mood swings

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tahamene

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody my names Tahamene pronoced Tam-mean lol, i dont have epilepsy my partner does, with together a year and i love him dearly although i must meet epilepsy is a very stressful illness for parties. He has epilepsy for 9 years and he has not come to terms with his illness he accepts it but is extremly angey about it. he begun getting seizure after having a cold which later infected his brain.

sorry about the essay

ive noticed he tends to break up with me every time he has a fit or i address something that may have upset me which he's done he flies into a mad rage, he later explained that he has mood swing but its shocking that his temper is so bad never seen anything like it. he tends to insult people really badly when hes in a mood, if words could kill. he always says he cant explain why he did it or what came over him.

he broke up with me 5 days ago we had a great day full of fun and laughter, he then got upset over some apple juice the sillest thing u could imagin told me hes finding it all to stressful and i must get out his life for good just like that shouting in a rage. Can epilepsy effect your personality so much that within seconds you would break off a relationship and cut someone off over the smallest thing.

ive tried to speak to him an it makes the situation worst he getting more and more angry. I dont understand it

I'd ask what type of meds he is on.
Sounds like he may be on Keppra (we call it Keprage)
I was born with epilepsy, and sometimes, a pwe will feel marginalized for being different.
It doesn't matter what we rationalize or try to explain. Sometimes people don't understand.

I feel that you are trying to understand, wish is great. We need more people like you.
First, do you know what type of epilepsy he has?
Second, do you know his meds.
Third and most important is seizure first aid.

I should stress that first aid is essential, but you must tailor it to his type of seizure.
It would be easier if you knew the type of seizure and frequency.
This should help him to trust you more, which should cause him to relax more, and be a little less stressed out.

thank you for your reply he takes Keppra and Fenital, he has blackouts im not sure of the correct name but its like hes day dreaming almost and tends to saying but dont quit make sense ans stamps his feet.

if hes unable to come out of a black out he will have a fit and hes the nicest perspn until a few days later were he becames really angry. but only seems to direct anger at me

then theres the mood swing were he just get's irritated by everything and has a massive temper tantrum. i find if t talk to him about serious matters he flies off the handle and breaks up with me.

Hi Tahamene and I think you are really trying to help him so well done :clap: just please don't put yourself at risk of injury no matter how much you love this guy, and if he loves you he will want to get help to control his anger. Is there any counselling or anger management courses where you are? I can see he's upset and it may well be an effect of the drugs too but that doesn't mean it has to be this way. Good luck.

Tahamene

Like Shelley, I was born with epilepsy and what he says makes sense, some of the drugs I was on gave me terriable mood swings and my temper was unbeliveable, even 3 weeks ago I said some terriable things to my wife and some more since, I usualy do not remember what I say after about an hour but I am very lucky she puts up with me at times, you should have seen me on keppra, not good. You are trying hard to learn about this situation you are in and more about epilepsy, getting angery about having epilepsy well to be honest I cannot blame him, it imposes a lot of limitations on ones life. Looking through the treads on this site might be some help to you and maybe you might be able to get him to look as well, its amazing how much it means not to be alone and CWE (coping with epilepsy) offers that. Do not be afarid to ask for help.

thank you for all your advice and im starting to understand a bit better, do you think that if he came off the keppra it would stop the outburst of anger.
there must be other types of medication that does cause such side affects.
if it continues he will lose family and friends it really sad and scary i worry for him

Tahamene

Personaly I think he should come off the keppra but I do not know excately how he is doing on it, but as I said personaly yes he should come off it, its scary for him as well, even though you may not reasise it, he does and this is the hard part, he needs all the help he can get, he is having a hard time and he knowes it, the outburst of anger will continue until things get under control, even I need help, espicaly mentaly at times, you need to be patient with him, but he has to realise this as well. There is nothing easy about any of this, espicaly from where you are sitting.

Hi Tahamene, welcome to CWE!

I agree with the others -- the Keppra is very likely be responsible for the anger and extreme moodiness your guy is experiencing (and that you get to endure too). There are other meds that are less likely to have mood-related side effects, and it sounds like it would be well worth it for him give them a try, especially if his seizures aren't fully controlled.

In the meantime, you might suggest that he take a B6 supplement. For some folks it seems to help with the rage and mood issues that Keppra causes.

Best,
Nakamova

My daughter has had mood swings from Keppra

Hi Tahamene, welcome to CWE!

I agree with the others -- the Keppra is very likely be responsible for the anger and extreme moodiness your guy is experiencing (and that you get to endure too). There are other meds that are less likely to have mood-related side effects, and it sounds like it would be well worth it for him give them a try, especially if his seizures aren't fully controlled.

In the meantime, you might suggest that he take a B6 supplement. For some folks it seems to help with the rage and mood issues that Keppra causes.

Best,
Nakamova

:agree:

B6 helps!

He is lucky to have you!

Good luck,

Tom

Back
Top Bottom