Hoping for safe & healthy pregnancy...god willing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the place to share this...perhaps someone can direct me to another thread or chat room or group. But here it goes. I've been on medication for seizures since I was 15, with few breakthroughs and what I call small "episodes" here and there. Currently, I'm on 400mg of lamictal XR. (as an aside, the generic lamotrigine did not work at controlling my seizures.) All along, my neurologists have been very very mindful of the fact that I'm a female, and even as a teen, it was recommended that I take folic acid. I believe they were extra conscientious as my uncle is a neurologist/colleague of theirs, as well. But whatever the case may be, I was never really conscious about it myself...but fast forward 17 years and add a husband--fertility, pregnancy and children are definitely on the brain and for the first time in my life I find myself anxious. I've read most everything I can, including the report from the registry (lamictal). I know I just need to sit and not get caught up in the worry/anxiety, but it'd help to hear stories and know someone else is in the same boat. Again, not sure if this is where to share my story, but I appreciate you reading this far!

Welcome Dallas75219

Being male and single I really can't help you out with stories of pregnancy or fertility but I can welcome you to the site & let you know that posting here is just a great place to introduce yourself & ask any questions you might have.

Between everyone here there's a lot of experience to be drawing on.

Nice to hear about doctors being mindful of that. My daughter is just 15 and I hope all these meds don't prevent her from having children someday - but I'm told we have to focus on the "here and now" to get the seizures under control.

My neurologist mentions every 5 secs the words 'if you get pregnant' I know she means well but, as someone with no immediate plans for children it becomes tiresome. It's also hard because I've gotten conflicting information (being a female epileptic, pregnancy seems to come up with doctors a lot). My neurologist told me Lamictal is one of the best drugs to be on for pregnancy, but a GP told me that I could not be on Lamictal if I got pregnant - I'm inclined to trust the neurologist more.
There are more than a few women on this forum who've had perfectly healthy pregnancies and perfectly healthy children. I'm sure they can offer reassurance and advice.

Back
Top Bottom