meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lukesdad

New
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and had a question . To give a little background my 8 year old son has had E since he was 2 years old and been on several meds to stop them but they dont stop them completly he will go several weeks without have one then he may have 5 or 6 in one day. just curious if it is possible to stop them completly with the right meds so he can live a normal life.

Hi & welcome

I've been diagnosed with seizures when I was 3 years old (I'll be 50 next month) so I've got that in common with your son.

From what I've read, about 1/3 epileptics can't control their seizures totally despite medication. You may reach a time when they are totally controlled & then they might start up again.

Mine have never been totally controlled, I have partial seizures almost daily though I often go through spurts where I'll only have 2 or 3 a week. Despite that, I live what I consider a fairly normal life. I've never driven so I've never had to get used to losing that privilege, it's just a part of life that I've learned to compensate for. The hardest thing for me to adapt to is usually the side-effects of new medications.

There are various alternative therapies that some people have had luck with, especially the neurofeedback which you might want to try.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=alternative-treatments

Thx for the info i'm hoping we can find something that can control them it seems to happen more often we he goes through growth spurts . The driving thing was one of my concerns but he has awhile before that is an issue.

I am 49 years old and got diagnosed with E a little over 2 years ago. I have been thur several adjustments on my Keppra. I know it is frustrating...I can go months with no seizures and then WHAM get hit by one out of the blue. I talked with my neuro about it and he said getting the meds at the proper level is one of the most frustrating aspects of E for both the doc and the patient.
I know it can be different for kids...but then again, E is so different from person to person. Try to identify those triggers that are key to your child is important and I am sure as he grows, his triggers could change too.
This is a great forum for information and support
jenn

Hello. I have had seizures all my life I am 55. I am on 3 meds and still not under full control, but i have gone for 5 months without a seizure. I have found out that not haveing stress has helped me alot. I do not drive and have never driven, so i will not miss giving that up. I can not see driving and have a seizure and maybe kill a person or yourself if you had a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom