Hi, just joined

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rydray1

New
Reaction score
But E is nothing new to me. I'm 41 years young, having E since I was 5. The seizures started out fast and furious, where the grand mal's occurred at least twice a week and could last up to 15 minutes straight. After I would come to, I'd be so worn out I would sleep anywhere between 2 and 6 hours to recover. Once I got into my early teens, the number of grand mal's started to decrease. However, petit mal's started showing up in larger numbers. During those seizures, I still have a slight loss of awareness but not consciousness.
During the teenage years I was able to drive multiple times, but each time was short-lived until I'd have my license revoked again.
Seizure activity during my twenties was pretty much the same, with occasional grand mal's and more than welcomed petit mal's. I was able to hold down jobs, working at pizza places and convenience stores without issues from my bosses.
In my thirties I decided to go to school for radio broadcasting. I graduated and landed an on-air position within a month afterward. My employer (in a TINY town of less than 2,500) was understanding of my E, even after I had seizures while live on the air. During those seizures I would press the "play" button repeatedly, going through 2 or 3 seconds of commercials, songs, etc, until one of my coworkers would come rushing to my aid or until the seizure would wear off if I was alone.
I worked there for three and a half years either walking or riding my bike during every season, even breaking my hand once while riding in the middle of winter.
After that I moved to Michigan to be with the woman of my dreams, which I had met online. And since I've moved here, I haven't been able to keep a job any longer than one year. Almost all have either told me that I can't perform the necessary duties or I was told my hours would be cut (because of my E, I'm sure).
Now I'm a SAHD hoping to get back into the radio biz again, but I'm not setting my expectations very high. Finding work in this business is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself. I'm Ryder Raymond, and this is my story.

Hello and welcome! :)

Work has been an ongoing problem for me as well. There are less jobs available here in the midwest than there have been in the past, and more people looking for them. So I've found it extremely difficult to find anything at all, much less anything that pays well or that I enjoy.

Just keep your head up and try to spot opportunities as they come up. Or go out and make your own opportunities and connections. Anymore it seems like it's who you know that makes all the difference in being hired...

Hi ryday1,

I glad you found this forum. Make yourself at home and visit all the rooms. Everyone here is understanding and can relate, they share what they have been through..it helps to know you are not alone on this ride.

Maybe you can find a raido station that has a funny show to join and you could be the stupid DJ (I hope that didn't come across as rude, sorry if it did). Then maybe they would think that you are doing it on purpose?

We have a raido station here where I live that has a morning show, with about 3 dj's on at once. One of them is the one that does the stupid things and everyone gets a good laugh about it!

Could you possibly find a station that has 2 dj's on at the same time then there would always be someone in the room with you incase you have a seizure and beable to help you with things?

You'll get alot of help and advice here on this forum, glad to meet you!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. To be honest, I have and have had, alot of involvement in events and organizations that are E related.
Currently I am the captain of a team of strollers that will be taking place at the Detroit Zoo tomorrow. It is run by the Epilepsy Foundation of Michigan, and my team and I have raised over $2,000. The whole Summer Stroll has raised more than $100,000.
I've also been to a Camp for kids with Epilepsy, 7 years in a row back in the 1980's.
And back in 2010 I had a Vagus Nerve Stimulator implant put in to help with the number of seizures I've had. If you're curious about a VNS, there are multiple results on Google when typing in the above name of the device.
Thank you.

Hi Ryder, just wanted to add my welcome to the others!

Best,
Nakamova

Greetings
i too had a decent enough job of 23 years,then they sold to a larger company ,they eliminated my job title tried to shorten my hours.i showed them ,the day the new company was to go live i had a t/c and while in the ER my heart stopped.long story short they tried everything under the sun to get rid of me,took them a whole year to fire me...

best wishes and welcome to a great place...:e:

Welcome rydray1! you'll find this is an excellent forum- judging from most ppl's foyer posts, everyone has a mad epiphany when they find this board :)

I have grand mals too and am pushing 40, and I soon found out 1 of my triggers was beat-matching tunes over 'phones - annoying after being diagnosed only 2 months after spending 2 grand on a load of DJ kit :p

With between 2-4 siezures a month, I've managed to hold a job down for nearly 4 years now, but I am VERY lucky with how supportive my employer is and am constantly amazed at how cool they are with all the time I take off recovering...

1 thing I have noticed though, is that I've gradually got more stressed out from my job- which hasn't really changed- and have thus ended up siezing more and needing more time off (etc etc etc).

Everyone's condition affects them differently, but I say respect due to any of us that attempt to carry on with a career... hell, respect due to ALL of us :)

Back
Top Bottom