History of febrile seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Fritz2

New
Reaction score
Hi
So far I have only had one TC when I was a teenager some 13 or so years ago. It has always been treated as a one off and I have recently been told by an epileptologist my risk of further seizures is now down to the risk of the general population.
My only query is that I had 2 simple febrile seizures when I was a baby (12 months and again at 18 months old).
I just wondered how many people here had a history of simple febrile seizures as a baby but then developed epilepsy at a later age, say from the teenage years onwards.
I read that kids who have febrile seizures only have a very marginally increased risk of develeoping epilepsy, and I have been told that having only had one seizure means I don't have epilepsy. However, the fact I had febrile seizues as a baby and then a non febrile one some 16 years later, to me suggests that there might be a low seizure threshold there i.e. epilepsy. The experts don't seem to be bothered by a history of febrile seizures, especially as they are quite common, and seem to discount it when assessing future risk, but I just wondered what people thought as to whether the febrile seizure and the later one were likely connected.

There doesn't seem to be a strong correlation between the two events, especially when a lot of time elapses before the "real" seizure. In my family, my little brother had a febrile seizure when he was 1 or 2, but but he's perfectly healthy now, some 40-odd years later. I was the one who developed epilepsy at the age of 35.

You know what...Its interesting.... I think now that they are finding that there is a corelation between the two. I had 2 when I was a baby 1 when I was 18 months and again when I was 20 months both gran mals nothing again until about 7 years ago then they hit me with a vengange about 4 years ago when they diagnosed me with epilepsy im 37 mine seem to be catamenial in nature. I am plannning ot go to either to the mayo clinic in Jacksonville or to Tampa General to their level 4 center for second opinions. My friend Cindy same thing she had a similar experience 2 febrile seziures nothing until her 20's and then partials she went to the Tampa Center and they found out she had scar tissue damage from when she was a baby if you can believe that on her left temporal lobe that was causing her seizures they removed it and she has been seziure free ever since its been 4 years.... so I think there can be a connection for some people.

Tina

Thanks both for your replies.
It's confusing cos I see the strengths of both arguments.
What you have said does scare me though Tina as that was what I was worried about - everyone tells me to relax and not worry about further seizures as I have only had a one off so far, but to me this ignores the perhaps more than coincidental history of febrile seizures. - not sure I'll ever relax!
Ben

Back
Top Bottom