Kayleighs Petition

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin.l

New
Reaction score
We are trying to get the Goverment in the United Kingdom to make changes in the law and are running an online petition. Please visit www.kayleighmc.co.uk

I DON'T WANT THIS HAPPENING AGAIN

DISTRAUGHT mum Jean Murphy is this week fighting for justice after her epileptic daughter's death.

She is campaigning to prevent other youngsters suffering the same fate as 15-year-old Kayleigh Macilwraith-Christie.

As the Gazette has revealed, Kayleigh had to wait at least 30 minutes for an ambulance - which turned up with no paramedic on board.

The crew of emergency medical technicians could not administer the potentially life-saving muscle relaxant.

Kayleigh's family said she did not get vital drugs until she reached hospital at least 45 minutes after she started fitting.

But the London Ambulance Service, which is carrying out an investigation, employs 1,665 emergency medical technicians and only 825 paramedics - and says it is normal for ambulances to have technician-only crews.

Ms Murphy, 46, who lives on the Market Estate off North Road, Holloway, has started a petition to get paramedics on all London ambulances.

She said: "Everybody I've spoken to, including the doctor's surgery, assumes there's a paramedic on board every ambulance.

"My daughter's life was lost because there wasn't. I don't want anything like this happening again.

"Paramedics themselves are telling me to do this. They are saying that the situation is dangerous."

Ms Murphy, who got about 300 signatures in the first two days alone, wants to get at least 7,000 in the hope that it will be discussed in parliament.

Her campaign is being backed by the Market Estate Tenants and Residents' Association.

Chairwoman Sharon Jobe said: "We will back Jean. We don't want another child dying."

Pressure group London Health Emergency has also expressed its support.

Head of campaigns Geoff Martin said: "Ambulances should be fully equipped with the equipment and staff to deal with all eventualities. It's logical commonsense, particularly bearing in mind the pressure on accident and emergency departments."

That's a sad story Martin. It's possible Stacy would not be here today if paramedics had not been in the ambulance just about a year ago today.

Are there enough paramedics over there to fill the demand if all ambulances required one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom