hi my name is donna

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donna1991

New
Reaction score
hi my name is donna, i am 17 years of age and i am new to this site.
i have had epilepsy since the age of 6 and i had them really bad but now im onlder i have learned to cope with epilepsy.
at the age ov 15/16 they took me off medication i was having for my epilepsy i used to have 500gms x2 and 50gms x1 in a mornin sumat like that n two 50gms and night untill the docs took me off them slowly then i was cured.
i didnt have any fits for 2 years untill now i had 1 fit on the tues 6th jan at 8.30 it came out of the blue. i was dissapointed i thought i was doing so well.

Hi Donna and Welcome!

So sorry to hear you had a seizure after being seizure free. :e:

Has it just been one...maybe it's an isolated incident. Were you super-stressed or extra tired or something like that?

Have you spoken with your neurologist or doctor about it?

Take care and chime in anytime you feel the need or want to offer support.

All the best to you. :agree: -Julie

Donna,
Welcome.
It's frustrating to do so well, and then, a seizure pops up. I find my problems(triggers)are based in foods. Have you changed your diet recently? Maybe moved out on your own? Maybe gone away to school? Changes, even small ones, can affect your seizures.

Hey Donna,
I have a daughter that has epilepsy and was seizure free for 5 years until the absolute last dose of meds were stopped. She went for two years seizing and then we had to put her back on meds. You never mentioned what meds you were on. And yes this could be an isolated case but in case it isn't ,if the meds worked the first time maybe they will work again... My daughter had to go back on meds and has been one year seizure free.I wish you all the luck and I will say prayers that you will never seize again!!Take care and god bless.Let us know what happens next...

Donna, my daughter is 17 as well.
Welcome

Rebecca is med free almost a year now. We have found that nutritional changes, vitamin and mineral supplements for brain and body health, and neurofeedback have all been helpful. She is not seizure free. In fact she just had one on the 7th of January. We are now going to have a glucose tolerance test next week. But I am a big believer in nutritional changes. You might consider how these play in your seizure patterns too.

Any how... make yourself at home, and we are all around if you have any questions or want to join in the conversations. We bat around all sorts of ideas.

Welcome!

With your excellent history, something threw your system off. I know that if I'm sick or stressed, the probably of having a seizures is very high.

Try to remember what you did in the past several weeks. Did you eat or drink anything differently? Was it that time of the month?

I know these are a lot of questions, but every little detail you take in may be the clue as to why you had the seizure. Seizure triggers vary from one individual to another individual.

Last edited:
Hi Donna, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Unfortunately, there are many stories of people who thought they had the seizure genie put in the bottle after years and years - decades even - only to experience breakthrough seizures later in life.

There is a lot of great information and in this forum for those who are interested in being proactive with their seizure control. Make yourself at home here. :)

:cheers:

Welcome to our group Donna. This is a good place to start looking for the answers you want (plus obviously consulting with your doctors.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident. Even if it isn't, you may be able to keep it under control with low doses of meds or one of the alternatives discussed here.

Best of Luck!:rock:

i wasnt stressed or anything... can food cause fits. i havent spoken to a doc or anythin bout it. im one of theose people who like to put other people first and i dont like to talk bout ma problems... it was wierd cus i normally no wen i was gonna have a fit but i didnt this time no i havent changed ma diet or anything like that. i didnt no something so small can trigger them... thank you all for being very supportive. xxxxxx

Actually, YES

food CAN be a trigger....... you might want to check out the posts that we have regarding the different diets, such as the GARD, LGIT and others. Check out the Library and the Kitchen to start out with......

Hi Donna! Welcome to CWE. :) Yes, people can outgrow their seizures. And, unfortunately, sometimes they come back. Just think, you went 2 years without having a seizure. That's a long time. So now, see if you can figure out what triggered the one you had recently. Have you been getting at least 7 hours of sleep eah night? Have you been under alot of stress lately? Have you been drinking alot of caffeine? Did you go out and party especially hard for New Years (you know....drink alot? sometimes it can take awhile for the triggers to kick in. ) All of these things can trigger a seizure. And yes, as Meetz pointed out, food can trigger a seizure. :) Also, were you around any flickering or strobe lights? Because you went so long without a seizure, try to see if you can figure out what triggered the last one. Hormone fluctuations (like pregnancy, PMS, and menopause) can all trigger seizures. So start keeping a journal and write down everything you eat and drink (when and how much), how much sleep you get each night, any stress that you're under, any odd feelings (you know...deja vu, odd smells or sensations, migraines, etc.) , and if you have any odd feelings or seizures, what you were doing and where you were right before it. Make sure that you take this info to the doctor. In fact, the neuro may say that it was just a breakthrough seizure due to not enough sleep or too much stress. You never know.... So don't despair.

So feel free to ask questions, chime in, or just vent in the padded room. Heaven knows that epilepsy can be frustrating.

i am shocked to kknow how many things can se it off. i think it might have been te cheese i had at my boyfriends cus i went 2 my bfriends and we did lots of different stuffand we tried different knds ov cheese.

im happy now i found out wat can cause the fits. this site is really helpfull and i wud consider it 2 other people with or without epilepsy. thank u. xxx

Hi Donna, welcome to a great place! I am very new to E, but this is best place I have found to come hang out and learn.
It seems I have learned that, especially with kids and young adults, that triggers can change. I have triggers with lack of sleep, stress and certain lights. I just learned on here yesterday that my light related triggers could be also linked to seizures I had after going to see movies at the theater. With all the new technology, there are certainly a lot more new things that we need to be aware of as far as it could relate to triggering a seizure.
Starting a journal could be very helpful to finding out if there is a new trigger in your life.

yup im all with u it is very intreating to know what triggers them n welcome to the site hun. if u eva need 2 talk 2 and1 im ere 4 u. :agree:

Back
Top Bottom