Meds and Hair Loss ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
I have one quick question...does anyone know approx. how long it takes for the hair loss to stop after the drug has been discontinued? It's been almost 2 months since I've been off Keppra (no meds now) and my hair is continuing to shed / fall out. Some days are better than others and when I think it finally stopped I find that it hasn't. I did end up with the alopecia areata from the Keppra and I do get steriod shots, which I see the dermatologist Wednesday for my second round of shots. Thankfully I can still hide the bald patches and it's not noticeable to others, but the dermatologist said one month for the meds to be totally out of your system (2 months to see the results from the steroids) and I assumed the hair loss would've stopped. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. My thyroid is fine too. Also, I did call the co. that makes Keppra and they said they were aware that it could cause Alopecia Areata. Of course my neuro said it doesn't cause hair loss. Then they wonder why these meds can cause depression : O Thanks

The half-life of Keppra is fairly quick, but I think it takes much longer for your body to adjust and re-balance. I know it took about 6 months for my system to adjust to being ON Lamictal before my hair loss stopped, so it may take a comparable chunk of time for your body to adjust to being OFF the Keppra and re-start hair growth. (It's also the case that everyone has different reactions to meds, so there's no easy way to predict what will happen for you.)

In the meantime, you could try taking Biotin supplements, and also make sure you are getting plenty of Vitamins, including Vitamin E.

I had hair loss problem when I switched from Keppra to Keppra XR. Neuro told me that hair loss wasn't a known problem on it and did all the thyroid testing. Once he saw my thyroid was normal, I asked if we could just put me back on the regular Keppra as I didn't have the hair loss on it. It took about 4-5 weeks for the hair loss to stop completely. But after about 2 weeks, the hair loss decrease a lot.

Back
Top Bottom