Keppra and how long does it stay in your system?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cherie50

New
Reaction score
My husband recently had two brain surgeries. He was put on keppra to prevent seizures. He accidently took two 500mg tablets within a 3 hour space of time. He has been sleeping since. He has awakened to use the bathroom, but is very unsteady on his feet. His blood sugars are very high. I was wondering how long does keppra stay in your system. It has been around 34 hours since he had taken the last dose. In fact, he hasn't even taken any medication since that time.

thank you

He should probably start trying to get on a regular med schedule but I would highly suggest asking the pharmacist that you got the Keppra from. Their advice will be more informed & specific to their training than anyone here.

I take Keppra twice a day, two 750mg pills in the morning @ 8am then 2 pills @ 8pm.

I think 12hrs hour between taking pills should be safe, but everybody is different, I think it depends on weight and many of other factors, so call you primary care physician or call a pharmacist to be safe.

I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra a day, 3- 500 mgs. in the morning and 3- 500 mgs. @ bedtime. I also have Type 1 Diabetes and sometimes my blood sugar is high, but there are other factors to consider, also. My endocrinologist has checked into Keppra and hasn't found it to be a contributing factor to high blood sugar. Like Eric said, speak to the pharmacist.

Back
Top Bottom