Keppra (new member)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to find information regarding Keppra. To give you a little background, my nephew whose 29 yrs old, lost speech, language and memory when he was 7 1/2 due to a Dr. giving him the wrong medication. He is allergic to Pencillian and the Dr. gave him Ceclor (a deritive of Pencillin). He is allergic to Phenobarbital, Dylantin, Mysoline and Sulfa. He is currently on Tegretol XR (400 mg 2 times a day), Neuronton (1600 mgs 3 times a day), Lorazepem (1 mg 2 times a day) and Temazepam (15 mg at night - to help him sleep). He continues to have seizures and arm jerks/switches. We went to a new Neurologist in our area but she is reluctant to put him on Keppra because he has had problems in the past with mood swings (hostile and irritable). His general Physician thinks we should try it but with past history of how drugs have affected him, we just don't know if it's wise and because he doesn't talk, he isn't able to tell you what side effects he is experiencing. He has broken his collarbone in the past 6 months and re-injured it like 4 times from having seizures and falling straight down.

Are any of you on Keppra? What side effects do you have? Has it stopped or reduced your seizure activity?

We have noticed over the past 22 yrs. that it takes anywhere from 2 wks. to a month to get the medicine regulated in his system. Sometimes it's like being on a roller coaster of emotions for him.

Thanks for any information you can give us.
God bless!

I am on Keppra but I just started it on 12/6/07. They started me on a very low dose and I am to increase by half a pill as I tollerate it. So far I think I have tollerated it very well. The only major side effect I have had is drowsiness. I have increased the dosage every 3 days or so and I think I have begun to tolerate it more and more. My seizures are of the absence and simple partial variety. Being on a low dose still I don't think I can comment on it's effect on my seizures.

Are you on any other medications for the seizures? And if so are they trying to take you off of them while adding Keppra?

With my nephew, they tried to take him off of Tegretol years ago and get him more on Neuronton but it didn't work that well (he had more seizures).

Thanks for your input!
God bless!

Welcome Angel Wings.
My daughter is on Trileptal, and we are having a tough time finding something that works well, with minimum side effects.

There are a few here in the forum that have experience with Keppra, so I am sure they will put in their two cents.

I am going to move your post to The Foyer so others will be more likely to see it and welcome you.

Thanks! I didn't know exactly where it should be posted at!

Last edited:
I was only diagnosed on 12/6/07 at age 28. The etiology of my seizures is unknown. At this time I am not on any other medications. My doctor talked about trying me on Lamictal if the Keppra is not agreeable with me. I am also hoping to get pregnant by this time next year so there are certain medications that my neuro definately is NOT considering because of the high incidence of birth defects.

Hi again AngelWings -
This house is getting bigger and bigger every day, so we all get lost from time to time. Luckily Bernard has made it really easy to move around. He even allows us to put art up from time to time. Being an artist that is really important. You do have to be careful thought. Sometimes you might find a few folks snickering in the corner over a silly videoclip.

Talk about meds.... I just went to pick up a refill and was told that that brand was no longer available. I do know that the FDA put up a warning, but to just pull it. Now don't you think the doctor should have called each and ever patient that was using that particular drug?

More reason to go natural, and to find the causes and not mask the darn thing.

Hi AngelWings, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Vitamin B6 supplements can help curb the side effects of Keppra (but too much can interfere with it).

Hi angelwings,

Keppra can cause mood swings crying spells anxiety tired during the day the b6 supplements you should ask the neuro about .... they actually help the mood swings... which for me have pretty much gone after three months... at first i had headaches which also went away.... although keppra makes me overly tired at times im also taking klonopin about 1/2 sometimes 1 mg a day.... multi vits b6 septra I have noticed that i can tolerate other meds while on keppra... like the septra... my sps are almost gone and hardly have any auras while taking keppra.... i have noticed though that my seizures changed " different as i couldnt move during the last one body went weak then stiffend even though i dont have them everyday now ....keppra is the only E med im taking though....

Last edited:
:hello: Angelwings

I could take Keppra to a degree but
after that until I reached 3000 mg a
day - it caused problems. Some people
can take it and some people can't.

Just remember to keep a close rapport
with your Doctor!

:)

Welcome to CWE!

My Keppra experience

I'm on Tegretol CR. 800mg twice daily. A little while ago I was put on Keppra & it was hell. I lost my co-ordination, my sense of space & distance. After a while those side-effects subsided but now I couldn't read & retain more than a sentence or 2. I had no focus & felt like I was constantly asleep mentally. As well I felt paranoid, partially because I knew my mind was not quite right & I was very quick to anger but slow to calm down. All this & my seizures got worse.

All this stopped as soon as I was taken off Keppra.

From what you wrote your neurologist sounds like she knows what she's talking about. I've found that generally the neurologists are more familiar than the GP's on E. & the drugs used.

Also if you go to the kitchen (on this site) & look at the thread "had a seizure last night" you will see birdbomb posted for me a list of sites where you can look up the effects of various medications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom