Memory Loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I too have experienced short term memory loss. It is scarry. My wife gets angry about it, but there is nothing I can do but explain that it can happen.

Last time I had a seizure I had quite a bit of memory loss which frightened me. As far as I was concerned I remembered everything that happened after I woke up from my seizure but then I realized I couldn't recall if the paramedics who attended to me were male or female, and when i got undressed that night I found sticky dots on my chest from where they did an ECG...I didn't remember them doing that at all! Just little things really but it came as a shock to me at the time! Took me a few days to get my short term memory back in working order again after that seizure.

Oh yes I've been there before! I know exactly how you feel. OMG with one of my seizures I lived on the 2nd floor of an apartment and I had one in the bathroom.. the bathroom was very small and I had stretched out and stiffened during the seizure and the paramedics couldn't get the door opened.. I guess they were calling my name and of course i didn't answer.. they were going to remove the door... anyway that's aside the point... but in order to get me down the stairs they had to put me in a chair stretcher thing and when they did the chair stabbed my leg... I had no clue I had a seizure let alone getting stabbed by their chair until the next day ... oh how horrible!!

My memory seems to come and go. I still remember going to bed before my first seizure 3 years ago, waking up briefly, then waking up in the ambulance. I remember the periods right before a seizure (the aura) if I am awake for them, and I remember the postictal when I actually start becoming aware. It is very strange that I seem to remember the times surrounding a seizure, but I seem to forget normal everyday things at random. I can forget that I read a book, or that I was about to do something. I guess that could be normal. But it is a bit disturbing. I guess it is mostly short term memory that seems to be an issue, and I like to blame that on the medication (topamax).

OMG!!! I just somehow got reminded of this!!!! Ok... DURING the seizure (not sure if its during the seize or not) regardless it is at some point during the seizure.... . Very recently I started having what I would call a dream state of sort... me drowning in an ocean... I see a hand coming to me but I can't grab it...i hear"I'm here.. you're OK" but I'm gasping and drowning... wth is that? I never had this dream state during a seizure before.... but the past few Grand Mals I have done this.... wth is going on?

My memory could shot for the entire day if I had to many seizures. Memory can be a rarity with seizures when they aren't being stopped. And the weirdest thing is most of the anti convulsants on the market cause memory/cognitive issues. If only they had a med that increased memory, that would be perfect.

As for the dream state you mentioned in your post, I've had some weird feelings happen during maybe after the grand mals. I can't tell when I came out of them, but yeah it was they were some very odd events.

My memory could shot for the entire day if I had to many seizures. Memory can be a rarity with seizures when they aren't being stopped. And the weirdest thing is most of the anti convulsants on the market cause memory/cognitive issues. If only they had a med that increased memory, that would be perfect.

As for the dream state you mentioned in your post, I've had some weird feelings happen during maybe after the grand mals. I can't tell when I came out of them, but yeah it was they were some very odd events.

I was getting very frightened about this and I KEEP FORGETTING TO ASK MY NEURO!!! But I remembered here.
So you get the weird feelings? Is it like a dream state for you too or what??

Last edited:

gingko biloba?

i have started carrying around a notebook alot, also, i use the memo and calendar features on my smart phone to help me remember things. It doesn't repair the memory-issue. But it does help me get things done.

OMG!!! I just somehow got reminded of this!!!! Ok... DURING the seizure (not sure if its during the seize or not) regardless it is at some point during the seizure.... . Very recently I started having what I would call a dream state of sort... me drowning in an ocean... I see a hand coming to me but I can't grab it...i hear"I'm here.. you're OK" but I'm gasping and drowning... wth is that? I never had this dream state during a seizure before.... but the past few Grand Mals I have done this.... wth is going on?

I get the dream like state! The "dream " usually changes in "clusters." So basically I'll have several in a few days that are all the same- nothing for a period of time (anywhere from days to months) then a new "dream" for another cluster. I don't remember if I had it before my TCs (though I think I did because I freaked out the first time I hsd the feeling after my first TC), but I get them during my stronger partials. I'll feel like Im somewhere else then the nausea /anxious feeling kicks in. If I'm talking to someone it gets difficult. So strange...

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I get the dream like state! The "dream " usually changes in "clusters." So basically I'll have several in a few days that are all the same- nothing for a period of time (anywhere from days to months) then a new "dream" for another cluster. I don't remember if I had it before my TCs (though I think I did because I freaked out the first time I hsd the feeling after my first TC), but I get them during my stronger partials. I'll feel like Im somewhere else then the nausea /anxious feeling kicks in. If I'm talking to someone it gets difficult. So strange...

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Now, do you get any of these within your TC? Like before you are out or just after the seizure? Because what ever is happening to me is during or just seconds after my seize... because when I am cognisant .... I remember the dream like state. And it scares me so bad... do you think that the drowning and gasping/grunting is from lack of oxygen to my brain???? Should I be completely afraid???? I am really afraid of these :'(

Oh yes I've been there before! I know exactly how you feel. OMG with one of my seizures I lived on the 2nd floor of an apartment and I had one in the bathroom.. the bathroom was very small and I had stretched out and stiffened during the seizure and the paramedics couldn't get the door opened.. I guess they were calling my name and of course i didn't answer.. they were going to remove the door... anyway that's aside the point... but in order to get me down the stairs they had to put me in a chair stretcher thing and when they did the chair stabbed my leg... I had no clue I had a seizure let alone getting stabbed by their chair until the next day ... oh how horrible!!

Wow Shannon, that is horrible. Sorry to hear that happened.
Maybe sometimes memory loss is good? Seizures like this are traumatic enough.

Wow Shannon, that is horrible. Sorry to hear that happened.
Maybe sometimes memory loss is good? Seizures like this are traumatic enough.

Awww thank you... so sweet.... all I can say is thank god I was still loopy from the seizure because that would have hurt sooooooo bad!!!!!! Seizures sure are traumatic enough... I cry when I have them...

Back
Top Bottom