Hi, I don't know what my GF has, maybe you guys do?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

WorriedBF

New
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Alex, 25. My girlfriend just called me 15 minutes ago saying she thinks she just had a seizure. She was laying in bed then all of a sudden, while her eyes were closed, she said she felt this weird shaking sensation and her eyes were moving in her head and she felt a weird clicking noise or something. Now she says she has a huge headache.

She's been having headaches for a long time. Every time I talk to her on the phone she has a headache it seems. She gets stressed out about a lot of things. We are in a long-distance relationship right now and being with her is like riding a rollercoaster. One day she's happy, next day she's paranoid and suspicious. Sometimes she's really happy, sometimes she's really sad. It changes often and I find myself having the same conversations with her over and over and it seems like it doesn't matter what I say, nothing changes.

She cries on the phone at least 3 times a week. She's very emotional. She used to be on mood stabilizers and I read about what the medicine she was taking does: It can lead to seizures if you stop taking it or take too much. I told her to taper down off of it and she did and she hasn't taken it in 4 months. What always used to happen is she would get goosebumps on one leg, but not the other. It was always the same leg too. I got suspicious about this and that's when I found out that the medicine she was taking to stabilize her mood could cause seizures.

Now with this episode, I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong with her. I thought maybe she has a tumor that's causing this... Maybe the onset of epilepsy. I don't know.

Basically her symptoms are:
- Frequent headaches.
- Mood swings.
- Goosebumps on one leg only.
- Recent "seizure-like" episode in bed while trying to fall asleep.

Thanks guys.

Welcome Alex

Headaches can be neurological or not. I had a neurologist tell me that if they feel like a constant pressure then they're probably neurological but not if they throb.

Mood swings are common with seizures but even if she's just having frequent regular headaches I know I'd be moody too.

When you say "seizure like" can you be more specific?

Personally I would suggest that you tell her to see a neurologist and get a definite diagnosis one way or the other. You can check a few things out online though.

About.com's Symptom Checker
and Epilepsy.com describe all the different types of seizures.

Hope this helps.

Hi Alex --

Mood stabilizers can sometimes cause seizures if you stop taking them, although usually it's when you stop cold turkey (as opposed to a gradual taper). It's also possible that your girlfriend has migraines -- which can resemble and overlap with seizure symptoms. As Eric suggests, a neurologist can probably get a better sense of what's going on. If she will make an appointment, have her write down a detailed history of her symptoms and medications -- that will help.

Back
Top Bottom