Jumping the Rope

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
I'm an adult and my first Grand Mal Seizure jarred me past April. I've climbed many hardship ropes in my life nearly reaching the top. Now, my rope is horizontal, as I hit the horizontal floor convulsing. I've sustained yet another injury two weeks ago. I want to get a grip on this new rope but it's jagged leaving me helpless and hopeless. I, now, can't drive for another year and the prospect of more isolation has led me to this forum where I can share, gather information and learn how to cope with this new life. I'd like to believe that Epilepsy will not tear at the fabric of my life but now the fabric is worn and my mind is torn between living and giving up. To all those out there I hope to hear that there is health. Is the power of the mind trusty medicine. It's served me well before. Always - Laurie

Hi Laurie, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Glad you were able to log in finally (I just got your emails).

Epilepsy is not a necessarily death sentence for your dreams. Many folks live normal lives with 100% seizure control.

I'm guessing you were just diagnosed with epilepsy after the most recent second seizure? You're just starting on your journey seeking seizure control.

Have a look at these two threads:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-101-part-faq-part-tips-advice-1255/

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Hi Laurie! Welcome to the forum. :) Hang in there girl. Epilepsy is not a death sentence. And it doesn't have to mean the death of your dreams. You'll find several of us on here that have advanced degrees and work in various industries. The key though, is to get your seizures under control. Work with your doctor, and read the two threads Bernard posted. If you have any questions, just ask.

Hi! It sounds like it's been a rough time for you. Information is power and it looks like Bernard is definitely steering you in the right direction so that you can swing back up on that rope to the top again.

This is a rough disability, not just to lose privileges, but also to maintain a calm state of mind (really hard, I know!) in light of a major lifestyle change. For me, stress has always been a big factor. I walk my dog several miles daily and that has really helped my stress levels and keeps both of us in good shape.

I honestly think public transportation will be much more in demand within the next year due to really high gas prices. I just filled my van and spent a horrendous $60. I'm going to start taking the public bus again. My neighbors got a wood stove to heat their house because they don't want to or can't pay their heating oil bills. The area where I live has a county-wide van ride sharing program. We just have to call ahead of time to get a ride somewhere.

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome Laurie - I can understand your feelings as I watch my 16 yr old deal with this. I have learned to look at this a different way than what some of the medical professionals want me to. Instead of a label that will forever be with you, work to figure out why your life is out of balance. How did you live seizure free for so many years? Then work to get back to that place.

Good luck, there is a ton of great reading material here. Ask away, there is bound to be someone that has the info to help.

Hello Laurie, The one thing i have learned is to take your meds on time and don't be afraid to let family, friends, and anyone you work with that you have epilepsy. I am sure they will understand and give you support. I am glad you have joined this great group of epi's. They have really helped me.

Welcome Laurie. My seizures are uncontrolled so it definitely feels like a death sentence to me. I know how you feel. But this is an awesome forum with awesome people on it and we will help you out the best we can, they have helped and comforted me.

:hello: Laurie!

Welcome to CWE, and I have intractable
(aka refractory) Epilepsy, so it does feel
like you're on a "Death Row", but you do
not have to let it control your life and let
it hover over your head and reign over
you! You can learn to take control and
say "I have Epilepsy but Epilepsy doesn't have me!"

Feel free to make yourself a home here
and browse around!

Hi Laurie

Hope you are ok today mate? I'm just back from the hairdressers, and I managed to get through having my hi-lits done without having a seizure! Hooray!! Last time I was there, she put the hi-lighting bag on my head, pulled my hair though, put the bleach on, and then I went "BOING" and the next thing I did, I was pulling the cap off my head, and trying to run out of the salon, my partner was there and he managed to sort me out by locking the salon door, getting me to sit down, and I covered him in bleach, he was due to have his hair done too, he had to strip off as he had bleach all over him, so the scene is set, I'm sat there in the corner like a blithering loony, coming out of my seizure, Mark is sat there with his bare chest out, having his head shaved, and my poor hairdresser, who incidentally, is recovering from a stroke in her Cerebellum, was trying to keep everything going normally and everyone happy. I have no memory of this at all, she was telling me all about it this morning bless her, it must have been quite amusing, I always make light of things, you have to laugh at life don't you? I said, "you only wanted to see a fire fighters bare chest!" (Mark is a fireman) I said you only had to ask, he'd take his top off for anyone! We had a giggle about it, and as I said, here I sit now with my nice hairdo, and everything went smoothly!

I hope you are ok? It's 12.37pm here at the moment, and we are just off to get some shopping, I would love to hear back from you chuck, so let me know how you are doing, if you wanna e.mail me at home [PM me for the address], it'd be good to hear from you.

Hope to talk again soon, chin up eh?

Cheers Mate

Elaine xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Elaine you are my kinda gal!! I too have some 'interesting tales'. I often say 'I have hit the ground in some of the best places'! After all what's a blackout between friends...the last big one I had lasted forever but we still went to the restuarant (ya gotta eat) my friend loaned me her sweater to 'hide' my wet pants. Ya gotta love friends like that! As for my hubby, he just reaches over, props me up and says now he can get a word in edgewise:roflmao:

Fabric

Life can be as you have stated the fabric of life. At time we feel as if we are that coarse piece of fabric ready to tear and at other times we are like fine silk delicate smooth and exceptionally strong. Hang tough I too know the loss of a driver's licence one feels as if you have a friend on the other side of town with no way to get there. Keeep the chin up
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom