Memory Strategies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh Brain, thank you for the reality check! I obviously forgot rule number one before complaining or whining, look around you first:e: I am a relative short timer and I have been caught in a whine. I humbly defer to you my friend! Maybe we can "glow" together:roflmao:

I just have to giggle at the writing things down and losing the paper! That always happens to me as well!

Everyone is always telling me..."write it down".

But I lose everything that I write down.

I had this swim class and I had to have a locker for it! But all the lockers looked the same and I couldn't remember which one was mine (how sad is that)! I put into my phone the number of my locker as an alarm that would go off during the time of my swim class...so it would ring an alarm and on my cell phone my locker number would pop up! Well, my seizures had gotten really bad in March and I couldn't swim anymore...so I had stopped going. I still had my locker number...thanks to my phone. I went to my locker today, but I couldn't remember my combination! I asked the front desk and they gave me the combination...When I opened my locker to clean out my belongings...laying right there with my goggles was a piece of paper with my combination written on it! hahahahhaa! The last time I swam, I forgot to take my little writing with me! Hahahaha! I need a new strategy! LOL!

And Brain....don't be sorry about moving my post...if it weren't on the forum...I would have just thought I misplaced it or something! LOL!

Here's a secret to keeping your mind sharp and your memory strong: Working your brain in new, challenging ways stimulates the production of neurotrophins, which are nutrients that make brain cells more resistant to the effects of aging. To boost your mental fitness, try these "neurobic" exercises from Duke University neurobiologist Lawrence C. Katz, Ph.D., co-author of Keep Your Brain Alive.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_10_35/ai_n15784305

Q:My mother recently had surgery and now is experiencing significant memory loss. The doctor said that anesthesia sometimes affects memory. How long will this last, and is there anything we can do to help her recover?

A:Surgeons and anesthesiologists are aware that surgery may pose risks to mental function, especially in older people. They call this condition postoperative cognitive decline (POCD).

There is controversy as to whether the problem is brought on by anesthesia or by surgery itself. Some commonly inhaled anesthetics have been linked to dementia in mouse research (Neurobiology of Aging online, March 7, 2007). Gases like isoflurane and halothane lead to accumulation of beta amyloid, a compound that is thought to contribute to Alzheimer's disease. Injected anesthetics such as propofol and thiopental may be less likely to cause such problems (Neurochemical Research, August 2005).

For many surgical patients, POCD disappears within a year. A small number, however, may have lasting memory problems. We don't know of any way to reverse such cognitive decline.

http://www.tristateneighbor.com/articles/2008/06/27/tri_state_news/country_living/news9.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom