Howdy from Texas

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan

New
Reaction score
I would like to say "howdy" to everyone and introduce myself. I am the mother of a 17-year-old son who has epilepsy. Doctors are not sure what caused it, but I had a difficult delivery that resulted in an emergency C-section. One doctor said that my son was deprived of oxygen at birth, and this caused the seizures. I'm here to find out more about seizures, what I can do to help him, and how I can get some comfort for myself.

I have another son who is 14, and does not have seizures. He is ADHD, but not on meds like his brother. I am happy to have found this forum to share with people who have similar experiences.

Thank you for being here, and for providing so much pertinent information.

Susan:clap:

Hi and welcome

Welcome to CWE!

You've found a wonderful place to be! Mr B (aka Bernard) has built an awesome home for all of us to hang out in. RobinN's a wonderful source of all sorts of information, and Buckeye makes a wonderful cup of coffee. He should be by with it soon. Just don't ask TeeTee or Speber to make you any steak......(inside joke)......they'll claim to be incapable.....BirdBomb is quite the jokester as is CQ.....

I've included a couple of links that you should go check out to get some more information. And feel free to ask any and all questions that you have, and if you need to rant or rave, well, we have the Padded Room for that.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/epilepsy+101.html

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/alternative-treatments-therapies-epilepsy-491/

Welcome!:pfft::bigsmile:

Hi Susan - Welcome to CWE My daughter is 16 and has had seizures for the last 2 yrs.
We are getting a handle on them lately though. It is so exciting. My daughter has a heterotopia and yet she is still gaining control.

She has a brother with high functioning aspergers.

Did you know that neurofeedback works for both seizures and ADHD? It is an amazing therapy.

Glad you joined us. Put your feet up and read a bit, jump in when you feel like it.

Thank You!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I feel as though I have found a new home. I am so glad it has a padded room. I can certainly use it. Hey, where's that cup of coffee?

Kind regards,
Susan

Hi Susan! Welcome to CWE. :) We're really friendly here, so feel free to ask any questions. Also, feel free to tell your son about us. We have several teens that are on here as well. :) Check out the alternative treatments thread in the library. It's all really good info. :) Again welcome.

Hello Susan!
Welcome to CWE. I am sure you will like it here. You will meet alot of wonderful people. Take care and Enjoy! :)

Hi Susan,
My daughter is fifteen. Two years ago, for the first time, she had two major seizures. I also found out from her that she had had several other ones when she was much younger, but that they were smaller ones, and that she simply had not thought about mentioning them to me. Well I took her to the doctors and eventually to the best neurologist in my area (people come from all over the world to see him). They ran some overnight test, which confirmed that she was having grand mal seizures. They prescribed some medicine for her. These had several side effects; mostly negative. Yes her seizures were reduced but her mood had drastically changed. She was sad and crying all the time. We went back to the doctors and they prescribed something else which made her lethargic. She would tell me that she felt as though her brain was in a fog. But the worst thing is that, if she skipped the pills just one day she would have a seizure. I felt that that made her a slave to those pills for the rest of her life. That was not OK with me. At that point, I decided to take things in my own hand and I went on the Internet to get more information. I found many sites with various suggestions, but none seem solid or based on measurable evidence. Than I found a site were the bloggers were discussing the use of Epson salt (sorry I don't remember the address). I also found a discussion on B6 and grape juice. I liked what I read about these three things and I decided to try them. That was six month ago and my daughter has not once had a seizure. Not only that, but she feels great; she has a great energy level, she's not brooding, she is fully active in sports again, and the best thing is that if she forgets (as all good fifteen year olds will) to take the medicine for a few days, she does not have seizures. My daughter takes half a teaspoon of Epson salt every morning. She drinks three cups of grape juice a day, sometimes only two. And she took 100mg of B6 a day. As taking too much B6 is not recommended, I stopped the B6 about two months ago. I will probably start it up again in three months, at half the dose. But now she continues to take her Epson salt and grape juice. This recipe works great for her; look into it.

Last edited:
Playing in my Pumpkin Garden

:cheers:

Sorry I was late with the coffee! I was playing in my garden yesterday with my pumpkin plants (see pic of last year's) and then playing with the grandkids last evening.

Welcome Susan. Have a seat and put your feet up for awhile. You have found a new hangout with lots of great people. Many are concerned mother's just like yourself.

I am 47 now and my E started at 20. I remember how difficult the teenage years were for me without E. I guess that is why I have extra empathy for our teens fighting it now. God Bless your boys.

:cheers:

hey - who keeps letting the Texans in the door?
just kidding susan, our host and some of my best friends here are Texans

Hi Susan

I joined the group recently myself, everyone is so friendly and helpful, I am sure you will find the support you need here, just like I have.

I have been an uncontrolled Epileptic for about 20 years, I was diagnosed at the age of 10, unlike your son I had no support from my parents, they ignored the fact that I had E and offered me no help or advice, I always think it is brilliant when I see parents on this forum seeking ways in which they can help their children.

Take care

Kim

Welcome Susan!......

Howdy from yet another Texan (there's a bunch here!):banana:

I hope you find some good info for you and your son....there's a TON of knowledgeable folks who contribute good links and experience so do some good solid perusing of the forum!

When you need a break from all that work there's some funny stuff and some music too!

Peace
Speber
:rock:

similar birth

I would like to say "howdy" to everyone and introduce myself. I am the mother of a 17-year-old son who has epilepsy. Doctors are not sure what caused it, but I had a difficult delivery that resulted in an emergency C-section. One doctor said that my son was deprived of oxygen at birth, and this caused the seizures. I'm here to find out more about seizures, what I can do to help him, and how I can get some comfort for myself.

I have another son who is 14, and does not have seizures. He is ADHD, but not on meds like his brother. I am happy to have found this forum to share with people who have similar experiences.

Thank you for being here, and for providing so much pertinent information.

Susan:clap:
I was deprived of oxygen at birth, too. I had low birth weight, and stayed in the hospital for a while.
I was on phenobarb, and Zarontin, Now I am diet controlled.

Hi, Susan. Welcome to CWE. I'm pretty new here and have found this forum to be a blessing.

I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 20 (and 9 months pregnant). I have complex partial seizures (I just seem to space out, sometimes lose track of what I was saying, etc). If I can't stop them, the progress to a generalized tonic-clonic sz. Looking back, I probably had the complex-partials for years, though they weren't severe, and I didn't know what they were. My son was O2 deprived at birth, due to all the meds they pumped into me. So far he hasn't shown any signs of E:)

Anyway, I think it's great when a parent takes a proactive step in their child's care!:clap: You'll find lots of support and information here.:e:
Morgan

Hi Susan, welcome to the forum. :hello:

:ridem: Susan!

Another Texan onboard in CWE!
:)

Welcome! Make yourself a home here!

texan

hey i live in south texas i have seizures myself just wanted to say hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom