Hi Im new here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just recently got out of the hospital i was there for 3 days. I have never had sezuries before, Im an scared about this whole thing. They got me started on Kepppra. I dont remember anything about haivn the sizures that I had, I am still scared. I go again to the docter tomorrow. I am 34 years old and just got dignoised with epilepsey.

Hi LostAngel, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Sorry you had to seek us out, but know that life isn't over. You just have a few new challenges to overcome.

Being diagnosed with seizures at mid-life or later is actually not uncommon. There are many members here who had their first seizure in their 30s, 40s and 50s.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend perusing the epilepsy 101 thread - good basic info there (some of which doctors fail to mention).

Make yourself at home here. Don't be shy. :)

Hi LostAngel - Welcome
My daughter has seizures. She is 16. She never remembers what happened either.
Another friendly member from California

Welcome Lostangel2774

My seizure disorderd began suddenly without warning at age 47. It WAS scary. But the more you learn about epilepsy the more comfortable you will become. You will have to make many changes and there will be some new restrictions but it's not the end of the world.

Hang in there it DOES get better!

:hello: Angel

Welcome to CWE! Yes seizures can be scary for
the first time you've ever experienced it.
But the more you learn and know the
less it becomes overwhelming and it will
not denominate your life! You will over-
come it all and can say "I have Epilepsy
but Epilepsy doesn't have me!"

:)

Browse around and learn!

Hi Lost! Welcome to CWE. :) The group here is really friendly, so feel free to ask questions. Just remember, you're not the only one. :)

Hello! I was diagnosed at age 28 so I understand your shock! Welcome to CWE!

Hi i was diagnosed a year ago and i am 18. this forum has helped me so much. it is a big shock when you first start having them. my seizures come in pairs. luckily they usually come at night. keep your eyes open and you can learn a lot here. i hope you find that everything gets easier with time. good luck and in the short time i have been on here i have made some great friends hope you will to.

Hi, I'm not new to epilepsey, it came into my life about 5 years ago, but I am new to all this computer stuff so hopefullywe can all help each other.

Hi Shauna ~ WELCOME. Please feel free to ask all the questions you want.
I was in my 40s when I developed epilepsy.

Cheryl -- You too are free to ask all the questions you want and need. OK? (((Cheryl)))

Before I had my right temporal lobe ectomy the doctors told me I would have short term memory loss (between 2 weeks and 2 months worth) not a big deal. The doctors didn't realize my short term memory loss problem until Feb. '07. My memory loss is more like since 2003. I had my surgery Feb 2005. It's really hard trying to deal with this especially since I married my husband 7/03. Life I have with my husband and kids now have basically been erased. It's been very humbling. My memory was like a steel trap. Now, I forget things short term constantly.

This is a BARGAIN - Snatch It!! Must Have!

My memory was like a steel trap. Now, I forget things short term constantly.

Cheryl: THEY NOW have these NEW
Calendars out (they're still available)
that have CD Roms where you can
install on your computer and you can
put the "TO DO" list on it, and plus,
you can record the seizures, appoint-
ments, and a whole bunch of stuff,
and I love MINE! It's the best danged
thing I ever brought last year!

Heck - I don't even miss Birthdays
anymore because I have them recorded!
(And my mom now tells me I'm without
an excuse now - *laughs*)

WHY?

I kept loosing everything! I've ALWAYS
had memory issues since I was little.
But now with this Calendar and match-
ing computer calendar (virus free, no
spyware, ad-ware, nothing) - it's all
set up that once I turn the computer
on ... It's there!

NOW while it doesn't have an address
book included, I've managed to create
one by going to January 1, 2008 (I
love this calendar, because it can go
all the way back or all the way ahead!)
And I've put everyone there.

This way ... I don't loose anything and
I do have it backed up on the CD. My
son also checks it to see what's up
there. It is a blessing!

I've seen them at the Dollar Store for
$1.00!

:D

It's a bargain - SNATCH IT!

I've lost things since my seizures came back, I have to write thing down, two or three times and I carry all this stuff with so I won't forget it (even though no matter what I always forget something) Sometimes I have to mimic to people to get the to understand what exactaly it is I want, I often call the laundry the garbage which just cracks my kid up. New things are the worst, If I don't understand how to uses them, it could be e crises. My mom thought she was doing me a nice thing by buyibg me one of those fance new can openers, that cuts the lid from the inside so there are nosharp edges. I spent 11/2hrs trying to open the can, buy the time I was done I went next door to her house crying like a baby and threw it on the floo, then probably because Ihad had a tantrum had a nic 5 minute long seizure on her couch. They sent me to a brain guy who determined my problems were from all the seizures, all the hits to the head, and all the meds. DUH!!!

My grand mal seizures also started with the hormone shift when my boys were born (about 30). I had been seizure free, except petite mals, with no meds for 4 years before that. Now I have sets of sometimes 6-13. They always are triggered by my cycle and the minerals in my body. keep your electrolytes up, and stay calm. We're here if you need us.

I went and looked for the calendar CD but, I haven't found one yet. Thanks for the tip I'm still looking!
Cheryl

Welcome from Ohio

:cheers:

Welcome to this sight. Lots of information for both those new to epilepsy and those who have had it for decades. There are places to vent and places to laugh.

The fear you have is natural and don't be ashamed of it. For some it is even a part of the seizure. As stated above, learn as much as you can and some of the fear will be calmed.

I am 46 year old, 200 pound man and very few things rattle me. But the start of a seizure scares the H*** out of me!!!

This is one place for you to help calm your fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom