sleeping in the bunk above me, heard a loud thud, saw me on the ground shaking. around 5-6 hours after that initial seizure, i had a second one while at the hospital
i stayed in the hospital for 4 nights, they did a series of blood tests (one of them at 530am when i was still asleep!) and an EEG, which came back slightly abnormal.

fast forward a few months, I see a neurologist back here in Canada, and he decides that he wants to prescribe me these pills called Divalproex. when he told me I'd have to take them, he said I would need to be on them for 2-3 years. which right away scared the hell out of me. something about taking pills for that long doesn't sit well with me. he said in my case, he'll do an EEG and if the results come back normal, I don't have to go on them. If they're abnormal, he recommends I go on the pills
long story short, I get an EEG done not too long ago and the results came back abnormal. now, he wants me to go on these pills

I, obviously don't want to go on them. and here are my reasons why (and why I'm here for some outside opinions)

1) like I mentioned earlier, I've been healthy my whole life. No seizure related symptoms before that incident or even since then. I felt fine the day after it all happened

2) the side effects scare the hell out of me. Theres a whole list of sides that can or will effect me, one of them potentially being liver failure. I've taken accutane for 9 months about 5-6 years ago, which also can mess up your liver, so I really am nervous about going on another medication that can be potentially dangerous

3) i think the seizure was provoked. like i mentioned earlier, this was 10 weeks into a backpacking trip. As much as I was backpacking, I was 22, with my best friends, travelling europe. there were a lot of late nights. out of 70 days, there were maybe 7-10 days where I "took it easy"

It's hard to argue against a scan done on my brain, but it's also been extremely hard for me to accept the fact that I might have to go on the pills. Obviously, no one is forcing me to go on them, it's completely my choice, but I would like to hear some opinions from people here.

Hi Super8,
Welcome to CWE.

I am not a DR and I am not quite sure what part of your post you are wanting advice on, but if you want my 2 cents worth, here it is.

If the "abnormal" EEG indicated epilepsy it was not caused by the backpacking trip but the seizure may have been triggered by the backpacking trip.

Epilepsy is the disease and seizures are the symptom, the disease is always there waiting to be triggered by something, stress, illness, chemical withdrawal, mineral imbalance or the ever popular seizures beget seizures/kindling model of epilepsy.

Everyone has a seizure threshold, a point at which a person can have a seizure. People with epilepsy have a lower seizure threshold than those without epilepsy.
Lets say that the normal threshold is 100 and if you have epilepsy your threshold is 70.
The stress on your body and brain from the backpacking trip pushed you to 71 triggering the seizures.

So if the blood work and other testing eliminated all other possible seizure causes and the EEG shows wave form activity indicating you have epilepsy, well then you most likely do have epilepsy.
The more your brain does something the better and more efficient it becomes at doing that something, whether it be playing guitar, driving a car or having seizures, the more you do it the the easier it gets to do.

As far as medicine goes it is always your choice to take or not take it, if the EEG show epileptiform discharges you are having seizures, small ones, and the brain is learning how to have seizures.

The seizures may get worse or they could stay the same. If it stays the same you may go the rest of your life not taking medication but having random seizures. If it gets worse you may be able to get control with medications or maybe the seizures will be so bad you cannot achieve control with any medication.

If the seizures are hard to control, instead of taking Divalproex for 2 or 3 years, you may be taking 3 -5 medications for the rest of your life.

All medication have side effects even aspirin. Just because a medication has a list of side effects does not mean you will experience those side effects. Only taking the medication will reveal what effects it has on you.

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck and good health.

Last edited:
Welcome Super8!

Frink made very good points, so I won't repeat. I would like to share my experience with seizures. I began having absence seizures as a child, although I didn't know that's what they were until recently. I was fine through my teens. In my 20s, I began having audio and visual hallucinations. In my early 30s, I started having body twitches and lapses of time. Once, I was driving, hit the curb and blew out my tire, not knowing how I got there. Last year, I had a tonic-clonic. It wasn't until I had the tonic-clonic that I knew I needed to be tested for e. The EEG came back abnormal, and that's when I started medication.

My sister had a tonic-clonic when she was 30, but since the Dr. she saw said she fainted, she didn't press the matter. As time went on, she began having them more frequently, and finally saw a neurologist. She had an EEG, which was also abnormal. She began medication.

Medication has helped both of us in controlling seizure activity.

I said all of that to say since the possibility of seizures progressing in frequency and/or intensity is quite real, I would suggest researching various treatment options and sitting down with your doctor to discuss which one(s) you feel comfortable with.

All the best to you!

low doses of meds wont bring, or bring very, very low sides are are not bad to deal with.

its when you are on 3 or 4 at high doses.....thats when it begins to get bad.

You could really go either way for the time being. Because both of your known seizures occurred within 24 hours, they are actually considered one "seizure event" - the threshold for epilepsy is generally 2 or more seizures at least 24 hours apart from one another, unless there are other contributing factors. Contributing factors could be the presentation of the seizure (in my daughter's case while her initial seizures were all within 24 hours it was clear that her t-c seizures started as focal seizures, which are much more likely to be recurrent), it could be an abnormal EEG (which you have) or it could be an abnormal MRI. It's really up to the judgment of your neurologist whether those factors lead to a probable diagnosis of epilepsy (which essentially just means that you have a tendency for recurrent seizures), or whether it's better to wait and see.

So you could consider putting off starting medication with the hope that your seizures were either provoked or a one-time event.

However, if I were you I would make sure that you thoroughly discuss this with your neurologist and understand why they are recommending medication. How "abnormal" was your EEG, and what did they see there? Additional seizures are dangerous in themselves, and there is some evidence that continuing to have seizures can actually worsen your epilepsy. Do you live with someone who could alert you if you have a nocturnal seizure? How disruptive would a daytime seizure be to your life, including possibly losing your driver's license?

So for you it is really weighing the costs and benefits of medication. For the most part, the people on this forum NEED to deal with all the negative side effects of medication to avoid seizures - in general people here don't have a choice! But for you the "cost" of the possible medication side effects may outweigh the "benefits" of avoiding seizures if you are very unlikely to have another one. That's between you and your doctor.

Hope this helps!

Some great points were made by the previous posters, and for the most part I would just be repeating what they said. I will add, though, that I understand the concern about your liver but there are liver enzyme tests taken from a blood sample that can keep tabs on the health of your liver.

Hi super8,

I know there is a disconnect between 'healthy all my life' and 'seizure' but your story indicates the just healthy view is past. Human bodies are never really perfect and epilepsy or some other health issue can happen to people at all ages. Everyone has a seizure threshold, repeated seizures just indicate you have a better tendency than a lot of other people. A low dose of medications might be quite sufficient to keeping you healthy. A large percentage of people do respond to appropriately chosen medication.

I think the perspective of finding out just how abnormal the EEG was is important. It would be less of a problem to put off deciding if you only had partial seizures (small ones) that didn't impair your functioning but that's not what you had. Tonic clonics can cause more damage both from the potential falls and from the seizure itself (let's assume hospital stays and emergency services are not harmful but that's not true for everyone). If you need treatment, your body is going to continue giving you these reality bites. Find out what kind of damage a big seizure can cause so you have the full perspective.

I had my first grand mal (tonic-clonic) seizure when I was 23. I was asleep and I woke up to my wife looking really scared and paramedics in my bedroom. I had another one in the hospital later that day and was started on Dilantin. To make a long story short, I definitely have epilepsy, may have had unwitnessed seizures earlier in my life, and I've been on meds now for the past 34 years. I have tried to cut back on the meds a couple of times and have had seizures as a result of that. I'll be on meds for the rest of my life, I'm sure. Also, I never really had an abnormal EEG, so lack of EEG evidence doesn't mean you don't have epilepsy. If you want to read a lengthy history of my adventures with a vagus nerve stimulator, here's the link:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/my-vns-experience-22263/

Also, I would strongly recommend that you keep track of your seizures using this website: https://seizuretracker.com/ It can help you spot patterns that may be helpful in finding triggers or altering your meds.

Don't be afraid of the meds, but educate yourself about them and all aspects of your epilepsy. Do a lot of your own research. You are your best advocate.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
As Frink pointed out have you ever taken aspirin, ibuprofen or paracetamol? Do you read the drug information leaflets relating to them?
Loads of people don't bother with them because they don't think of these as long term drugs.
Incidentally do you drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or drink coffee? Many people do. Caffeine is the most popular, legal psychoactive drug available. It actually has a maximum recommended daily intake and there are side effects from drinking too much of the stuff.
Alcohol - damages every single system in the body from the nervous system to the integumentary; if you are a regular drinker you are doing something damaging to your liver already - and I'm not talking about people who knock back bottles of spirits a day. This was something we simply were never meant to consume and consuming it gives us no evolutionary advantage.
Smoking, I'm not even going to argue that case.
All psychoactive drugs that tend to be consumed long term and cause varying degrees of damage to the brain and body - with varying degrees of recoverability.

Drugs don't always pop out of little blister packs.

The side effects list is a big pharma a** cover, they have to put the range of side effects on the drug info sheet just in case someone gets the 1 in 1,000,000 side effect they thought was so unlikely it wasnt worth the printing ink. Better paying extra printing ink than a lawsuit.

Oh yeah if it makes you feel any better I looked up your drug. It is another brand name for what I am on.
I've been on it since the early 80's. My liver is fine.
I'm also perfectly healthy just like you.

I just take meds to control my E.

You've gotta do what's right for you, don't feel pressured into anything either way. I had my first seizure when I was 15, had two more up until the age of 19, then went 6 years before having another one. So I was diagnosed late last year and prescribed medication, at this point I felt that because of the rarity of the seizures, I wasn't going to start the meds. If however, my seizures notably increased then I would definitely consider it. You could take the see how it goes approach for now, but be careful. It's entirely up to you. The side effects of medication do scare me too, and I'm prone to getting side effects -_-

Hi, I was on divalproex and it really helped to (somewhat) control my seizures. After awhile my neurologist said it was starting to damage my liver. This was no overnight thing though.
I am over twice your age. Also at one time I drank very heavily. That might be why the divalproex started to effect my liver.
I'm sure your neurologist will continue to monitor your liver.
I suppose it's your choice but do you really want to risk having more seizures? Talk to you neurologist and express your concerns.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

First off, thanks to everyone to responding and offering their opinion
Before replying to each post I'll just quickly add one point and what my EEG said

When I was being brought to the hospital, I was getting treated for a cut above my eye. Would it be possible that I maybe rolled off the bed, hit my head and started seizing? would that be a potential trigger?

Also since that I haven't had any seizures at all. which is one of the main reasons why I don't feel the need to go on the medication. not sure if I mentioned that in my OP or not

EEG results: marked abnormal because of burst of spike and slow wave discharge seen over the left hemisphere following hyperventilation

Hi Super8,
Welcome to CWE.

I am not a DR and I am not quite sure what part of your post you are wanting advice on, but if you want my 2 cents worth, here it is.

If the "abnormal" EEG indicated epilepsy it was not caused by the backpacking trip but the seizure may have been triggered by the backpacking trip.

Epilepsy is the disease and seizures are the symptom, the disease is always there waiting to be triggered by something, stress, illness, chemical withdrawal, mineral imbalance or the ever popular seizures beget seizures/kindling model of epilepsy.

Everyone has a seizure threshold, a point at which a person can have a seizure. People with epilepsy have a lower seizure threshold than those without epilepsy.
Lets say that the normal threshold is 100 and if you have epilepsy your threshold is 70.
The stress on your body and brain from the backpacking trip pushed you to 71 triggering the seizures.

So if the blood work and other testing eliminated all other possible seizure causes and the EEG shows wave form activity indicating you have epilepsy, well then you most likely do have epilepsy.
The more your brain does something the better and more efficient it becomes at doing that something, whether it be playing guitar, driving a car or having seizures, the more you do it the the easier it gets to do.

As far as medicine goes it is always your choice to take or not take it, if the EEG show epileptiform discharges you are having seizures, small ones, and the brain is learning how to have seizures.

The seizures may get worse or they could stay the same. If it stays the same you may go the rest of your life not taking medication but having random seizures. If it gets worse you may be able to get control with medications or maybe the seizures will be so bad you cannot achieve control with any medication.

If the seizures are hard to control, instead of taking Divalproex for 2 or 3 years, you may be taking 3 -5 medications for the rest of your life.

All medication have side effects even aspirin. Just because a medication has a list of side effects does not mean you will experience those side effects. Only taking the medication will reveal what effects it has on you.

Whatever you decide I wish you good luck and good health.

My doctor said the same thing, about every medication having side effects. tylonel, aspirin, multivitamins, etc. But those necessarily aren't dealing with the brain like Divalproex is. the first line on the disclaimer sheet says "rarely this medication has caused serious, sometimes fatal liver problems". reading that throws me off

Welcome Super8!

Frink made very good points, so I won't repeat. I would like to share my experience with seizures. I began having absence seizures as a child, although I didn't know that's what they were until recently. I was fine through my teens. In my 20s, I began having audio and visual hallucinations. In my early 30s, I started having body twitches and lapses of time. Once, I was driving, hit the curb and blew out my tire, not knowing how I got there. Last year, I had a tonic-clonic. It wasn't until I had the tonic-clonic that I knew I needed to be tested for e. The EEG came back abnormal, and that's when I started medication.

My sister had a tonic-clonic when she was 30, but since the Dr. she saw said she fainted, she didn't press the matter. As time went on, she began having them more frequently, and finally saw a neurologist. She had an EEG, which was also abnormal. She began medication.

Medication has helped both of us in controlling seizure activity.

I said all of that to say since the possibility of seizures progressing in frequency and/or intensity is quite real, I would suggest researching various treatment options and sitting down with your doctor to discuss which one(s) you feel comfortable with.

All the best to you!

I'll definitely research more treatment options. I just feel that he kind of threw these pills at me as an easy solution. But who knows. I can't see him for another month and a bit...
thanks for your reply!

low doses of meds wont bring, or bring very, very low sides are are not bad to deal with.

its when you are on 3 or 4 at high doses.....thats when it begins to get bad.

500mg seems like a big dose to me! these pills are massive
on accutane i was doing 40mg and was suffering pretty bad from the sides. including loss of motivation / depression

You could really go either way for the time being. Because both of your known seizures occurred within 24 hours, they are actually considered one "seizure event" - the threshold for epilepsy is generally 2 or more seizures at least 24 hours apart from one another, unless there are other contributing factors. Contributing factors could be the presentation of the seizure (in my daughter's case while her initial seizures were all within 24 hours it was clear that her t-c seizures started as focal seizures, which are much more likely to be recurrent), it could be an abnormal EEG (which you have) or it could be an abnormal MRI. It's really up to the judgment of your neurologist whether those factors lead to a probable diagnosis of epilepsy (which essentially just means that you have a tendency for recurrent seizures), or whether it's better to wait and see.

So you could consider putting off starting medication with the hope that your seizures were either provoked or a one-time event.

However, if I were you I would make sure that you thoroughly discuss this with your neurologist and understand why they are recommending medication. How "abnormal" was your EEG, and what did they see there? Additional seizures are dangerous in themselves, and there is some evidence that continuing to have seizures can actually worsen your epilepsy. Do you live with someone who could alert you if you have a nocturnal seizure? How disruptive would a daytime seizure be to your life, including possibly losing your driver's license?

So for you it is really weighing the costs and benefits of medication. For the most part, the people on this forum NEED to deal with all the negative side effects of medication to avoid seizures - in general people here don't have a choice! But for you the "cost" of the possible medication side effects may outweigh the "benefits" of avoiding seizures if you are very unlikely to have another one. That's between you and your doctor.

Hope this helps!

Your post definitely helped! thank you
As of right now I'm putting the meds off as I think the seizures were a one time event / provoked. I mentioned it in my OP, but this was exactly 10 weeks into my trip. 10 weeks of not drinking much water, lots of beer, extremely hot weather, not much sleep, long days, etc.
I wasn't really living a "normal" lifestyle for the time I was gone
I'll definitely sit down with my neurologist and ask him lots of questions though.
he'll be coming back from a two month long vacation so I'll make him welcome back home hahaha

Some great points were made by the previous posters, and for the most part I would just be repeating what they said. I will add, though, that I understand the concern about your liver but there are liver enzyme tests taken from a blood sample that can keep tabs on the health of your liver.

just curious as to where in BC you live? I'm in the same province

Hi super8,

I know there is a disconnect between 'healthy all my life' and 'seizure' but your story indicates the just healthy view is past. Human bodies are never really perfect and epilepsy or some other health issue can happen to people at all ages. Everyone has a seizure threshold, repeated seizures just indicate you have a better tendency than a lot of other people. A low dose of medications might be quite sufficient to keeping you healthy. A large percentage of people do respond to appropriately chosen medication.

I think the perspective of finding out just how abnormal the EEG was is important. It would be less of a problem to put off deciding if you only had partial seizures (small ones) that didn't impair your functioning but that's not what you had. Tonic clonics can cause more damage both from the potential falls and from the seizure itself (let's assume hospital stays and emergency services are not harmful but that's not true for everyone). If you need treatment, your body is going to continue giving you these reality bites. Find out what kind of damage a big seizure can cause so you have the full perspective.

what is normally considered a lower dosage of meds? the ones I've been prescribed are 500mg

I had my first grand mal (tonic-clonic) seizure when I was 23. I was asleep and I woke up to my wife looking really scared and paramedics in my bedroom. I had another one in the hospital later that day and was started on Dilantin. To make a long story short, I definitely have epilepsy, may have had unwitnessed seizures earlier in my life, and I've been on meds now for the past 34 years. I have tried to cut back on the meds a couple of times and have had seizures as a result of that. I'll be on meds for the rest of my life, I'm sure. Also, I never really had an abnormal EEG, so lack of EEG evidence doesn't mean you don't have epilepsy. If you want to read a lengthy history of my adventures with a vagus nerve stimulator, here's the link:

Also, I would strongly recommend that you keep track of your seizures using this website: It can help you spot patterns that may be helpful in finding triggers or altering your meds.

Don't be afraid of the meds, but educate yourself about them and all aspects of your epilepsy. Do a lot of your own research. You are your best advocate.

Best of luck to you!

I'll read into your thread for sure! And yes as of right now I'm doing a lot of research, as well as my family, but I'm trying to get as many opinions from as many people as possible. Other professionals, people who have epilepsy, friends, etc

As Frink pointed out have you ever taken aspirin, ibuprofen or paracetamol? Do you read the drug information leaflets relating to them?
Loads of people don't bother with them because they don't think of these as long term drugs.
Incidentally do you drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or drink coffee? Many people do. Caffeine is the most popular, legal psychoactive drug available. It actually has a maximum recommended daily intake and there are side effects from drinking too much of the stuff.
Alcohol - damages every single system in the body from the nervous system to the integumentary; if you are a regular drinker you are doing something damaging to your liver already - and I'm not talking about people who knock back bottles of spirits a day. This was something we simply were never meant to consume and consuming it gives us no evolutionary advantage.
Smoking, I'm not even going to argue that case.
All psychoactive drugs that tend to be consumed long term and cause varying degrees of damage to the brain and body - with varying degrees of recoverability.

Drugs don't always pop out of little blister packs.

The side effects list is a big pharma a** cover, they have to put the range of side effects on the drug info sheet just in case someone gets the 1 in 1,000,000 side effect they thought was so unlikely it wasnt worth the printing ink. Better paying extra printing ink than a lawsuit.

Oh yeah if it makes you feel any better I looked up your drug. It is another brand name for what I am on.
I've been on it since the early 80's. My liver is fine.
I'm also perfectly healthy just like you.

I just take meds to control my E.

Yes I've taken aspirin, no I haven't read the leaflets
don't smoke, but occasionally I drink. in regards to caffeine I'll sometimes have 1 cup in the morning before work
I definitely understand your point of view and will take all that to mind

You've gotta do what's right for you, don't feel pressured into anything either way. I had my first seizure when I was 15, had two more up until the age of 19, then went 6 years before having another one. So I was diagnosed late last year and prescribed medication, at this point I felt that because of the rarity of the seizures, I wasn't going to start the meds. If however, my seizures notably increased then I would definitely consider it. You could take the see how it goes approach for now, but be careful. It's entirely up to you. The side effects of medication do scare me too, and I'm prone to getting side effects -_-

as of right now I'm feeling pressured to take them from my neurologist and family doctor. some pressure from my family but they're mainly unsure either of what I should do. I saw another professional today (not a neurologist) who said I should explore my options

Hi, I was on divalproex and it really helped to (somewhat) control my seizures. After awhile my neurologist said it was starting to damage my liver. This was no overnight thing though.
I am over twice your age. Also at one time I drank very heavily. That might be why the divalproex started to effect my liver.
I'm sure your neurologist will continue to monitor your liver.
I suppose it's your choice but do you really want to risk having more seizures? Talk to you neurologist and express your concerns.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

I don't want to risk having more seizures but I personally don't think I'm at risk to have another one, unless I go on another crazy trip or go out a lot or just make bad lifestyle choices. But all of those can be avoided

How hard did you hit your head? A closed head injury was basically what started my seizures, but I hit it really hard.

"When I was being brought to the hospital, I was getting treated for a cut above my eye. Would it be possible that I maybe rolled off the bed, hit my head and started seizing? would that be a potential trigger? "

Are you the type of sleeper who regularly "rolls" out of bed? And how high was this bed?
Most beds are about 18" off the ground, and since you indicate you were in the bottom bunk, you probably were not high enough for gravity to accelerate your head to a sufficient velocity to to cause brain damage leading to seizures or enough energy to cause a one time seizure.

Speaking from experience a simple fall of short height (less than 8' -10', directly on head, onto a hard surface, concrete, hard wood, rock) does not produce the energy needed to cause a knockout blow leading to an instant seizure.

The more likely scenario is the activities of the day led to a seizure in your sleep which made you roll out of bed and hit your head because you have epilepsy.

My epilepsy journey starts with "hitting my head", I was hit by my friend with a motorcycle, he was going around 50 mph and ran into me. His helmeted head hit my non helmeted head instantly knocking me unconscious, my body flew about 35 - 40 feet and landed with the motorcycle on top of me.

My simple partial seizures started about 2 - 4 weeks later.

Head injury - Time/ kindling - Seizures.

"Also since that I haven't had any seizures at all. which is one of the main reasons why I don't feel the need to go on the medication. not sure if I mentioned that in my OP or not

EEG results: marked abnormal because of burst of spike and slow wave discharge seen over the left hemisphere following hyperventilation "

These statements contradict each other. If the EEG is showing spike and wave patterns, which it is, that is an epileptiform wave pattern, AKA you are having seizures, and since they are provoked through hyperventilation, you seem more prone to seizures during times of increased physical exertion like when pushing yourself on a hiking trip.

To medicate or not to medicate is always an individual choice. No epilepsy medication treats the disease (epilepsy), they only help to control the symptoms (seizures).
AED's do not work like antibiotics, there is no such thing as a 30 day course of dilantin to cure epilepsy.
If you decide to take medication to treat your seizures there are many other drugs available with less side effects. No Dr will know which medication will work for which patient until they try the medication. There is no singular cause or singular treatment for the 47+ different types of epilepsy/seizures.

Again whatever you decide I wish you good luck and good health.

"When I was being brought to the hospital, I was getting treated for a cut above my eye. Would it be possible that I maybe rolled off the bed, hit my head and started seizing? would that be a potential trigger? "

Are you the type of sleeper who regularly "rolls" out of bed? And how high was this bed?
Most beds are about 18" off the ground, and since you indicate you were in the bottom bunk, you probably were not high enough for gravity to accelerate your head to a sufficient velocity to to cause brain damage leading to seizures or enough energy to cause a one time seizure.

Speaking from experience a simple fall of short height (less than 8' -10', directly on head, onto a hard surface, concrete, hard wood, rock) does not produce the energy needed to cause a knockout blow leading to an instant seizure.

The more likely scenario is the activities of the day led to a seizure in your sleep which made you roll out of bed and hit your head because you have epilepsy.

My epilepsy journey starts with "hitting my head", I was hit by my friend with a motorcycle, he was going around 50 mph and ran into me. His helmeted head hit my non helmeted head instantly knocking me unconscious, my body flew about 35 - 40 feet and landed with the motorcycle on top of me.

My simple partial seizures started about 2 - 4 weeks later.

Head injury - Time/ kindling - Seizures.

"Also since that I haven't had any seizures at all. which is one of the main reasons why I don't feel the need to go on the medication. not sure if I mentioned that in my OP or not

EEG results: marked abnormal because of burst of spike and slow wave discharge seen over the left hemisphere following hyperventilation "

These statements contradict each other. If the EEG is showing spike and wave patterns, which it is, that is an epileptiform wave pattern, AKA you are having seizures, and since they are provoked through hyperventilation, you seem more prone to seizures during times of increased physical exertion like when pushing yourself on a hiking trip.

To medicate or not to medicate is always an individual choice. No epilepsy medication treats the disease (epilepsy), they only help to control the symptoms (seizures).
AED's do not work like antibiotics, there is no such thing as a 30 day course of dilantin to cure epilepsy.
If you decide to take medication to treat your seizures there are many other drugs available with less side effects. No Dr will know which medication will work for which patient until they try the medication. There is no singular cause or singular treatment for the 47+ different types of epilepsy/seizures.

Again whatever you decide I wish you good luck and good health.

Hi, I have to say I agree with Frink, I think you are clutching a straws a little bit regards the 'falling out of bed and banging your head' thing.

Regards the actual triggers it does seem that the first seizure happened after you had been pushing things and went for a nap to recuperate. Possibly it isn't whilst you are exerting yourself but the result of exertion i.e fatigue that is one of your triggers
I once booked swimming lessons in from 9am to 9pm and all of them turned up for once :roflmao: bit of a shocker. After ALL of my lessons I packed up my stuff and seized. Luckily my last lesson's father was in the Red Cross with me.

Might also be stress, I cant imagine the whole episode was very nice for you. I had a horrible neuro once, hated seeing them. Getting an eeg if you have never had one before and wondering if this is going to be life changing must have been pretty traumatic for you. If the eeg was in a hospital hyperventilation could mean you were stressed at being given an eeg rather than exerting yourself.

Someone mentioned thresholds, I remember a really good neuro I had told me that if you deprive anyone of sleep or food for sufficiently long enough they will go into seizure. Andy McNab's Bravo Two Zero explains this pretty well two if you like SAS books.

You have go two year before have drivers lincece as your nuro advised it and you not taken that advice you be heck of trouble if accident.
Each person has different problems with meds but most have none.
Sort of comes down to confidence in someone who spent his life dealing with this or yourself but sometimes they get it wrong but not often.
Many of us been on different things until you get right Med for you but most people get right one.My own person I would give it a go but that's me

Side Effects

super8,
Something that you need to think about is that any side effects that may be listed as being possible if taking that med are only that, MAY BE POSSIBLE!
I have taken meds for my E for 50 years and I haven't seen any kind of negative side effects in my case.
You can't determine if you will take any meds because of what MAY BE POSSIBLE. If you are going to think that way, you would never be doing anything because there is some type of negative possibility connected with many things that a person does!

ACsHuman

super8,
Something that you need to think about is that any side effects that may be listed as being possible if taking that med are only that, MAY BE POSSIBLE!

Plus something else you need to think about if you're still experiencing seizures and NOT taking meds: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!! Accidents happen! Serious, sometimes fatal accidents happen due to seizures. Car accidents, home accidents, burns in the kitchen, falling in the bath causing drowning or, like myself, causing serious 2nd and 3rd degree burns from VERY HOT WATER!!! I was in the hospital for 3 months undergoing numerous skin grafts and such due to my 1st TC seizure while on my way out of the shower!! I had been mis-diagnosed and was on NO medication for seizures. It was my sr. year of college and I was 22 years of age. As the saying goes: $#!T HAPPENS!!

ACsHuman said:
I have taken meds for my E for 50 years and I haven't seen any kind of negative side effects in my case.
You can't determine if you will take any meds because of what MAY BE POSSIBLE. If you are going to think that way, you would never be doing anything because there is some type of negative possibility connected with many things that a person does!

I've taken AEDs for 30+ years, lost count of how many, and experienced side effects, some worse than others. But IMO, taking meds are better than dying or getting in another SERIOUS ACCIDENT!! OR, getting in a serious CAR ACCIDENT and KILLING SOMEONE!!

Read about it here:
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_208523...sh-examined-2006-possible-seizures?source=pkg

Last edited:
Hello Super8. I've had seizures since I was a kid in 1981 and am still on meds. The drug you mentioned had been one of the first line drugs for many years (starting in the 70's). Today it isn't as frequently used as it once was. That drug covers a wide spectrum of seizures is one of the reasons why it often is tried, but as you said it has side effects. It caused weight gain and hair loss for me when I was on it.

I am NOT a doctor, but a patient who has been a dozen drugs over the years, as many as 4 at the same time. If your doctor insists on you taking a medication... hmmph. One of the first line drugs used today is Keppra (levetiracetam). It has less side effects than the Depakote you mentioned. You may consider asking the doctor WHY that drug is being suggested...Also you can ask if there are other options with less side effects that may work for you.

Sometimes we don't know why a seizure occurs. It could have been from any number of reasons. Exhaustion, over exertion, dehydration, stress, fatigue, diet. However because you had two seizures within a short time that is why they want to put you on a medication. My neurosurgeon gave an interesting example. Think of a seizure as chipping on a large block of ice. Each seizure does just a small bit of damage to our brains. Over the years however the damage accumulates.

--Travis

Sorry I couldn't read through this whole thread...that's one of my downfalls since I developed E, but we are at the mercy of doctors, IMO. I did what ever they said and took what ever they told me to. Those dam grand mals sucked! When I was put on my first med, (Dilantin), the seizures stopped. I'm now on Pheno. So I guess we should do what they say...who else are we to ask?

"This is just my opinion Super8"

Back
Top Bottom