Issue on getting a provisional driving liscense

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently applied for a provisional driving licsense and basically because of my previous alcohol withdrawal seizures, they want me to fill out a medical questionaire. I have also been refered to the neurologist by my GP after having a fit the other week as I tried to cut down on my clobazam by 5mg every 2 days which caused me to have a breakthrough seizure, I only assume I had a fit after I noticed confusion and uncontrollable neck turning then finding myself on the floor while I was playing my playstation (and I havent been diagnosed with epilepsy in black and white because my results came back from the neurology with no abnormality found) will this be a problem knowing the fact I have had a long history of alcohol abuse? I really would love to start driving and whether they will let me have one on the basis im on clobazam??? It treats my anxiety alot, I also suffer from depression which I take sertraline 100mg a day. Just wanted any advice or opinions please thanks,

Jason.

If you're in the uk, you need to be 1 year seizure free before you can drive x

I was told six months??? oh dear nevermind. I don't see why they would refuse since i have been noted non-epileptic...... and they were symptomatic fits as a result. I am in the UK love xx

I was told 1 from a single seizure, but if you had any more it was 12 months, have you phoned the DVla? They should be able to answer your question :)

They're lines are closed lol, nevermind....I will try and more advice from my support worker who actually sent off the application, maybe she may give me adivce on the whole situation.. Thanks. x

Jason,

howdy... :)

Have you had EEG and MRI? are u seeing (only) a GP?

Chaz

Hi Jason.

When i had to give up my license i was told that i had to be completely seizure free for a year before i could apply to have it back.

Mine was only a provisional too but i still had to hand it over.

Are you aware that you can get a free bus pass if you're refused a driving license for medical reasons?

You've just reminded me i need to change my address with the DVLA lol. I had assumed that since they still held it that i didn't need to >.<

hi Jason
not only are you able to get the bus pass, yuo should be able to apply for your meds free to.
i used to work early in the morning then they stopped the bus run and they paid my taxi less the cost of the bus fare, which seemed daft as that was free as well. But it meant i could carry on working.
Gary

Back
Top Bottom