I need a little help from anyone (and EVERYONE) on Lamotrogine and Lamictal (probabl

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Zara, you might want to contact Nakamova. My doctor is suggesting I take Lamictal and Nak was very helpful in answering my questions since she takes it herself and also does net research like nobody's business. :)
I will look into that :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A lot of Lamictal say "off white" I was wondering if that means it would have some of the sunset yellow colour I am allergic to?

Because it specifies "off white" instead of the "white" of the smaller tablets.

Obviously I don't want to be taking white 2mg tablets and making it up to 400mg haha

I take a generic of lamictial It is completely white with no black lttering. It comes in 25, 100 and 200mg tablets.

I have an appointment to speak to my doctor this afternoon, I am hoping he will give me the generic brand.
Fingers crossed!!!

Hi everyone...:O)

Im on lamotrogine too have been now for 7 years since being diagnosed...:O/ I dont suffer any side effects tho which is a bonus... I did have a breakthrough 2 nights ago tho which left me really emotional...:O(

I have never had a problem with lamotrogine and emotion problems.

Mainly sickness, headaches and stomach aches.

I take Lamotrigine and they are white. I take a very small dose each day.

One medicine that is for seizures and headaches is Gabapentin (Neurontin.) I was having headaches, I was not on Lamotrigine or Lamictal at the time. Gabapentin (Neurontin) got rid of my headaches and a lot of my seizures.

I am not allowed to take medications for headaches anymore - I was taking pills for pain and pills to control the headaches, but my neurologist decided to take me off them all and it has been terrible since then.
Which is why I decided to switch these pills, so I can take all colourings from my diet.

I did some research and have some links for you. I hope they help you.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) is mainly for my seizures. The fact that it gets rid of my headaches is a bonus.

Seizures and Headaches: They Don't Have to Go Together

http://www.epilepsy.com/article/2014/3/seizures-and-headaches-they-dont-have-go-together

http://www.news.psu.edu/story/332549/2014/10/30/research/link-seen-between-seizures-and-migraines-brain

The National Institute of Health and the Mathematical Bioscience Foundation supported this work.

They were both very interesting, where I do get the headaches which are purely due to my epilepsy and tied to my seizures - aswell as getting migraines, another cause for my headaches (completely different type and feeling) is allergic reactions.

Now since my doctor isn't allowing me my normal pain killers, migraine medication and will not add anything new to help me with the pain - I feel the only way to get some kind of release would be to eliminate artificial colourings as much as is possible, which starts with my rainbow of tablets.

My doctors are always a bit reluctant to give me different ones, I suppose the ones I get are the cheapest and easiest for them.

If I cannot control my headaches from seizures anymore (I used to treat it with codine and amitripline) or my migraines (I used to treat with zomig) I think dropping the colourings is the only thing I can do.

Hi Zara --

I take the plain white generic lamotrigine in the 25mg size, same as the ones ValerieD mentioned above. I know it can take a lot of 25mgs to get up to 400mg, so that might make it tough. In my case, I actually don't mind taking lots of the little 25mgs (five in the a.m., four in the p.m.). I like the flexibility about the dosing that it gives me when I'm traveling.

I'm sorry to hear about your headaches. Are you allowed to take over-the-counter acetaminophen? Even though I usually rely on ibuprofen, I found that the acetaminophen seemed to help better with a certain kind of headache I was getting that appeared to be medication-related. And this is a long-shot — but some folks I know were talking about how their headaches were less severe after they started doing regular meditation.

I hope you get some relief soon.

It may well be worth taking the 25mgs, if it will help with the headaches.
I don't really have a problem with it, as long as I could get enough tablets prescribed at one go.

They only allowed me to have paracetamol, but I am pretty much immune to that. So there isn't much point - I have tried aspirin, but it doesn't help for much more than an hour.

Maybe meditation will help. Do you have a place near you that offers group classes?

Yes, medication helped before. I got given a new neurologist, who decided he would take me off all the medication.

No, I pretty much live in the middle of no where.

Ah crap sorry haha!!
I did a course once.
Once, and only time. I couldn't get along with it, I can't get in "that place"

I found that out this morning Ruth, first I have heard of it.

I have the doctor calling me and second to talk about it, so those links will be useful! Thankyou!

Update, when I asked my doctor - he said he "had no idea" about if there were white tablets I could take or not.
Ignoring what I said about the internet.
So has had to write to someone to ask for advice. Surely doctors should be able to look it up?

They were both very interesting, where I do get the headaches which are purely due to my epilepsy and tied to my seizures - aswell as getting migraines, another cause for my headaches (completely different type and feeling) is allergic reactions.

I googled epilepsy and migraines and the first 2 links were about Headaches and Epilepsy.

You say that another cause for your headaches is allergic reactions. Have you asked your doctor about getting allergy pills?

I've been on allergy pills all my life, they help with hayfever and such, but not with the colouring allergies.

The doctor took me off them, but after being off them for a week I gave up and had to go back on.

Back
Top Bottom