Just Swinging In For The First Time

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MonkeyBoy, thanks for your input. I was wondering about the electrolyte testing. What specific test are you talking about if it is not a "standard modern" blood test? Do you mean isolating Mg and Ca and comparing just those two ionized levels or something other than blood serum testing???? Her neuro recommended Mg supplement. I got her a multivitamin but it has Ca too. I also put her on Children's DHA. I'm thinking I should take her off the multivitamin and just give her Mg. Maybe that is why she has seizure activity again--because of the Ca??!! Also...back in November she was under weight. She has always been super skinny. I love to cook from scratch. I don't use prepackaged foods and serve a variety of dishes for her to eat. In the last 3 months (since starting the Trileptal and MVI's) she has gained 12 lbs--also grew 2 inches. I have noticed her body changing but still was shocked that it was that much in 3 months. I'm chalking it up to prepuberty growth spurt and sports exercise. Her pediatrician wants to do a weight/height check monthly to keep an eye on it.

The test that I am referring to is difficult to find a place to do it - most veterinarians do it on animals though... It is called a Ionized Electrolyte Serum Test. It tests many different mineral levels but Ca and Mg are the most important. To understand what the free floating levels are is crucial to any sort of supplement regimen. It will probably be at a hospital and more likely at a University research one in your area. If you can not find one then go for a MagRBC Blood Test. that is the next one to give clues to actual levels. The standard magnesium blood test will always read normal unless the human is near death because the body protects that and robs MG to put it there. As for removing Ca? Again testing will show this. Test even if you have to do it independently of your medical doctors. Hope that helps. Bottomline is to become informed and in charge and not be a sheep herded along.....

The test that I am referring to is difficult to find a place to do it - most veterinarians do it on animals though... It is called a Ionized Electrolyte Serum Test.

I'm very reluctant to apply veterinary care to humans.

Also electrolytes are electrically charged molecules and measuring them does not tell someone what they are deficient in though it is used to confirm various diseases (not deficiencies)
Tests that measure the concentration of electrolytes are useful in the emergency room and to obtain clues for the diagnosis of specific diseases.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Electrolyte+Tests

Last edited:
You mentioned magnesium and calcium and I'm wondering now because my daughter is taking a calcium supplement, I wonder could that have provoked her seizures and should I suggest she stops taking it?

You mentioned magnesium and calcium and I'm wondering now because my daughter is taking a calcium supplement, I wonder could that have provoked her seizures and should I suggest she stops taking it?

It's possible, however it would be hard to tell for sure without a proper test. It's something to consider, however I believe it would be best to bring that up with her doctor. Gather as much reliable information as you can, of course, and then bring it with you to her appointment and discuss it with her doctor and get his/her opinion on it. :)

Test and be satisfied that you have the right answers your self. Look for a reliable and valid testing site and if you can one that does Ionized Electrolyte Serum Testing and have her Mg and Ca tested.... Shout if you have comments or questions. Best wishes....

I think you are wrong about the Ionized Electrolyte Testing. It is the most accurate there is. Animal Doctors use it as they use many human testing devices. Because they use it doe snot mean it is not valid for humans as well. I never said to go to a animal doctor to be tested either. It is the measure of the free floating minerals - Mg and Ca that help show the clues to deficiency or not.

I think you are wrong about the Ionized Electrolyte Testing. It is the most accurate there is. Animal Doctors use it as they use many human testing devices. Because they use it doe snot mean it is not valid for humans as well. I never said to go to a animal doctor to be tested either. It is the measure of the free floating minerals - Mg and Ca that help show the clues to deficiency or not.

Because they use it does not mean it is not good on humans but why is it so hard to find this test except online & on vets?

Also, why would you think it is the most accurate?

They are not the only ones that use it.... think about why many doctors do not use it? Not real hard to figure out if one stops to think. Animal doctors first discovered magnesium deficiency in the 1800s - they called it Grass Tetany which still is understood today. Cattle get magnesium deficient in the spring because the new grasses do not have enough mineral uptake yet. The animal doctors today still administer Mg to them in the spring when they show signs of being deficient. BTW - most animal blood serum levels are not if any different than humans so it is a easy fit.

I would rather listen to a doctor that is familiar with the human body than one that is familiar with animals like cows who have different physical needs & functions.

They are not the only ones that use it.... think about why many doctors do not use it? Not real hard to figure out if one stops to think.

I'm curious what your belief is....
When it comes to tests, the medical profession is always looking to be more effecient.

An X-Ray is not a reliable test for testing soft tissue, so many scans have been developed since the X-ray was created to refine scans. MRI, CT, PET scans... to name a few.

If they weren't looking to make the scans more reliable, wouldn't they just stick to trying to work with X-ray scans?

Methods of testing blood are much the same. Our ability to refine the blood draws and isolate specific compounds and genetic material for testing increases every year. Why would they stick to a less-reliable method when other methods have been proven to be more effective? That's the exact opposite of what the medical and scientific communities want.

I would like to understand what's behind it, and if vets can help to explain the physiological why's that's good, but I would then get my treatment from a human-doctor. I'm at the stage where I need to learn as much as I can, from whoever I can, espceially those who have learned to deal successfully with this disease.

The magnesium/calcium balance affects the irritability/action of neuro-transmitters in some way to make siezures more likely?

My Grandpa was a vet in the thirties/forties, and many of my mother's cohort spent years in sanatoria suffering TB: he kept her safe by severly restricting the household's use of milk which he, as a vet, knew was the hazard in the days before it was routinely treated; She escaped TB but she had lost all her teeth by 18 and died with osteporosis as a consequence of his wisdom....

Last edited:
Bathtub you are on it and thinking in the right direction. I would advise that you read everything that RobinN has posted about her own daughter. You will find many great things there to include magnesium. Ping me if you want to discuss more.....

No more discussions with you epileric - too closed minded. We will agree to disagree.
Easy there, MonkeyBoy. No personal digs here at CWE please.

Neuro-transmitters, even. I can't do this edit thing.

Last edited:
Here is a "certified" university hospital that is doing valid ionized electrolyte serum testing - especially Ca and Mg.... pretty valid in my humble opinion...... Read down their page thru the list of services and you will find it. Amazing what a little research can find.

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/medical-staff-update/2010-aug-sept/page13.html

That doesn't answer the question though.

The question is, if it's so effective, why isn't it standard practice for all doctors? Primary Care Physicians or Neurologists or any other doctor?

Pointing out that the test is done at a single location does not answer the question of why it's not standard care.

My next question is what do they use it for? Like I said it's used for finding various diseases but I've never heard of it used to determine deficiencies.

Back
Top Bottom