Hi, I'm a new girl!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Yorkie

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've just found this place and thought I'd join! I'm 33 and live in York.

In February this year, I had my first seizure, where my body was twitching, I came out of the fit and was not aware of my surroundings, my partner and was generally confused. (I don't remember this, my partner told me afterwards) I was taken to a&e, where they took a blood sample and asked me to go and see my gp as the symptoms had gone by this time and they were unable to help.

I went to see my gp who reffered me to neurolgy where I saw the Consultant and she arranged an mri scan and an eeg. These were both negative.

I am continuing to have these episodes twice a week, I remember nothing about them afterwards and my partner tells me, I do not have the fits at the moment, but I gaze into space, my head will loll to one side, I start to pick at my clothing, lick my lips and then have no idea of where I am, who I am with etc and am generally confused for 10 minutes, sometimes I cry but am always left with a terrible headache on the left hand side of my head.

I had a sleep deprived eeg over 9 weeks ago and am still waiting for the results of this test as the nerology department seems to be working very slowly at the moment!!

My older Brother has temperal lobe epilepsy and absence seizures controlled by medication. He was diagnosed at 29. Could there be a connection?

Whoops sorry I am rambling, I didn't mean to go on so long!!

Hope to hear from some people on here soon, thanks for reading!!

Hi Yorkie,

First and foremost - welcome to a great site

There's no such thing as rambling on here as we all do it now and again. So always feel free to 'ramble' away at anytime, about anything

So, put your feet up, and get rambling :cheers:

Hi Yorkie, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Sounds like you are experiencing complex partial seizures. Hopefully, you will get your results back soon. 9 weeks seems like an awful long time to wait.

Hi Yorkie - sending you a warm welcome to this great group!
Sincerely,
JosieB

I am about your age!

How's going yorkie,

Welcome aboard I glad you made yourself known. It sounds like you definetely came to the right place to find info. and sorry your brother has epilelpsy welcome to the group hopefully we can help you with anything.
David

Hi & Welcome Yorkie,

Please call & bug the neuro's office about the results of your tests! IMO, I think you're having complex partial seizures and you need to get them under control soon. And yes, there could be a connection in the family if your brother has them, too. Tell the neuro about it.
BTW, I was diagnosed at 23 years of age and have experienced SP, CP, tonic/clonic seizures. :(

Cindy

Cindy

Awww, thanls for the replies, you are all lovely!!

Cint, I am on the phone all the time to the neurology department, but my calls seem to make no impact on them, I always get the same standard reply of "the doctor hasn't reported on your last test yet, but I will make him aware that you are keen to have the test looked at"

Keen? Of course I'm keen, it's not them having these fits and having to be off work sick is it?!! Lol!

The neurologist I have seen is also aware of the connections between my brother's diagnosis and mine as the twice I have seen her before, she has had my Brother's medical notes on her desk.

I shall continue to make these calls untill I get it through to them!!

Thanks again xx

Last edited:
Hey and welcome to you Yorkie!

I know how anxious you must be to hear back from your doctor! Keep on calling them. If nothing else, they'll get moving to keep you from bothering them (I must confess I've done this when the doctors are "dragging their feet" and not responding in a timely manner). You may need to look for another doctor if this one doesn't respond soon; Remember, you are in charge of your health...the doctors are your employees (feel free to fire him/her). ;) :twocents: :soap:

Your spells sure do sound like complex-partial seizures! :e: They sound a lot like my seizure activity actually. I hope you get answers soon!

Again, welcome. Take care of yourself. -Julie :)

Last edited:
Well, hello

there Yorkie! Glad to see that you made it here, to CWE! Mr B (Bernard) has made us a WONDERFUL home here. So kick off your shoes, put up your feet and stay awhile.

There's lots of cool things here.....the Library for research, the Lounge for hanging out in, Speber's Auditorium for jamming in, and oh, don't forget the Padded Room, where you can vent/rant/rave or whatever you need to do in.

Sorry to hear you're having such troubles, but the others are right, it does sound like you're having complex partials. It would probalby be a wise idea to start a journal. While you many not know everything that goes on during the events, write down what the witnesses see. Also write down EVERYTHING that you do each day.....what you eat/drink--how much & when, TV/computer/video game time--how much & when, sleeping--how much and when, meds--doses & when....I think you're getting the idea. EVENTUALLY something will show up to help the doctors pin things down for you. OK, the journal's a PAIN IN THE ARSE.......but the outcome WILL BE beneficial.

Take care!

Meetz
:rock:

Hi Yorkie,

nice to meet and welcome to the group.
everyone here is great.

Yes you do sound like your having complex partials.
You need keep on the doctor about the tests.

Yes with both you and your brother having epilepsy that can be a connection there.

Nope you weren't rambling on talk as much as you want to.

Belinda:e::agree::twocents:

Hello Yorkie~

Welcome to CWE Board. Nice to meet you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. You will meet alot of wonderful people. If you ever have a question just ask and someone will answer as soon as they can. Take care and hope to see you around.

Hi Yorkie! Welcome to CWE. As for your fits....yes, they sound like they might be seizures. And yes, your brother being diagnosed might be a connection..... My suggestion, if you're having them twice a week, have your partner video tape you next time and take the tape with you to the doctor's appt. I know, seems crass....but Epilepsy doesn't always show up on the EEG's. Also, keep a journal of what you eat and drink, how much and when. WRite down how much you sleep as well as any stress you're under. Then jot down when you have a fit, and how long it lasts, as well as what happened during the fit. (You'll prolly need to get that info from your partner...or anyone else who sees it.) Take the journal to your doc's appt. too. Try to see if there are any patterns.....see if there seems to be anything that might be triggering the seizures....such as lack of sleep, too much stress, too much caffeine, strobe lights, etc.... Hope this helps, and welcome to the site!

Hello!

You might consider returning to your GP and reporting that you continue to have frequent spells and perhaps his office will pull the right strings to get the answers you are waiting on with your EEG. Nine weeks is NOT the norm.

:hello: Yorkie!

Welcome to CWE and glad you've found this place!
And soon you'll have the answers and I can see that
many have responded to you already ... the hardest
part of it all is waiting for the test results to come in
and finding out the "response and answers".

Meanwhile, feel free to browse around and explore
and hang around with this friendly bunch of folks!

Welcome Yorkie
Hope you find CWE to be a great resource.

Thanks for all the replies. You are all really kind!

I have already started a journal and it is looking pretty full already!!!

Thanks again xx

Back
Top Bottom