Howdy all

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmarquart

New
Reaction score
Hello....
My name is Kim. I am a 39 yr old epileptic that will be getting a VNS inserted Feb 17th. I have gone through all the meds....So now it's time to try something else. I have 1-2 seizures per week. Don't drive , can't work and live in the middle of no where....live stinks as i spend my time on here or watching tv. I get to go to my childrens things when i feel well enough.
My seizures started all of the sudden in April of 2002...and haven't let up since. They are drop seizures NO WARNING..then about 15 months ago i started having psuedo seizures....i haven't had one in about 5 months so i seem to handling the stress fairly well. I am nervous about the surgery...But not too hopeful either. Just willing to take the CHANCE!!!

Hope to meet some new people
KIM :lol:

HEY SIS THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW

WELL YOU HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS COMING AHEAD FOR YOU AND I HOPE ALL WORKS OUT. I CAN'T BELIEVE WE HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH TOGETHER AND YOU ARE DOING THE VNS FIRST. I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU--YOU HAVE COME A LONG WAY. AND THANK YOU FOR TURNING ME ONTO SOMETHING GOOD HERE. I WILL WRITE SOMETHING TOMORROW. NITE. NISEY :lol: :D [/b]

Hi Kim & snuggles, welcome to the forum!

Kim, Stacy and I have been there before - grand mal/TC seizures once a week, drop attacks randomly throughout - it was not a fun time. Feel free to vent here anytime you like.

Hey sis you found the board KEWL BEANS>>>i am one shakey person today....so am heading back to bed for a bit....then i will be reading more here....huggles sis
Kim :lol:

bernard said:
Hi Kim & snuggles, welcome to the forum!

Kim, Stacy and I have been there before - grand mal/TC seizures once a week, drop attacks randomly throughout - it was not a fun time. Feel free to vent here anytime you like.

Thanks Bernard.....

This morning i am shaking like crazy. I get this way sometimes. So i just lay down. Never know if it's a sign if i will have a seizure or not sometimes yes or sometimes no but i am home alone all day during the week so i play it safe and sleep or rest..

Thanks for the welcome
:D

To Kim & Snuggles

Hi Kim,

I appreciate your being willing to tell us about your seizures. I am leery of the VNS! From the research I've done on it, I found it will be effective for some of the time, then will need to be redone in a few years. This will eventually tear your body up!

I ran across a website today (www.gfcdiet.com) (thanks Bern) that pretty much sold me on the thought of the G.A.R.D. diet. This guy is a vet, and has marked his findings with dogs. Epilepsy is specifically mentioned, and I am going to try the diet. It's very restrictive, but I believe that this may be my answer. I will keep you all posted on how it's going.

The G.A.R.D. diet says to stay away from the following:
Wheat, Barley, Rye, Dairy Products (especially cheeses), SOY (which will be hard for me, since Bern is a VEGAN and I eat Vegetarian much of the time), All beans (except green)...like black, navy, pinto, garbanzo, lima, lentils, ect. Also nuts and seeds (peanuts...and peanut butter, cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds). Another one is MSG and Aspartame, also corn and oatmeal (not so much) and rice.

Basically, the big four: wheat, dairy, soy, and corn (MSG is big too) (www.msgmyth.com)

Would you consider postponing your surgery and trying this diet for a week or so, first (no cheating) - if you don't feel better, then go through with it.

I've only been on it one day, and I feel great. From my current perspective, if it'll change my way of life (no more lethargy, depression, shakes, seizures, ect.) I am willing to eat dog food. I want the energy of a real person, (which I actually have tonight) and to be able to drive, and have a positive outlook on life, full brain function, and to be happy with my family and my kids.

I fully understand how obnoxious it is not to drive, and not to work (except housework), and how you feel after a seizure (like cow poop). I've been there. The best lesson for me was 13 seizures in 24 hours... and showing up in the ER, "status".

I hope all goes well for you.

Thanks for writing to me...

I have actually already tried this method and still practice most of it due to some of the side effects that i had from several of my meds. I also have severe depression and we are hoping that this will possibly help with both.

I have had epilepsy since April 2002. I have drop seizures and psuedo seizures. and am bi polar and manic depressant. i have gone through all but ONE seizure med twice. Keppra has given me the best effect so far reducing my seizures to about 1-2 a week.

I know that VNS is not a cure all in fact if it will help my depression or my epilepsy just 50 percent i will be HAPPY and thrilled with the result. not even asking for both!!!..i was offered this surgery over two years ago. I couldn't bring myself to do it then...i wasn't ready or at that point yet. I am now. I have researched my dr fully and made sure that he is qualified. etc....

I have an online friend who does the GERD diet and it has done WONDERS for them which is one of the reasons i tried it... I surely hope it works for you.

Please just say a quiet pray or thoughts for me ....i have been status ONCE....that i know of...possibly twice....

I don't care if i ever drive again. i just want a chance to feel somewhat normal.....i cover a great deal of my "pain" with laughter and smiling....so people don't know i am so depressed.....I am at peace wiwth my decision---althoug surgery is a scarey thing for anyone.

Thanks for your thoughts i appreciate your time in taking the time to talk to me about your thoughts it's the only way sometimes that people know their are options:)

kmarquart said:
I have an online friend who does the GERD diet and it has done WONDERS for them which is one of the reasons i tried it...

Tried as in past tense? What happened?

It didn't do anything SUPER for me...except make me loss some weight that i had gained[ mind you i have TONS to lose] I didn't get anything that is said it would--i was still very tired...and therefore my energy level was stil way down...i tried it for gosh well over a month i think...i still am careful as to what i eat...i have to eat as much natural foods as possible i get sicked if i eat preservatives....so i know that helps me..i also have chohns disease....so i can't eat a lot of things that are in the GERD diet anyway----anything with peels; like the beans or the wheats etc....they feed the bacteria in my colon and make me sick---i have already had 4 inches of my colon removed...i wanna keep the rest LOL
But as much as it helps my Chrons it does nothing for my seizures....sad to say
KIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom