I think I had my first seizure today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mike899

New
Reaction score
Let me start off by telling a little about my self and the preivous 2 days.

I am a 31 year old male that has no prior medical issues really at all, I have never been to the hospital except for minor stiches one time. Saturday night I pulled what you might want to say an "all nighter". I did not drink overly heavily but with driving and going out i didn't go to sleep till sunday at 9am. I didn't sleep all that well and woke up at 3pm, later Sunday i fell asleep at 8pm and woke up today at 7am. So i missed a lot of sleep and then slept a lot.

My alarm for work went off today at 6:00am, i snoozed till 630am and jumped out of bed after a long sleep. I got in the shower, while in the shower i started to feel nauseous as if i was going to puke. I got out of the shower, dried off, put on some lotion; basic post shower routine. I went to the kitchen still feeling nauseous to get some water, then decided to hover over the toilet incase i puked. I never was able to puke so i went back to the kitchen for more water.

After that it gets a lil fuzzy, I remember thinking to myself I am on the floor shaking this is not normal and got up.. Still completely out of it I made it all but 2 steps into the living room carpet and again I remember thinking to myself you are on the floor shaking what is wrong with you and got up. After getting up the second time, I was still groggy but i felt 10x better, the feeling of dizziness and wanting to puke was gone.. I could see in the kitchen that the table was moved about 3 feet against the wall, I am guessing i passed out on it? I have no idea.

All i can think is that I had a seizure? I feel 100% and am at work after a long weekend. No one was home to witness anything so I all i have is my own memory of the event

Hi mike899 --

Since you didn't lose consciousness entirely, bite your tongue, or feel any other after-effects, I don't think you had a "classic" seizure; the shaking and dizziness are signs that something neurological was going on, and aseizure is one possible diagnosis. It would be a good idea for you to contact your doctor and let him/her know what happened.

The #1 seizure trigger is fatigue, and dehydration can play a big role as well, so those may have been triggers for what happened. Take a moment to sit down and write everything that you can remember about the 48 hours leading up to and including your episode. Sometimes other stressors can play a role too -- certain foods and food additives, infections, physical, physiological, or emotional factors, etc.

I hope you continue to feel good, and that this is a one-off event (entirely possible).

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks for the quick reply..
I also started taking this pre work out suppliment called "jack3d". its basically an energy boosting product to get you through your workouts. In the past few days i was feeling addicted to it, my body would get really tired hours before i usally took it.

So friday i stopped taking it all together.. I see that the product lists seizures as a side effect. I wonder if it could of been a withdrawl from that.

The "jack3d" does seem a likely culprit, since it is basically an excessive stimulant -- this can lead to crashing as the stimulant wears off. I think you did the right thing in stopping taking it, but sometimes it's a good idea to taper down rather than stop cold turkey, so the body has a chance to adjust.

how urgent is it that i go to the doctor? do i wait and see if it happens again? or i do schedule an apt with neurologist right away?

again right now i am at work and functioning fine.. i do a feel a little groggy but nothing out of the ordinary after not sleeping at all and then sleeping an entire day.

I think you can hold off seeing a doctor if you are feeling fine, but if a similar episode occurs, then definitely schedule an appointment. And consider mentioning it next time you see your doc for a regular appointment. Be proactive with your overall health, and stay away from energy-boosting products that contain caffeine plus ephedra (or ephedra-related ingredients like the Geranamine in jack3D). Caffeine can increase the stimulant effects of ephedra. Herbal stimulants like guarana can be problematic too.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the advice.

I think I might schedule something with a neurologist just to get checked out and be safe but I will wait till the weekend when i have time instead of taking a day off of work.

overall i eat extremely heatlhy.. i don't eat any and i mean any garbage.. all home cooked meals with veggies and salad for all 3 meals. i just tried this drink out to get a lil more energy during my workouts.. I am going to throw it out when i get home.

That all sounds good. Best of luck and health to you.

Dear mike what I feel is that u should consult a doctor as sson as possible. Sometimes we keep waiting, thinking that it might be this or that, but dear than the real episode happens. When I started getting seizures we also thought it may be weakness or something, but than I had the major attack which really exuasted me and I was not able to get up for days to come. So kindly be cautious! See dear! If u think that less sleep triggers ur illness then take care and have proper sleep. Drive carefully! And if all u go to a doctor he should be of very gud reputation, an intelligent and experienced doc I mean, not an experimenting doctor! Please take care! I wish it does not turn out to be E. Gud luck!!

She hopes that it doesn't turn out to be epilepsy (we often just call it "E" for shorthand). Epilepsy usually isn't diagnosed unless you've had more than one seizure and there is compelling EEG evidence.

She hopes that it doesn't turn out to be epilepsy (we often just call it "E" for shorthand). Epilepsy usually isn't diagnosed unless you've had more than one seizure and there is compelling EEG evidence.

ah duh, should of got that one.

I have felt fine ever since the incident. looking back on it, I am really starting to wonder if the sensation of me "shaking" was simply me hitting the ground rather hard. I have found several bruises in different parts of my body since that day. on my head, by my eye, chest, back, hip, ankle. i clearly fell like a bag of bricks.

Aside from the bruises you're still feeling fine, right?

Back
Top Bottom