Medication change after 27 years

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TLM

New
Reaction score
This has been difficult and sometimes I still cry when I think about this last week.

I have nocturnal epilepsy diagnosed at 18. Full grand-mal seizures. I am 45 and diagnosed with Ostepenia. I have not had a seizure in 10 or 11 years. Haven't seen my neuroligist in 10. My Dr. suggested I go back, possible even go off my meds. This is a new Dr and he switched me from brand name dilantin to generic, then sent me to my neuro.

So off I go. Get the EEG and it shows that I still need meds. I told the neur that it scares me more to change than go off. He lowers my dose of dilantin from 400mg to 300mg. We try Lamactal, (spelling?) gave me hives, achy bones dizziness. Due to the hives I am told to stop immediatly. I figured ok we're done.

Nope, next we try Keppra. Still on 300 mg of Dilantin. Start w/500 mg of Keppra then move to 1000. After the increase I could not form words. My husband was so worried, said I sounded like a stroke victim. I kept my positivness. I did not mention the fog the tiredness the vertigo haze I was in. I did call the Dr. At 9am at 5pm his assistant calls me back, we can cut out some Keppra. I ask to cut out the morning dose. (Keep in mind she hears how I am talking). I am told that she has to check w/ the dr. She calls back 2:30 in the afternoon next day. Ok cut out morning dose. I stutter out too much meds, need to lower dilantin. No not yet, just hang in there and call us in a week.

Each day my speech got better, 5 days later I sound better. But everyday I tell myself if I just keep going I will be ok. I feel like I am letting everyone down. The vertigo haze never lifted. I would cook because I am good at it and if I could put out a meal I would be ok. As long as I didn't stop. I was too tired in the mornings to get lunches and my daughter is late to school everyday.

Monday I decided that I needed to get lunches ready, but I sat down. So dizzy so foggy so hard. Food isn't good. I fail at lunches. Tuesday I am late the kids are late I hit pure panic and it never ended. I called the Dr in the morning. I saw weird things, but this is all in my mind and I just have to keep going. I am yelling and crying and I told my children that I should just put a bullet in my head. I told my husband he is better off w/out me. The dr. calls me around 5pm again, and asks what is going on, I am not even sure what I said. He told me to stop the Keppra. I apologized to him for letting him down.

It was a long night and my husband helped me so much. I have been off the Keppra since Tuesday, I am still tired and dizzy and the memories are so painful. I do not know who that person was and I feel so terrible.

I see the Dr. again on april 5th. This time my husband will go with me. I am going to tell him that I want to go back to my name brand Dilantin again. I can help the osteo. I can take vitamins, lift some weights, but I can never do this to my family again. I tried to fight this, but I just couldn't.

This has been a long week. My children are great my husband is great, my family so supportive. I hid my epilepsy for 27 years, now everyone knows, friends neighbors, I mean I couldn't speak for a week they wanted to know what was going on.

I don't know, maybe I just needed to say something. This journey is not over and I am still healing. I hope putting this out there helps.

Thank you

TLM,

What an ordeal you've gone through the last couple of months. <<<hug>>>

Lamictal is sometimes a problematic drug. He put you on it because it's known for having the fewest cognitive side effects - in other words, you'll still be able to think. I got a rash both the first and second times I tried it. Since it was just a drug reaction rash and not the dangerous kind of rash, they kept me on it the second time around, but the neuro and a dermatologist watched me like a hawk. Tapering up on the stuff VERY SLOWLY is a key towards making it go well. Achey bones, don't know what to say about that. It could have been the lamictal, or a blood chemistry imbalance.

Keppra is a hard drug for lots of people, mostly because of the anger outbursts it causes in some, the mood swings, and the depression.

About the switch to generic - many people have a tough time making that switch, and the generic just doesn't work for them. If your insurance won't pay for brand name, have your doctor write a letter saying that the generic doesn't work and why you need brand-name, and send it to the insurance company. Often times they'll make an exception (mine will).

I understand how much you probably want to stay on Dilantin when it's worked so well for you all these years. I'm guessing your new neurologist doesn't want to see you in the hospital with multiple broken bones. He may want to try you on some other drugs. They have discovered some serious long-term effects of Dilantin, and there are so many other newer, better drugs out there. More on the long term effects of Dilantin:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/24727-longterm-side-effects-dilantin/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/dilantins-dark-side-849/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/long-term-effects-dilantin-532/

Just because two drugs didn't work out, that doesn't mean others won't. Everyone reacts differently to each drug. I found one that worked for me on the fifth try. The first 4 were hell. Lamictal was the good one for me, finally, after we got the rash calmed down.

If you do try another drug, sometimes it takes a couple of months or more for the body to adjust and the side effects to settle down. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Everything is going to be okay. Just hang in there.

Let us know how your dr. appt. goes, okay?

oh my gosh-Im so sorry-cooking was my thing and now everything tastes awful.I scream and yell and change personalities at the drop of a hat.i take trileptal for 2 years and I still feel Ive failed.I want to tell my boyfriend of 10 years to leave I cant stand him anymore.My head and my life has been a rollercoaster and I feel that I just get used to dosage and after 4 months it wears off then they raise it-is it even possible for a drug to just wear off? Anyway-I am truly sorry you struck a nerve with me about cooking and kids and seeing things and feeling like you are a failure.Ive spent the last year fighting foreclosure and need to file bankruptcy because of what this has done.I took away my kids christmas,vacations,myself and our security and I cant imagine how this will ever get better and it will be 3 years this summer and so I am sorry for you

Oh, Mel. I'm so sorry for you, too.

Maybe it's time to switch meds? Everybody reacts differently to each med, and this one sounds like it's side effects aren't tolerable for you. Have you told your neuro how you feel?

<<<big hug>>>

My epi at cleveland clinic has said in no uncertain terms that the seizures must be stopped.The heck with side effects-seizures have gone on too long and if trileptal is the key thats what were staying with.Got a rash with lamictal and wound up in hospital.Loved lyrica,but in my screwed up brain,I insisted another med after I had 3 miscarriages in one year.Thats all Ive been on and always just one drug,but I cant understand how your body just gets used to it,I cant keep dosing up every 4 months.I take 1400 mg a day of trileptal-is that low?

Thats all Ive been on and always just one drug,but I cant understand how your body just gets used to it,I cant keep dosing up every 4 months.I take 1400 mg a day of trileptal-is that low?

Usually the recommend dosage of Trileptal is 1200 mg. a day and sometimes it is as much as 2400 mg.-- but the side effects are intolerable.

I am currently on a low dosage of Topomax and 3000 mgs. Keppra a day. In the past 30 years since my diagnosis, I've taken Dilantin, Tegretol, Phenobarbitol, Felbatol, Neurontin, Lamictal, Trileptal, and was on a drug study for Sabril before it was on the market in the U.S.

All have screwed up my brain and the rest of my body and life. Couldn't drive, work, think straight, went through terrible, terrible depression (and still wrestle with it). Lost my family, my kids won't speak to me now. My little world knows I have Epilepsy and I don't really care about people knowing. At least I know who really matters and cares now.

WOW this has certainly devastated a lot of us and on top of it we have to fight for correct diagnosis and decent medical care.There seems to be alot of research from the internet anyway,but how much really improves the quality of life? SIGH-

I feel so bad for all of us. the depression, mood swings, not being able to live the life we were so used to living. Man this illness is really something and the medication is something else. All I can think of is there's a reason for this, we may not know what it is, but there is a reason for this. We must be strong and endure. What we say, do and go through will help someone else. Just like my reading what you all are going through makes me feel that I'm not alone anymore. I now have someone I can talk to who really knows what I'm going through. I feel so much better being able to connect with you all. God bless us all!!

Sometimes my posts are like rambling-I can never stay on course in my mind.i too feel there is a reason and God intended this for us a long time ago.for the first time in 30 years Ive immersed myself in religion and it helps,but I have to sit alone and in the back because I cry during the whole service-i am SO overemotional-I feel they are speaking directly to me,exposing my kids to religion is maybe the reason I got E? I dont know if I would have done that before[terrible to admit,but Im being honest]

I can understand what you're saying and how you're feeling. It seems that all we can be NOW is honest because we can't remember anything most of the time, so how can we not be honest. :) Being over-emotional, I think comes with this illness. We have so many different mood swings till it's hard for us to deal with sometimes. I now have gotten to the point where I make a joke out of it with friends and family. when I can't remember something or I feel like I'm not making sense, I just stop and say..Oh, she's (Epilepsy) acting up again and we all laugh. It makes me feel a lot better and makes it easier to deal with sometimes. I know it's not going anywhere, I just have to make it fit into my life somehow. Make it not be a henderience to me, you know, like a headache. I take something for it and keep on truckin' :)

All my family lives away and are working themselves to death at their restaurants,I have 8 kids at other end of country except for the one a junior at college and 3 little ones at home-8,6,3-their father and I been together 10 yrs-everyone knows but i keep it hidden-I write down seizures and come on here,but I cant get over embarrasment of "losing my life" as if Ive caused this somehow.boyfriend comments frequently how Im a different person and I agree-its too much of a struggle to keep him happy-basically,I wish he would leave-he is 60 and retired military as is most of my family and they think you can just"buck up and get over it"I dont want to deal with any of them anymore-Ive been through alot on my own and really dont need them as support-they make it worse.here I go rambling,been sick for a couple days so this is just a pity party-SORRY

Wow reading these post make me so sad for all of you who don't have the support you need to get through this. I can not imagine not being there for my 22 yr old son. His 3 younger brothers also keep an eye on him and have on more then one occasion seen to it that he was led to safety during his seizures. I wish I could be there for all of you and wish that one day soon you will have an angel appear to help you all

Thank you

wow, thank you all so much. I will let you know how the next appointment goes. I know the sensible thing would be to go off Dilantin. But I also know that I can excercise, take vitamin supplements and slow it down. I lost a little piece of me after the Keppra. I will get it back, and I am blessed to have great family. They really pulled through for me when I needed them.

Ok April 5th here I come with a little more support this time.

Thank you to all and you all are so amazing with everything you have been through.

Back
Top Bottom