Hi from Cali! :)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi! :) My name is Christalle, and I live in San Diego, CA. I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy when I was 24. I am the only person I know with Epilepsy, and nobody in my family has ever had Epilepsy. It has taken it's toll on my emotions and stamina. I get tired more easily than I used to, and have had many side effects caused by my medication. I am currently taking generic Lamictal, which has not been very kind to my body lately. I know very little about Epilepsy, and it seems doctors just want to throw pills at you to control the seizures. Any information/support is very welcome, and I'd love to hear about other's experiences. I feel isolated and sad. I want to stay positive, but that has been very hard lately.

Oh I am so sorry you are feeling so bad about the whole thing--the epilepsy, the meds, the doctors and that you feel alone. Hang in there. This is a wonderful community that has a wealth of information. Take a look around. I'm sure as you educate yourself, you'll feel much better.

Hi Christalle! I'm in Hemet... :) Not too far from you. :) Welcome to CWE. It's a great group for information and support.

check out the epilepsy 101 thread in my signature. That gives some great basic info. Then, check out the alternative treatments thread in the library at this site. Several of us here have had some benefits from taking Magnesium everyday. Robinn is the sites most outspoken nutrition advocate. :) Her daughter is using diet to control her seizures. So check this place out. Also, feel free to ask questions, chime in, or just vent. Heaven knows we all need to. :) YOu arent' alone. Just remember that. :)

Hi Christalle, welcome to the forum. :hello:

In addition to the epilepsy 101 thread Skilly mentioned, you can find good starting points on the best forum threads page.

Make yourself at home here. There's lots of friendly people who can relate to just about any aspect of living with epilepsy. :)

Hi Christalle -
I am just north of you, about a hop and a skip. In the Pasadena area.

I pulled my daughter off of the med merry-go-round after about a year and a half.
Her quality of life was lowered and that was unacceptable to me. I also believe that her seizures were increased by the meds.

We have controlled her seizures by making nutritional changes, vitamin and mineral supplements to support brain and body health, and also neurofeedback therapy.

There are alternatives, and research available to support them. You have to be open to the possibilites, and then keep digging to find them.

The majority of your life you were seizure free. Ask yourself what changed.

Hi Christalle :hello:

Welcome to CWE :) There's a lot of information here that may help you find the answers you seek. When my son was diagnosed with epilepsy, the doctors just wanted to throw meds at him and send us on our way. I knew that there must be a betterchoice. After a lot of research, I was certain that the only way my son would ever overcome his epilepsy and have a normal life again would be to alter his diet. My son's E doesn't keep him down. We control the seizures with nutrition and cranial therapy (zero meds). I'm thankful for the nutritional information I found early, when he was first diagnosed. It saved us from going round and round on the drug wagon.

Pull up a chair. Make yourself at home. Ask questions. Vent. We're here for you :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :) It feels so nice to be able to talk to people that understand how I'm feeling.

I'm VERY interested in alternative methods, so will you guys point me into the right direction?

Also, what type of diet changes did your daughter/son make to become med free?

I'd love to make diet changes to help control my seizures.

Thanks again for making me feel so welcome! :)

I'm VERY interested in alternative methods, so will you guys point me into the right direction? Also, what type of diet changes did your daughter/son make to become med free?

Hi Christalle, I removed processed foods, gluten, soy, and animal products from my son's diet. I make everything from scratch. A lot of the preservatives and additives in processed foods have been known to trigger seizures. Our whole family made the same dietary changes so that it would be easy on him (and it's better for our health). We stick to eating as much fresh fruits, veggies, and greens as we can. We also eat nuts and seeds in moderation. My son doesn't eat peanuts. There's several interesting articles to be found in Zoe's Corner. I also have a blog about my son's journey called Overcoming Epilepsy.

There are lots of alternative therapies discussed in the forums. I'm sure Robin could direct you to some of the best threads to read. She also has a blog called Feedback Matters that you might find interesting.

If I think of anything more, then I will pass it along to you.

Thanks! :) I read one of your postings yesterday, on a different thread, pertaining to a healthier diet & items to eliminate.

I went to the grocery today and bought only fresh/organic foods. I feel better just thinking about it. I also bought Zinc & Ginko Biloba. Hopefully, these will help!

I love soy beans, and I was unaware they aren't the best thing for me to eat. I know too much is bad, but it's now getting the axe from the grocery list...haha! :)

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out now.

I went to the grocery today and bought only fresh/organic foods. I feel better just thinking about it. I also bought Zinc & Ginko Biloba. Hopefully, these will help!

Anything you can do to improve your diet will greatly improve your overall health. It sounds like you are making some positive changes :) Good luck!!!

:hello: Christalle!

Welcome to CWE and just kick right back
and make yourself a home! We are a bunch
of friendly folks here and you'll find a lot of
answers here in this place! And also you
will find that you are not alone either!

:tup:

Back
Top Bottom