I'm a newbie to the forum

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

djw22812

New
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all. Although my epilepsy is under control (it will be 7 years july 4th of this year!), I look forward to helping others and what they're going through as well as getting any questions I have answered by people who really understand first hand what I'm talking about and feeling.

Welcome! I think you'll find this a great place to find a lot of people who understand and have great things to share, and we look forward to your input/experience as well. And congrats on the almost 7 years. I made it 3 until last week

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome, Blue Cat

Thank you for responding so quickly to my post. Congrats on the 3 years and I'm sorry about the upset of the setback. Keep your chin up and you'll handle it! Believe me...I know about set backs and frustration. I still have them but they're called LIFE!!! Not to minimize your situation but try to focus on the positive; if you did it before you can do it again. Overload on the positive affirmations like telling yourself, "I am whole, well, healed, strong and healthy." Even if you don't believe it, "fake it till you make it"!

Hi djw

Welcome to CWE.
Congratulations on going 7 years seizure free :clap:.

I had epilepsy as a baby/ toddler then went 21 years seizure free until my seizures returned in 2002 when I was 24. After my seizures returned I mainly took simple/complex partials with the odd tonic clonic. I tried 5 different meds none of which controlled my seizures so I had brain surgery in 2011.

The surgery helped control my seizures, after the surgery I went 2 years before I started having any issues. In June last year I started having funny feelings in my head & since then I've had at less one funny feeling a month. I go to an epilepsy clinic in the city so only see my neurologist at the clinic every 6 or 12 months, I recently saw my neurologist at the clinic & he thinks the funny feelings I get could be simple partials. My neurologist & I agreed to adjust my meds to see if the new med change will help reduce the funny feelings.
I am not to concerned that these funny feelings are possibly seizures as they do not affect my life at all & are nothing compared to the seizures I had pre surgery :).

Last edited:
I thought I coined the phrase, "funny feelings"!!! It's nice to know that someone else who knows first hand what it's like to feel seizure related feelings calls them "funny feelings." That's what me and my family used to refer to them as because that was the only way I could explain how it felt to them. I think I was also afraid to use the word "seizure" because I didn't want to believe it. Does that make me a bad person for wanting to deny what made me different from other people. Anyways, glad to hear that you're okay!

Welcome to CWE, DJW.

I've been seizure free for a few years. Before that bout, I was (maybe) seizure free for 9 years. Don't stop taking your medicine. Lesson learned. You'll be welcomed here regardless of your situation.
A bad person for not wanting to have a seizure disorder? Welcome to the party. We all have our different ways in dealing with things.
"Fake it till you make it." That's funny. Positive thinking keeps me going.

I thought I coined the phrase, "funny feelings"!!! It's nice to know that someone else who knows first hand what it's like to feel seizure related feelings calls them "funny feelings."
Before my surgery I used to have auras/ simple partial seizures which were 90% of the time followed by a complex partial.
At 1st I would call my auras a turn or a funny turn because I wasn't sure if it was really a seizure. It took me ages before I would call them auras or seizures.

What I have now is a funny feeling, when these funny feelings 1st started happening it felt like my head felt strange or funny then later on I had some where I would hear a strange noise after the funny feeling so I referred to that as a funny noise lol.
Luckily my neurologists know what I mean when I say funny feelings lol.

Last edited:
welcome to CWE.
That's great on almost 7 yrs sz free , I'm happy for you.I hope you never have another sz.
I'm not controlled but that's life.

Back
Top Bottom