meds question - lamictal & topamax

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rhiannon

New
Reaction score
hi all!

I'm new to the forum and have a meds question.

my story - diagnosed at 12 (now 34), partial, now 99% nocturnal. have been on 300mg lamictal & 200mg epilim for about 10yrs which worked for some time but I'm still having many seizures and have finally accepted that I need to change meds. I've been reluctant - fear of the unknown I suppose, not knowing what may happen as I find the right meds at the right dosage.

I'll be dropping the epilim and replacing it with 100mg topamax. has anyone taken lamictal & topamax together? I'd also welcome any comments about topamax, as I've never been on it

I take only lamictal, and have for probably 20 years so I can't speak to combinations, but I will tell you of a recent change I made that has seemed to help a lot.
I had been taking 400 mg. a day (200 twice a day) for a long time, and never had very good seizure control. No tonic clonics but hundreds of complex partials a year. When my doc tried to raise me to 500 (250 twice a day) I got extremely sleepy and groggy to the poiunt where it was hard to function. That side effect didn't go away so I never got beyond 400. I tried some other meds but the side-effects were not tolerable. About a month ago I thought of dividing my meds into 4 doses a day instead of 2. Same amount per day, but more frequent, smaller doses. That made a huge difference, and I am now taking 650 a day with no sleepiness and no seizures for a month. You might want to try that. I don't know why my docs never thought of it, and why there is not anything that I could find in the Lamictal information, but it does no harm and can help keep your blood levels more steady. 300 mg is a pretty low dose and is clearly not controlling your seizures. I don't know why docs alwayd want to add more meds before being more creative with the current ones.

lamictal I'm not able to take didn't work for me anyway.

topamax I take been taken it probably 10 years. Topamax is one of the few drugs that actually does help control my sz's, and I take 200mgAM and PM. I lost some weight on Topamax after about a year.

Back
Top Bottom