Lost

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
We got the EEG report back today. Says 'normal, if there remains further clinical concern for seizures, a repeat study following sleep deprivation or a prolonged study may be of higher yield". Im supposed to be pleased by this finding, I'm assuming this is a good thing. Yet I feel let down. This means we go back to square one wondering why she had the seizure to begin with. I know that sometimes there is no answer but that is really what we were hoping for....The *WHY* Anybody else have seizure but have normal EEG's? Maybe we got lucky and it was a one off situation and her brain just said "hold up, im done!"?

I have had a few that came back normal- sometimes there is a technical mistake, sometimes they could be non-epileptic seizures (which I experience sometimes- there are A LOT of people who experience both epileptic and non-epileptic seizures). The sleep deprivation/photic stimulation/hyperventilation one always gets a response for me and several other epilepsy friends. I would say "I hope she seizes!" for that next one but wishing a seizure on someone feels horrid, even if it helps them! "I hope her next EEG comes back helpful!" : )

Last edited:
False negative EEGs are actually relatively common, especially in children. There's definitely the possibility that she had a one-off seizure -- that would be terrific of course -- but a negative EEG doesn't always rule epilepsy out, especially if the abnormal brainwaves are too transient, or originate too deep in the brain to show on the test.

Studies have found that abnormal brainwaves show up on the first EEG administered to a person with epilepsy only about 30% to 50% of the time. The percentages go up a bit for a second or third EEG, but there are also some folks -- anywhere from 10% to 40% -- whose seizures never show up on testing.

Prior to this her neuro appointment didnt seem so far away. Now that we are just waiting around - waiting it seems like forever away. Hopefully the time passes quickly. How horrid is it to hope she has a seizure? I mean come on, this is what we DONT want to happen. The goal is to not have seizures. However, they said if she has another one it is more easy to diagnose.

Back
Top Bottom