Just had my first tonic clonic...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

recovery

The recovery time from a tonic clonic varies, according to the individual and circumstances. I need a good week or more. My tongue and stamina take the longest. Stay away from anything that alters the chemicals in the brain. Eat healthy, get your rest,and steer clear of toxic people and activities. (Hugs)

It takes me the better part of a week, too. I usually bite my tongue, and that takes longer sometimes. I feel so weak that I can barely move the first day, and I generally sleep for 10 or 12 hours right after. I'm usually up the next day, but I don't feel like myself. I feel like I'm in some alternate universe where I'm not really sure what's real and everything feels surreal for several days (the fear of another TC during this time is just about overwhelming for me). After about a week, it feels a little more normal again.

After a t.c., it's different for all areas.
Brain fog and togetherness - a day or two.
Sore muscles and body aches - three or four days, maybe more if I fell hard.
Emotional drain and sadness - weeks.
Tongue - anywhere from a day to two weeks (only had two where I've mashed it up, the rest have been slight bites, on one side or just the tip).

Hi Ivan --

Just wanted to add my welcome to the others!

As far as recovering from a tonic-clonic, it varies -- sometimes I feel pretty decent after a few hours, sometimes it can take weeks or even a month before the fog lifts. I think it can depend in part on what your health is like when the seizure hits. It's important to get plenty of rest, be gentle with your body especially if it's sore, and make sure to eat and drink. It's like recovering from a terrible hangover...

Best,
Nakamova

hey Ivan, I'm new here too. It takes me something like 3 weeks to recover but my seizures are really intense and I have back problems also. I have to use a cane depending on how bad it is. Do you find your brain "drops" stuff at all? so far i often find holes in my memory not like I forgot something and cant figure out what it was...more like I know something should be there logically but that area of memory is just black like nothing was EVER there.

Futureghost, I have the holes in my memory too sometimes. My last TC was on 9/13 at about 7:30am. I was working the night before. I completed my work, and emailed it to my boss sometime around 10pm the evening of 9/12. When she asked me questions about it on 9/14, I couldn't answer them. I went back and read the memo I wrote, and it was certainly something I could recognize as my own writing, but I couldn't remember writing it and I didn't remember a lot of the factual type details in it. I HATE the holes in my memory. I feel like I should know about all the stuff from the day before, but sometimes I just don't. It's not a good feeling.

The deja-vu is normally associated with temporal lobe seizures.
I have kinda of the opposite of that.
Joining the forum is a big deal.
A week recovery or longer is normal for me. Often I can't remember anything from the entire week after a seizure.
Good luck on your journey.

Back
Top Bottom