My experience today

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

trebla

New
Reaction score
Hi well today i had a really long nap and i had a dream within a dream within a dream. so thats like waking up in your dream but only to find it was a dream three times. The cause for me to wake up was a seizure.

I knew it was a dream because during the second waking up in the dream i went to my friends room and the layout was different and also when i went into the seizure i was looking at my self as if i was out of my body. I had the seizure and "awoke" in my bed only to have another seizure and wake up for real.

I've never had a seizure in my life and not sure if i have any form of epilepsy.

i ll describe the seizure now. The seizure was like my head was spinning and and then my whole body and i couldn't raise my arm when i tried or control any limbs almost as if i was paralysed. I tried to put my hand in front of my face and i got a opaque visual of my hand in front of my face and then i had the seizure. this happened three times :/

So im just curious:

do i have epilepsy?
Was it an actual seizure?
What does this all mean ?

Any similar experiences would be great to hear about.

Hi..

Hi Trebla,

Welcome to the group. Well..seizures can be all sorts of weird feelings, experiences, sensations,smells,you name it..not just the jerking kind that most people think of. I actually have the weird, odd sensation sleep seizures that wake me up. What you describe could certainly be a seizure..but Since I am not a Dr. I would advise you to talk to your Dr. see what they say and ask about seeing a neurologist. I went for yrs. being misdiagnosed with what they suggested was panic/anxiety or sleep terrors?? And I always knew that this was not the case. They were not caught on earlier EEGS during sleep studies. But they finally showed up and showed seizure activity. It can be really frustrating..but very important to get a proper diagnosis and treament. This site is wonderful because everyone has different experiences and there are many kinds of seizures as well. I think you will find great info. here!
Best of luck to you!

Michelle

Welcome Trebla
It sounds like this was a very scary experience.
Obvious from what you have mentioned that this was not a "normal" nap. So for what ever label you want to put on it, I would suggest that you speak to someone that can check you out medically. There are tests that will need to be run to see if you are physically okay.

I hope you can get an appointment soon.

:hello: Trebla

Welcome to CWE, I moved your thread to the
Foyer so that more people would be able to see
you and welcome you and be of more response
to you.

There are many things that could be triggering
such issues and it's not necessarily Epilepsy, and
this Epilepsy Foundation's information site here,
has information here - if you read about it, you'll
find that there are other issues that could possibility
can trigger such matters.

Epilepsy Foundation - Seizure Triggers

Here's a partial quote from the above link:
Seizure Triggers and Precipitants

The immediate factors that provoke a given seizure are complex, and seizures are rarely predictable. Seizures may be triggered or irritated by a variety of mechanisms. The most common trigger is missed medication, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Sleep and wake cycles, and hormonal fluctuations, can also influence seizure frequency. Women are affected by pregnancy and menstrual cycles.

Excessive use and withdrawal from alcohol or drugs may trigger seizures, as can illness or fever: Adding or removing prescription medications or supplements can trigger seizures, and should therefore be done gradually.

Some studies indicate that emotional stressors such as worry, anxiety, and anger may cause seizures, especially if combined with fatigue or chronic sleep loss. Practicing relaxation techniques and treating disorders contributing to sleep loss (such as sleep apnea) may decrease seizure frequency. Melatonin has been successfully given for sleep loss in children. Unpredictable changes in metabolic factors, such as vomiting, diarrhea, and physical stress, can also contribute to seizures.

But if it was just a one time episode and never happened
again, then I would just inform your Primary Care
Doctor about it, so a note would be taken.

Thanks for the info peeps, im gonna read up more about this is see a doctor. :)

Hi trebla, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Most seizures involve a measure of consciousness impairment. With simple partial seizures, you maintain a greater level of awareness (and physical control of the body - there usually isn't any motor impairment).

You described events leading up to a seizure, but not the seizure itself if I understood your post correctly. Are you saying that you had full body convulsions? Were you consciously aware of them?

Hi trebla, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Most seizures involve a measure of consciousness impairment. With simple partial seizures, you maintain a greater level of awareness (and physical control of the body - there usually isn't any motor impairment).

You described events leading up to a seizure, but not the seizure itself if I understood your post correctly. Are you saying that you had full body convulsions? Were you consciously aware of them?

Im sort of wondering and trying to find out what did happen. It felt like i was having convulsions or a seizure but it was in a dream state so i dont know if they really occured? i was totally aware, in my sleep if that makes sense.

Trebla:

The best option here would be to have a
discussion with your Primary Care Doctor,
so schedule an appointment with the Physician
so that the Doctor can evaluate you and ask
questions within and he/she would determine
then if it is necessary for you to be referred to
a Neurologist or Epileptologist and go on from
there. There will be questions asked, especially
pertaining your family history.

I recommend taking a peek at:

No More Seizures - a
new website by Epilepsy Foundation

If you can hear, you can listen as well. There are
questions there you can review. Another thing to
find out to know which would be of extreme help
is your childhood diseases that you had (if it does
apply) - such as German Measles, for example.
Other things - if your mother is still living, or if you
have knowledge of it - complications at birth or
while being a baby, toddler, or a young child.

For certain things can cause Epilepsy later on in
teen / adult years; and in some cases, in females,
the hormones can have an impact. There are many
different reasons why just as there are unknown
reasons why. It is also important to bring up any
known family history of mental illnesses, especially
depression - for Neuroscience has found that there
is correlation between Epilepsy & untreated depression.
(No it doesn't mean you are crazy, it just means one's
brain isn't functioning properly). And of course, then
there's one more of importance that if you know of,
because I had this same issue as well - bed wetting,
if you had this problem and know how long you've
had to endure it and at what age - it would be of
extreme help to the Doctors, for they are finding ties
and connections as well. If there is anyone with Cancer
and Cardiac problems in your family lineage, that is
important to bring it up as well.

Secondly, the other factor to look into, because I know
not of your age or anything of this factor: Is your
employment / marriage / lifestyle and one final
thing of importance:

1) Stress
2) Exposure to extreme fluctuations (whether temps,
sounds, chemicals, etc)
3) Consumption of alcohol, Recreational drugs (Be Honest
with your Doctor here!)
Note: I do not drink alcohol - I'm allergic to it. I don't do
illegal or recreational drugs - allergic to those who even
smokes weed, mj, or whatever they want to call it. But those
who are opened and honest, are the ones who gets the best
treatment and response! Even if it was in the past years ago,
even if they tried it "once".

4) Lifestyle <--- WHY is this important? Are you getting
what your body needs? Your diet, sleep, health, etc - is
very important; if you're not living right - you're putting
your own self into a risk factor.

The FINAL IMPORTANCE:

5) Have you sustained any trauma? Or faced any traumatizing
situation? A head injury, rape, beaten up, underwent a severe
stressful situation, battled with depression but kept things
bottled in, and so on.

I am not a Medical Doctor, the list I have provided to you above
is just a mere list to go through, and write it down and bring
it forth to go over with your Primary Care Physician.

And once again, above all things - BE HONEST!

Back
Top Bottom