Just Finding out

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Greg and I was just diagnosed with Epilepsy two days ago while in the hospital for a revision on my left knee. I am in the Air Force and have been on active duty for over 18 years. I have enjoyed a somewhat healthy life other than my knees. Oct 2008, I had a total knee surgery on my left knee and three days ago, I had to have a new part put in because it was the wrong size. I know this has nothing to do with Epilepsy, but I always thought that I was pretty healthy and was very active in sports. My military career has been great. I even had a break in service for eight years and was a local police officer in Texas before coming back in. My knee surgeries have started the Air Force looking at whether or not I am fit for duty. Now, I am sure the Epilepsy will convince them to medically retire me. As to any previous thoughts on Epilepsy, I had no idea before the diagnoses. For the last two years, I had been experiencing the odd smell and sensations they state are auras (don't know if spelling is correct). I wasn't concerned until the frequency started to increase. I told my wife and she wanted me to go to the base to see the doctor. The base doctor of course gave me an antibiotic and sent me home. I count it as a blessing that I needed a revision on my knee and during my hospital stay, I had four complex seizures while doctors were standing in the room! I could not have asked for a better staff who jumped into action and immediately scheduled the EEG and MRI. By morning, I was told of my new condition and was put on Keppra. I kept telling them I was in the hospital for my knee and not my head (jokingly). I am aware of Epilepsy which has been in my family. My nephew who has since passed away from Epilepsy had the most severe case since he was born. My family raised him for about six years and the episodes were very dramatic and being young as I was, very hard to deal with. I hope that joining this forum will provide someone with hope and understanding as to how this comes about. I never thought that I would have it, but I don't blame God or anyone else because I do. I am actually relieved that I now know what is going on and have the medical treatment to support it. I also would like to help other military members who may be experiencing the same thing. I am in the process of a medical review board for my knee, but with Epilepsy added on, I am sure this will provoke the military to discharge me. Thanks for the support I have already received by reading these posts and I hope that I can provide support to others.

Hey Greg, welcome to CWE!

There are some other folks here on the site who are or have been in the military, so you may hear from them. I hope you can explore the site, visit all the different forums, check out the archives, etc. Over half of epilepsy cases are of unknown origin, so some of the initial adjustment to epilepsy can be in coming to terms with the lack of a cause. On the other hand, once someone has a lowered seizure threshold, there are a lot of things that can potentially be identified as triggers -- everything from lack of sleep, to low blood sugar, to fluorescent lights. I recommend that you keep a journal tracking any seizures, any side effects from the Keppra, and also noting things like diet, nutrition, metabolism, physiological stressors (fatigue, exercise), to see what turns up.

Best,
Nakamova

Greg,
I am just wondering what did the doctors see as far as your seizures? They just happened to be in the room? Did you have the odd smell too?

Other than the odd smell for the past two years.....did you or anyone else notice anything?

What did the EEG and MRI show?

Hi Greg, having wandered in recently myself I can say that the folks have been really nice and welcoming and I'm sure will be quite supportive of you as well :) If you don't mind my asking, are you of sufficient rank and close enough to retirement where you could just ride it out on "med hold"? It is something we use to do for Sr. enlisted in the Navy...not sure if the AF is the same?

Just found out too

Hi Texasirish,

I'm in a very similar situation as you. I just found out about 2 months ago that I have complex partial seizure epilepsy as well. I am also in the Air Force and have been in now for almost 15 years. I haven't gone through an MEB yet, still waiting for one to be initiated. I stumbled on this website, searching on line for some answers on what to expect out of the MEB. Please let me know what they say if you receive an answer from yours any time soon. I will do the same. Good luck and hope they let you stay in to be able to fully retire, as I am hoping for at the moment.

Hi,

I am also in the Air Force. August will be my 12 year mark. I have been having complex partials for a long time but I never knew they were seizures until recently. I got a referral to a neuro and went through some tests. The neuro didn't diagnose me with epilepsy yet, he called it altered states of conciousness. I have my follow up from all of my tests in a couple hours where I'm sure I will be 'officially' diagnosed and then a med board will be initiated. I'm not on any meds right now, but I'm nervous about those too.

It sucks for anyone to go through this stuff, but it's also kind of nice to know we're not alone. Good luck and keep us posted.

Laura

Daisy.girl,
I apologize for not responding to your questions sooner. When the EEG was conducted it came back abnormal showing spikes which they said were signs of past seizures. The orthopedic surgeon on call was in the room when I started experiencing seizures. I got out of bed and walked down the hall when I started having them. They took me back to the room when the surgeon saw what was going on. I was having the odd smell and going in and out of reality. As far as the past two years, the only thing was I noticed the smells and being tired most of the time. My wife never seemed to notice unless I told her.

Zoofeme,

I am an E-7, Master Sergeant with 18 years and 4 months in. By the time the physical evaluation board meets this year, I will have only a year left. I don't know how the Air Force will look at this with all my medical conditions playing a factor on being "deployable" in today's military. My Colonel is more than willing and has written a letter to the fact of keeping me at my duty location until my official retirement date.

Aicila,

Talking with the base PEBLO (liaison for the MEB), my diagnoses for Epilepsy is guaranteed to be reviewed by the local MEB, and referred down to AFPC for the IPEB (Informal Physical Evaluation Board). The problem with the Air Force is that this condition will more than likely make us non-deployable due to the availability of medication in that environment (so I have been told). If you receive the diagnoses, then you can expect the MEB to follow. Let me know how the appointment goes and I can provide guidance through the process. My package should leave this week to AFPC, but the IPEB is delayed for about six months right now.

Crainla,

You can see that we are in same boat as Aicila as well. You should be getting notification soon from the PEBLO on the MEB package. Should be started by your PCM. Mine just finished the narrative and the local MEB met two weeks ago. My PEBLO said they will automatically refer to the IPEB down in AFPC. Now it is a waiting game to see if the IPEB will allow me to stay in for another year for regular retirement. I will continue to provide updates as they come in. I am scheduled for a level 3 MRI this Friday, 4 Jun. My neurologist told me he will call me if he sees anything, but other than that, he will see me in 4-5 months. Right now I am taking generic Keppra (can't spell the name) at 3000mgs a day.

I know that a MEB is garanteed for me. What I, or anyone else in our shoes, doesn't know is the results. I was talking to my PCM and he said there is still a chance I could be kept in. I'm not counting on it, but I guess there is still a little hope. My current enlistment is up in August and so right now I am in a weird prediciment because of the timing. I guess the not knowing and not having a good time line is driving me crazy. I assume you are wanting to stay in until regular retirement? Here's a crazy question...

Once the MEB starts you are pretty much on a hold until the results come out. Which means no re-enlisting, no seperating, etc. Does that effect retirement also? Would a normal retirement be the same as a medical retirement? I obviously won't qualify for a regular retirement and I'm not that worried about a medical one if that's what it comes down to, but just curious. All of these regs are pretty well hidden and not many people (at least around me) know much about the process or benefits unless they have gone through it. And because there are so many avenues, even the people who have gone through this stuff don't know a ton.

Are you going to have to show up for your board? Does everyone have to go in person after it gets past the record review? I know that some MEB's end after a records review and they are deemed fit for duty. I'm assuming for epilepsy it would go beyond that step. Have they told you anything about what happens after it gets sent to AFPC?

Either way, 2 more hours and I will know what will be in the report that goes back to my PCM. Then I'm sure more hospital appt's and meetings. Fun times eh?

My enlistment is up on 29 Jun 2010 and so I can't re-enlist because of the medical code 37 on my record which means "pending medical review board". I have to get a medical extension on my enlistment until this process is over. They submitted the extension two weeks ago and haven't heard from AFPC since. I am just as anxious to find out how this will effect my retirement. I know I won't be able to re-enlist unless the IPEB will find me fit-for-duty with a limitation code. My other problem is that I can't pass the physical fitness test due to my knee replacement. I have had three surgeries since Aug 2007 and there has been no way I can run anymore.

As far as the medical retirement, the Air Force rates Epilepsy according to the VA disability rating system. It depends on how many seizures they catagorize you having in a given week. (I will make this short, but go to pebforum.com and register. You can find a lot of information on the military boards there)

THE EPILEPSIES Rating

8910 Epilepsy, grand mal.

Rate under the general rating formula for major seizures.

8911 Epilepsy, petit mal.

Rate under the general rating formula for minor seizures.

Note (1): A major seizure is characterized by the generalized tonic-clonic convulsion with unconsciousness.

Note (2): A minor seizure consists of a brief interruption in consciousness or conscious control associated with staring or rhythmic blinking of the eyes or nodding of the head (“pure” petit mal), or sudden jerking movements of the arms, trunk, or head (myoclonic type) or sudden loss of postural control (akinetic type).

General Rating Formula for Major and Minor Epileptic Seizures: Percentage

Averaging at least 1 major seizure per month over the last year 100
Averaging at least 1 major seizure in 3 months over the last year;
or more than 10 minor seizures weekly 80
Averaging at least 1 major seizure in 4 months over the last year;
or 9-10 minor seizures per week 60
At least 1 major seizure in the last 6 months or 2 in the last year;
or averaging at least 5 to 8 minor seizures weekly 40
At least 1 major seizure in the last 2 years; or at least 2 minor seizures
in the last 6 months 20
A confirmed diagnosis of epilepsy with a history of seizures 10

This is more to this, but this will give you the baseline as to the ratings the Air Force will look at. To get the medical retirement, you have to get above 50% disabilty rating, no matter how many years you have served. To get the "new" concurrent receipt of VA disability and military retirement, you have to be above 50% and 20 or more years of service. That is why I want to get to my 20 year mark, otherwise the VA portion comes out of your retirement check as non-taxed income.

To answer the question on showing up for the board. After the initial MEB (which is local at your base), if referred by that board to the IPEB, you will not show up for the IPEB. This is an informal board where doctors on the board make a determination whether your fit for duty or not. Once they reach that decision, they will notify you. At that time, you can decide if you like their findings or not. If you disagree with the findings, you can request a formal board and you can get a JAG lawyer to represent you.

Wow, sorry it was so long, but I hope I answered your questions.

Texasirish,

Thanks for all of the info. I am a MSgt as well, but my problem is that I am only just about to hit 15 yrs in Aug, which is why I am worried about this MEB. I have always had total intention on making CMSgt and retiring, so to have this develop, just blew my career plans out of the water. It's hard to deal with, hense being on this site. If I was over 20 or close, I wouldn't worry so much. At least I would be able to retire and move on. I don't know if I'll get that chance now. According to your info, I would only qualify for probably a 20% rating and wouldn't qualify for medical retirement. According to vMPF, I am showing ineligible for reenlistment, A/W MEB board as well. So, I guess it's coming to an end soon for me. I was put on Keppra, 1000mg/day originally, then bumped up to 1500mg/day. So far that still hasn't stopped my siezures. I am having at least 1-2/week still and my doctor just added me to a new medication today, forgot the name. I've got to go pick it up at the pharmacy now. I'm hoping that stops them. We'll see. It's hard to be at work and have them happen. I am scared to have anyone else notice. You know how it is, if you are working around a lot of airmen, other NCOs, you don't want them to see you that way. There is such a negative stigma with epilepsy, with people that don't know anything about it. All they do is picture someone having a grand mal seizure, convulsing on the ground, if they just hear the word epilepsy. I don't have anything remotely like that, so I don't want to tell anyone, unless I have to. To top things off, I am on PRP (well not anymore), so I am forced to tell everyone my personal medical information. So, I can't hide anything. I haven't gotten any word on when the MEB will start, so we'll see what happens with that. Good luck on your board. I hope it works out for you.

Hi TexasIrish,

Did you ever hear back from your MEB board yet? I have been waiting since the first week of February and still have not heard a single thing yet. I have been coded in vMPF with code 37 and it has an expiration date of 17 Sept 10. Did you have an expiration date on yours? And do you even know what that means? I don't know what to expect on 17 Sept. I don't know if it will expire and that's it or that's when I will hear something or if it will be automatically extended. I honestly have no idea and don't even know who to ask. Of course there is the Med Group, but honestly, I just want to stay quiet and let it ride to see what happens. I don't want to "remind" anyone or push the issue. Well, let me know if you've found out anything. Thanks.

Crania

Sorry for not responding sooner. I requested a formal board hearing in San Antonio. I went down there in Oct and took all my supporting documents such as letters of recommendation from my leadership. I met with my attorney who looked at the informal boards findings and stated first of all the ratings for disability were bare minimals and I could shoot for higher. I told him that my point of coming this far was to stay in until retirement. He agreed and took my package to the board for a summary review without me stepping foot through the door! The board determined I was a reasonable medical risk due to the controlled medications and based on the need of my skillet within my job. I was returned to duty with a limitation code c2 with keeps me stateside that has a hospital near the base I could be assigned! This was great news for me so that I could reenlist beyond my retirement date and now apply for my retirement date or 1 mar 2012 as early as 14 feb 2011! I will still be able to do my job and finish out my comitment to my country!

Hi Greg & hope all is as well as it can be with you. (Where does the "Irish" bit of the name fit in, bye the way?) - Just a Culshie being curious!
I was an RAF Reservist, until my epilepsy really kicked in and, as I worked Air Traffic Control, I obviously couldn't carry on as even on TTW exercises I was neede int front of a VDU, some 8 hrs at a time.
Oddly enough I've worked in finance all my life which also requires in front computer contact - but because I can take breaks at my own will, it isn't a prob.
I was first diagnosed with mild Szs which have simply increased in regularity & intensity & in 200 I sufferred a brain injury after a major, GM Sz which means that, now any SZ can be anything from a simple absence to a GM/SE - where the potential for trouble exists. I can have surgery but am scared shitless of the outcomes which seem to outweigh the benefits when I look at the only 4 things in my life that matter (Wife; 2 kids + dog!).
Your aura is exactly as I experience it before the onset of any Sz. I get a smell with nausea & flashing lights before my eyes. I call it my "Early Warning System" as, after suffering E for so long it's telling me to get away from danger, traffic & either sit or lie down (no matter where) to have the Sz. If the flashing lights are white, like having a torch shone off & on in my eyes, I tend to have a smaller Sz (PM/PS, etc but if the lights are of the spectrum (traffic lights, that tends to be the warning that "the Russians are coming"!!

last time I had one like that I woke up after fitting for 7 straight hrs, in ICU with tubes coming from places I didn't know I had places!

If anything the one thing this all has taught me is to appreciate what I've achieved & what I can still do. Also know what my motivations are & the fact that it's all for the kids. To be blunt, I refuse to be beaten by this thing and, as for the brain injury, there are quite a few of our esteemed political leaders, supposedly healthy, but who obviously have the same problems!
Take Care & welcome.

Col.

The "Irish" bit of the name comes from my distance trail of Irish decendants based on limited family records and my last name "McCormick". It's one of the few things I try to hold onto without calling myself a "mutt"! Great coat of arms to display as a tattoo but no nobility to be found. Tons of chivalry to be had in my upbringing and passed onto my son! By the way, I worked with the RAF Regiment at RAF greenham common from 1986-1990. Enjoyed the comradrie!

Just a word of advice

Greetings military peeps,

I served 4 years AD USAF and have been in the Air Guard for 4.5 years now. After experiencing a cluster of sleep-induced grand mal seizures in September 2010 I've been diagnosed with generalized tonic-clonic seizure condition. Since my initial bout I've been on 500mg Keppra 2x/day and have been seizure free. Honestly, I feel normal and am angered that these seizures happened without rhyme or reason. Epilepsy does not run in the family and there were no indicators that I had a seizure condition. My seizure-filled day feels like a fluke, but the military surely won't see it that way.

I'm now back at my ANG unit and the unit doc is submitting a "strong recommendation" for a waiver to the Worldwide Duty Eval board (ANG version of MEB). But alas, my expectations are extremely low. I am a PAO, which is a highly deployable career field, so there's no way my position can be coded as non-deployable. Yet it's an office job so I can perform my duties to the same ability as I did before the seizures. We all know the Guard works a bit different from active duty, so I'm researching whether there are any non-deployable officer positions out there.

Anyways, it's comforting to read these posts from other military folks. I just wanted to vent because it's been an isolating few months. I can't relate to anyone in my unit as I don't know of anyone else who has been diagnosed with Epilepsy. I saw myself serving until I retired...I love being in the military.

One last thing -- a word of advice. Make copies of EVERYTHING medical-related. When I transferred from AD to the ANG, my medical records were lost (and found a couple years later). I now scan everything and maintain my medical history via Google Health - health.google.com. In addition to saving records, inputting meds/visits/etc, there's a journal function so you can document your day-to-day health. I think keeping organized is a key to success when dealing with the military bureaucracy.

Update on my career

Alyteet,

Keep your hopes up because (I don’t think I have updated this posting) I requested a formal medical review board after the informal board decided to retire me with 40% disability. I went to Randolph AFB and talked with the assigned JAG who stated first, that I was rated very low for my conditions; second, with all the letters of recommendation to keep me in, the JAG stated he would petition the board to return me to duty. On my birthday, 25 Oct 2010, I was in my hotel room when the JAG called and stated the board decided to return me to duty with a C2 limitation code. I just can’t deploy outside CONUS and I have to be close to a major hospital. I have less than a year to retire now and will be able to finish out my 20 years with pride! So there is hope and it really doesn’t matter between active duty and ANG. All of us who face the boards go to the same place.

Greg

Thank you

Based upon your response, I'll keep my hopes up a tiny bit. :) I'd think the ANG would be more lenient than active duty since we aren't deployed as often. But alas, I won't anticipate a rosy outcome...just keeping it real.

Back
Top Bottom