Lamotrigine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gnault

New
Reaction score
Has anybody experienced joint pain with lamotrigine?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Not me, but it's a known side effect I'm afraid. You should let your neuro know if the pain is severe and/or if it doesn't go away.

Not me, but it's a known side effect I'm afraid. You should let your neuro know if the pain is severe and/or if it doesn't go away.
It's mostly in my shoulders, worst first thing in the morning when I wake up. It almost feels like they want to lock up. They bother me a bit when I workout also.

Maybe you should ask for a bone density scan, all my epilepsy medications (including lamitrogine) has seriously messed up my bones - my joints always creaked and such when I stood up and clicked a lot.
I used to do a lot of yoga, but my joints couldn't hold it.

Eventually I had an accident, I fell off a two inch step. Haha broke and dislocated my knee (lots of other icky stuff too)
All put down to my medication screwing with my bones in the end.

If I had known before then I wouldn't have had 8 months in a wheelchair and then have to learn to walk again.

It is worth checking to make sure - and I mean it for every person with epilepsy who has had any problems with bones

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hey Zara,

Creaky bones, i have that too. Mostly in my ankle. I thought it was due to all the sore ankles i had in the past. It sucks, especially walking into a quite room. It doesn't hurt, but it's annoying. Luckily i haven't had a bone broken in my body yet. Woo hoo. I'll have to look into the bone density scan.

Zolt

:piano: :pop:

Maybe you should ask for a bone density scan, all my epilepsy medications (including lamitrogine) has seriously messed up my bones - my joints always creaked and such when I stood up and clicked a lot.
I used to do a lot of yoga, but my joints couldn't hold it.

Eventually I had an accident, I fell off a two inch step. Haha broke and dislocated my knee (lots of other icky stuff too)
All put down to my medication screwing with my bones in the end.

If I had known before then I wouldn't have had 8 months in a wheelchair and then have to learn to walk again.

It is worth checking to make sure - and I mean it for every person with epilepsy who has had any problems with bones

Before I got of the military I had a bone density scan which was normal, but that was before I was put on lamotrigine, I was on tegretol at the time.

I think that decreased bone density is a side effect of a lot of the medications.
So anyone having issues, I would highly recommend it to, or simply get a calcium supplement and see if it helps.

Lamotrigine isn't known to cause significant calcium loss or bone density issues -- at least not to the extent that older AEDs do. But my guess is that the age at which you start taking it and the length of time that you're on it could be factors that put an individual at a higher risk.

Topirimate is said to be the main cause of mine - but then I was told that most anti epileptic drugs do.

Topirimate is said to be the main cause of mine - but then I was told that most anti epileptic drugs do.

I was on Dilantin for probably three or fours years(many years ago to remember ) and then switched carbamazepine for five years and then the switch to lamotrigine roughly a year ago. Which epileptic drugs are considered older ones?

I had two severely herniated discs before I had epilepsy. It kept getting worse and worse after I was diagnosed with epilepsy and I was taking lamitrogine. I had screws put in my back in 2013 and it fixed all the pain but a few months ago I started getting pains in the area that they took the cartliage from but the dr said that I could have pain in that area, it's a normal thing for many people. But a few weeks ago I started getting pains in my thigh and getting numbness in my foot which I have a feeling is caused by the pain in my back and leg.

I'm still taking lamitrogine and I don't know if it could have anything to do with that? It isn't nearly as bad as it was before I had the surgery but I hope things aren't going to start getting worse.

I had two severely herniated discs before I had epilepsy. It kept getting worse and worse after I was diagnosed with epilepsy and I was taking lamitrogine. I had screws put in my back in 2013 and it fixed all the pain but a few months ago I started getting pains in the area that they took the cartliage from but the dr said that I could have pain in that area, it's a normal thing for many people. But a few weeks ago I started getting pains in my thigh and getting numbness in my foot which I have a feeling is caused by the pain in my back and leg.

I'm still taking lamitrogine and I don't know if it could have anything to do with that? It isn't nearly as bad as it was before I had the surgery but I hope things aren't going to start getting worse.
I honestly don't know anything about the surgery you had, but it could be worth bringing up the issue with your GP, and saying that you have read stories online about the medications messing about with bone density.

I was on Dilantin for probably three or fours years(many years ago to remember ) and then switched carbamazepine for five years and then the switch to lamotrigine roughly a year ago. Which epileptic drugs are considered older ones?
Phenytoin (Dilantin) is known to have the largest effect on bone loss. The others that are currently associated with decreased bone mineral density are phenobarbital, Primidone (Mysoline), Valproate (Depakote) and Carbamazepine (Tegretol).

Here's another quick question, does your neurologist get you to do blood work while on lamotrigine?

Here's another quick question, does your neurologist get you to do blood work while on lamotrigine?

My neurologist said you don't need to do blood work like carbamazepine.

I get tested every 3 months for various things - for both my lamotrogine and topirimate.

No testing for me on lamotrigine.

I think it's possible they are extra careful with me because I have a bad heart too

Seems to me like you have a good heart. :)

Back
Top Bottom