Left Temporal Lobe Seizure Treatment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jacquie84

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am looking for some ideas in regards to treatment for Left Temporal Lobe Seizures.

I am a 26 year old female who suffers from (as one of the neurologists I see said) "sharp spike waves in the left temporal lobe." I also suffer from dysautonomia (dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system). For the dysautonomia I see a neurologist in Boston. Recently, I began having symptoms that are unrelated to my blood pressure problems. I experience a severe lightheadedness feeling, severe nausea, and it almost feels like my legs are going to give out. Most often I wake up during the night with severe nausea and lightheadedness (feels like I am going up/down a really fast elevator). I did have a 48 hour EEG which showed sharp spikes in the left temporal lobe. One neurologist told me I was fine and it was probably my blood pressure dropping (even though the EEG said otherwise!). However, the director or neurology at a Boston hospital told me that it was most likely a seizure occuring...

The real problem comes with treating this seizure. My mother is an epileptic (she was prematurely born and that is why she has epilepsy) who had a severe drug reaction to an anticonvulsant (most likely Depakote). My primary care doctor is against me taking any anticonvulsant since there is a high chance that I'll get SJS/TEN from the anticonvusant. So, this leaves me pretty much stuck. I guess I am looking for some other treatment options that others have found work. Aside from waking up during the night from these events/seizures, I do suffer some memory loss when they occur during the day. I rarely drive anymore, and don't want to until I know that I will not have these events anymore.

I greatly appreciate your input!! Thank you!

Hi Jacquie84, welcome to CWE!

Is your PCP against you taking an AED because you have a track record of drug sensitivity? Or is his(her?) reluctance based on your mother's experience? Have you been tested for HLA-B*1502 -- it's the gene variant that is highly correlated with the risk of developing SJS/TEN. (It's found almost exclusively in groups with Asian ancestry -- don't know if that applies to you).

If there isn't a genetic link, and you don't have a history of drug sensitivity, then it may be worth actually trying an AED, under close supervision with a very slow ramp-up schedule -- and with instructions to immediately discontinue the med at any telltale sign of a hypersensitive reaction. SJS/TEN is actually very rare (6.1 cases per million people per year). The vast majority of people who experience allergic reactions to an AED don't have SJS/TEN. You should talk to your neurologist (or more than one) about whether to take AEDs off the table altogether.

That said, I'm no fan of the meds, so I agree that it would be great to find another treatment path. There are some alternative approaches which you can read about here:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=alternative-treatments
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/eeg-neurofeedback-501/
Neurofeedback is still new enough that it's not covered by most insurance plans; there is a lot of anecdotal success though, and some CWE members have had positive results with it.

BTW, which Boston neurology center have you been using? (Just curious -- my neuro is at Beth Israel).

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom