Hi - 17 year old daughter

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello my name is Melanie and I am 38 and live in the uk with my three children. I am not epileptic myself and am waiting for my daughter to be actually diagnosed but I am pretty much certain this is what she has. She has partial seizures mostly and is conscious throughout these episodes. To say I am worried is an understatement. My daughter is 17 and has just started her second year in college studying childcare. We have been told that this may affect her ability to continue with this course. I am having trouble coping with all this. Becky for the most part is coping ok, I just feel so helpless and unable to help her . Any support given would be grately appreciated. My dad is epileptic although it has been under control for the past 30 years and so was my maternal gran.

Hi Melanie, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Stacy (my wife) managed to get her Master's Degree while having uncontrolled seizures and lots of cognitive issues. It is possible to struglle through with dedication.

It's a lot easier of course, if one gets the seizures under control. :)

Had her first seizure about 5 years ago, but did not seem to have another until recently, although looking back I think she has had partial seizures ever since then just they were infrequent and went for the most part unnoticed. Then three weeks ago she had another full blown seizure after waking up . since which time she has had partial seizures two or three times a day , which consist of being paralized down one side of her body, or even just one side of her face, her arm might shake or just her teeth chatter and tongue move up and down. She has no control and is fully conscious although is unable to speak . These only last a few seconds or minutes then seem to pass. She has to see a neurologist on the 25th October and has to have several tests before then.

Also think she maybe having them in her sleep as well as she keeps having terrible dreams and wakes hot , with a headache and sore tongue and she constantly has a bad headache and feels unwell.

Melanie - I have a Becky also. She had her first seizure at 14.
Dreams, hot, headache, sounds like me before magnesium. You might check out the threads here that discuss this.

BTW Welcome

melanielindsay,
My son has nocturnal seizures (19 yrs old). The signs you stated are similar to what my son has. He also loses bladder control and has a sore shoulder.
Marian

:hello: Melanielindsay!

It is understandable the difficulties of you
coping when you're a mom; naturally worried
about your own child, and the feeling of just
being helpless while it is all going on must be
a lot upon your shoulders.

My son is like this and I am his mother, talk
about role reversals! So my son has the same
feelings as you do, believe it or not!

((((( hugs )))))))

Hi

Had to see neurologist today , finally got my daughter's appointment moved forward as she had a bad seizure in her sleep on wednesday morning. Dr is pretty sure its epilepsy and thinks it maybe the same type my dad has , they have requested his notes and wants him to accompany us on the next visit which is in four weeks. They have requested an MRI scan and have prescribed a drug for her to start on. At last feel like we are getting somewhere!

Melaine:

Thanks for keeping us updated and glad
to hear you're getting somewhere! It's a
slow process sometimes; and patience is
the key. But fortunately, you'll get all the
answers hopefully and soon!

:rose:

Hi Melanie: Welcome to the board and I hope the meds the Dr gave her work and she has a easy controlable life. I got epilepsy when I was 11 yrs old and still went about my life ,school , work. I was brought up "epilpesy is not an excuse" Life goes on!!!!!
Wishing your daughter the best of luck on her new med.

Riva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom