from India

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi,

I am Srini.

1) My son name is Gautham Narayanan and his date of birth is 20-April-2009

2) NOT a Pre-mature baby. It was a C-Section and NOT a normal delivery. The chord was around his neck 3 times. But he cried well and the movement score was also good.

3) On the second day of this birth, he had Neonatal Jaundice. On the same day he had one episode of Tonic Clonice Seizures and diagnosed with Hypocalcemia, Hypoglacemia etc

4) He was in the NICU for almost 10 days. A CT Scan was taken during that time and as per that he had Cerebral Edema. Was started with Gardenal Syrup.

5) He was doing well after that, He was on only one medicine Gardenal. He Started Smiling, His Head control was somewhat good.

6) In June 2009 (3rd Month), he had one Clonic Seizure Episode and was hospitalized for 5 days.

7) Valparin was added at this time ( Gardenal / Valparin)

8) He was doing good after that with this medicines. We continued the medicines.

9) His growth was good, Rolled over in the 6th Month. The dosage of Valparin was increased accordingly to his weight. We were doing regular SGPT and Valparin Level test.

10) He was cooing well, head control was pretty good, he smiled very well, was able to recognize me and wife. Used to cry if some one else is trying to take him etc. His development was pretty good.

11) In Feb 2010, he started having Myoclonice Seizures / Jerks. Used to be 10-15 / day

12) Lonazep 0.25 mg was added, Valparin was increased. JERKS CONTINUED (Gardenal, Valparin, Lonazep).

13) He started having milestone regression, he stopped smiling, stopped roll over, not interested in any thing.

14) Later Gardenal was brought down and stopped.

15) When the seizures were not getting controlled and regression continued. Keppra / Benadon was added. (Valparin, Lonazep .25mg, Keppra/Benadon)

16) Still he had seizures and regression. By April 10 ACTH Injection was (Daily - 15days, Alternate Days-14 days, Once in 3 days - 14days, Once in 5 days-14days, Once in a week 14days, Once in 10days-30 months. Total duration of ACTH 3 and half months. Dosage 27IU to 30 IU).

17) With ACTH course, he started smiling a little, seizures came down but not getting stopped fully.

18) After ACTH was stopped, Emsolene mg was started ( 0.5 tab - 15 days, 1 tab - 60days, 0.5 tab - 30 days. Total duration was 3 and half months)

19) Keppra / Benadon was also stopped as it was not giving any significant improvment.

20) With Valparin, Lonazep, Emsolene he was responding well to the medicines and was back on growth track.

21) Emsolene was slowly brought down and stopped as it is a steroid. His seizures started increasing. Another medicine Sabril 500mg was added.
Valparin, Lonazep, Sabril continued. But still seizures continued.

22) In Dec 2010 one more round of Oral Steroid Wysolene was give for 30 days. Sabril was slowly brought down, as it was not working for him.

23) Seizure came down a little, but did not stop. Wysolene was brought down, Topamac 25mg was added and slowly increased.

24) Wysolene was stopped completely and Topamac reached max dosage. (Valparin, Lonazep .25mg, Topamac Continued)

25) Still seizures did not stop. Lamictor was added (Valparin, Lonazep .25mg, Topamac 25mg, Lamictor 25mg)

Current Dosage

Anti Epileptic Drugs
1) Valparin ( 3-3-3)
2) Lonazep 0.25 mg ( 1-1-1)
3) Topamac 25mg ( 1-0-1)
4) Lamictor 25mg (1-0-1)

Supplements
1) Calcium BB24 - 5ml
2) Carnisure - 4ml
3) Norma Brain - 5ml

As of now he is getting Myoclonic Seizures ( 15-20 Jerks / Day). After starting Lamictor we could see some improvement. He started smiling back, able to sit without support.

We have done EEG and MRI Scan.
1) MRI Scan implies --> Periventricular Leukomalacia
2) EEG is very much abnormal. Generic seizures.

We are very much worried about the his development, seizures and the side affects as well

Regd
Srini

Hi Srini, welcome to CWE!

(I moved your post to The Foyer so more folks could see it).

A big hug to you and your family. I'm so sorry for all you've been going through. It sounds like you've been on and off the medication merry-go-round quite a few times.

I don't know whether this is an option for you, but some have found that special diets can help with seizure control. You can read about those in The Nursery and here http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f39/

Best,
Nakamova

Srini,

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us.

It sounds like your baby has been through so much. So have you. It's so hard and I'm so sorry.

It's so hard to find the right medication - one that controls seizures AND has side effects that are tolerable. The patient being a baby that can't speak makes it doubly hard.

You are an amazing mother to provide so much strength and support for your little one.

Back
Top Bottom