Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > The Foyer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
New Here

Send a message via MSN to mckenzie_boo

Question keppra rage triggerin seizures??????

i'm currently on keppra & all the crappy side effects that people seem 2 experience wiv this drug, i seem 2 get them all & then sum!!! but the worst bein keppra rage & anytime i seem 2 get this bad, i always seem 2 ave a grand mal seizure, but they seem alot worse than the grand mals that i would normally ave.
they seem 2 happen alot easier, alot kwika & alot mor severe, they also seem 2 last that little bit longa than usual & the recovery period is longa & harder aswell.

Does anyone ave this problem? or has ever experienced this problem?
or is it just me goin mad?
please help as i am so confused rite now????.
cheers everyone x
The Following User Says Thank You to mckenzie_boo For This Useful Post:
eagleman (09-29-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Venerable Voice of CWE

don't worry, your not crazy! I have not experienced rage on Keppra, but hang tight, I am sure that someone here will be able to help you! Good luck!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

If kicking a hole in the wall because I'm mad at the phone company defines rage then I've experienced the "Kepprage" and it sucks. I do take a 100mg B6 vitamin morning and evening and that has helped immensly!
I am thinking that when I am off of the Zonisamide for a bit and after I get my VNS replaced real soon, I will talk to my dr about getting back on Lamictal again.
Sorry you are experiencing the 'rage' it's horrible I know.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 AM
New Here

Send a message via MSN to mckenzie_boo
cheers 4 the replies peeps x
i had 2 laugh @ the "kickin a hole in the wall" thing......purely cos u should c my kitchen cupboards, i've kicked all of the cupboard doors in & the r currently bein held 2geva wiv duck tape,lol. i bought myself sum vit b6 yesterday & started on it immediatley. i'm still doin my online research wiv this 1 & i am prepared 2 try anythin that has helped any1 else wiv this problem!!!!
i've got an appt wiv my neurologist on 24th aug & i will b discussin this problem wiv him & c wot he has 2 say about it!!!!
but once again.....thanks 4 the replies.....i really appreciate it x (mainly cos i dont feel so fruitloop now,lol) xxx
The Following User Says Thank You to mckenzie_boo For This Useful Post:
eagleman (09-29-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:27 AM

Hey boo,

We are all a little "fruitloop" now end then! hang in there!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
New Here

Send a message via Yahoo to nealymouse

Smile

I was on Keppra and boy did I have the Keppra rage. I didnt notice at 1st but after 3 months it became really apparent.

I was on my tiny lap top and for what ever reason it was not hooking up to the internet so I threw it off my deck, from the second floor. It didnt smash into teeny tiny pieces either so I marched my body down and out the door and made sure it was smashed into the teeny tiny pieces I expected it to be in when I threw it in the 1st place!

I called the Dr in the morning and got myself off that drug. It was poison to me. It did sort of become a joke though and when ever our friends come from out of state he will remind me that "this" tiny lap top is "his" and do not get any ideas of throwing it off any decks ok?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 PM

hi. i am on keppra. i went through keppra-rage effects. probably between month 3 to 9 after i first got started on it. the rage seems to have subsided and settled down now. i also started taking lots of extra vitamin B6 and B12 based on some postings on this forum. that might have also helped with the rage. but its hard to know for sure.

however, i have not had grand mals since being put on keppra. if you are having gand mal's, IMO, i think you should schedule a visit with your neurologist and discuss it. its possible that keppra is not working for you. you shouldn't be having grand mals while on keppra if its working for you. my neurologist told me keppra works quite well, but it doesn't work for everyone.

are you on name brand keppra or generic?
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Joined the Party

I found that taking the Keppra at exactly the same times each day helped immensely. I take 1000mg at 9am and 1000 at 9pm. That keeps the level consistent in my blood stream. I was on 3000mg and took the 1000mg at 3pm but I got too many migraines and I was backed off to 2000mg with very few ill effects.

Watching what you eat, getting rest, exercise (endorphins are highly under rated and regular trips to the gym seem to be the best antidote to keppra rage). When I do get the rages i have learned to either lay down and do to sleep or take a walk.

Hope this helps. Keppra has helped me immensely but it took a long time to conquer its side effects.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripletdad For This Useful Post:
eagleman (09-29-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Getting Comfortable

Originally Posted by mckenzie_boo View Post:
i'm currently on keppra & all the crappy side effects that people seem 2 experience wiv this drug, i seem 2 get them all & then sum!!! but the worst bein keppra rage & anytime i seem 2 get this bad, i always seem 2 ave a grand mal seizure, but they seem alot worse than the grand mals that i would normally ave.
they seem 2 happen alot easier, alot kwika & alot mor severe, they also seem 2 last that little bit longa than usual & the recovery period is longa & harder aswell.

Does anyone ave this problem? or has ever experienced this problem?
or is it just me goin mad?
please help as i am so confused rite now????.
cheers everyone x
I had worries with my Daughter on Keppra ,since she has been of them she hasnt had a grand mal seizure ...i have my daughter back she is on Lamotrigine and tegratol now ..gets absence`s now and photo sensitive ...
Old 08-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Your Host
Recent Blog: Oh poop

Thanked 2,290 Times in 817 Posts
Kepprage can be mitigated with vitamin B6 supplements.
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:44 PM

I had issues with Kepp-rage and took B6 for this. It worked but the B6 was creating different issues for me. I have had huge success at controlling this with my mind. I can't say I don't go off on occasion but I always had a quick fuse.

I just disengage from what my source of frustration is. So I walk away from the kids or think of something else, whatever it takes. I know it works because my wife as noticed a difference because the B6 only worked to a limit.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:40 PM

hello. what were the side effects that the B6 was giving you?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 AM

The main side effect was heart palpitations. B6 can cause an increase in your metabolism and some people just react differently.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

I have been on Keppra for about 2 1/2 years. I am finally at a theraupic level! Yeah!! I had keppra kick in after I had been on the drug for about 3-4 months. My neurologist is anti vitamin B supplements..he said a multivitamin has the max you need and there are studies to support too much B does permanment neuroligal damage. I really relied on my faith to get me thru this period and it did get better. Keppra is a Godsend to me. My last complex partial was Oct 7...I am so ready to celebrate a year of no seizures
Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by knothing View Post:
The main side effect was heart palpitations. B6 can cause an increase in your metabolism and some people just react differently.
thanks for the tip and response. i have been overdosing on it. i will start to watch my intake.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dfwtexas View Post:
I have been on Keppra for about 2 1/2 years. I am finally at a theraupic level! Yeah!! I had keppra kick in after I had been on the drug for about 3-4 months. My neurologist is anti vitamin B supplements..he said a multivitamin has the max you need and there are studies to support too much B does permanment neuroligal damage. I really relied on my faith to get me thru this period and it did get better. Keppra is a Godsend to me. My last complex partial was Oct 7...I am so ready to celebrate a year of no seizures
congrats on the seizure control and best wishes and luck.

how much is enough B6 arrconding to what you read? i see my B50 comples bottle says it contains only 50mg's of B6.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Everything I have read put the max dose at 100mg per day. There can be neurological issues if you exceed that dosage or in my case issues when taking that amount.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Getting Comfortable

that stuff did a number on me made me suicidal
Old 09-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

my doc said anything more than what's in a multivitamin may do permanent neurological damage
Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
New Here

I just started Keppra 2 weeks ago and so far everythings good. Just curious but how long into taking keppra did this start happening? This is the first im hearing about "keppra rage" and now it has me thinking...