Lennox-Gestaut gone???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vekasuiv

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to share this. I do not know what happened, would Lennox-Gestaut return, but I think it is necessary to inform audience. Perhaps somebody had similar case. Perhaps this will help somebody else.
My 8.5 yrs old daughter suffered from Lennox-Gastaut after she was 7 yrs seizure free. It started cca two weeks after minor gastrointestinal upset, and it worsened by hyperventilation. We were not able to stop seizures, she had 20-40 per day. We stopped counting.
A year after, still with seizures, she got several infections respiratory and gastrointestinal, a week after week: virus, bacteria... She had fever several times. She was on antibiotics, and due to her bad condition I put her on herbal remedies also: herbal tees, homemade cough syrup, garlic extract, olea leaf extract... At one point she stopped responding, she had lost ability to swallow... It was so bad... It lasted I think almost four weeks.
When she recovered, there were no seizures anymore. Her EEG is almost normal.
After rethinking what happened last year, I came to conclusion (which could be wrong) that she suffered from undiagnosed infection which was not possible to prove by normal diagnostic methods. Only symptoms she had were: "fewer" 37-37.3 oC from time to time - which disappeared immediately after drinking (she was not dehydrated), bad aromatic smell from the mouth at beginning, polyclonal antibodies in CSF and I suspect headaches.
She is reacting differently on diazepam now: instead of jumping around without control of her limbs, she is sleeping.

Last edited:
have you had her sugar levels done because that smell is ketones you smelling

Yes, we checked all. No sugar issues. Smell from her mouth was so strong from time to time that I got headaches just by smelling her breath for longer time. She had aromatic smell of her poo too, but not urine. No ketones or sugar in urine. I have spoken privately with some of my colleagues scientists, and we have some idea what happened, but we can not prove it. We suspect fermentation of citric acid (from calcium and magnesium supplements) in gastrointestinal system caused by some bad bacteria (she was a year on those supplements before this incident happened). Smell stopped when I changed supplements to carbonates and added B vitamins; it never returned even if I stopped B vitamins from time to time and I never added citrate supplements back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom