My Story

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Kmellen

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

My name is Kate, I am 23 years and currently live in Florida with my boyfriend. We moved here almost a year ago because of a job promotion I was offered. I have had seizures most of my life, however between 14 and 19 I was seizure free.
When I was 3, I had E.coli from a raw hamburger at Mcdonalds and the strain was one that doctors had never seen before. From the E.coli I also had HUS (your red blood cell count depletes and your white blood cells take over), Kidney, Liver, Heart and Lung failure. From this I now have epilepsy. I was always on tegretol up until I was 10 when my neurologist put me on tegretol XR which was like a miracle drug for me. At the age of 14 I no longer had seizures and was off the tegretol. At the age of 19 I was driving down main st in my home town when I had a seizure and hit a truck. From that I was put on Keppra which was not working for me and I was not comfortable with. I am now back on Tegretol XR which is working, however I still have breakthrough seizures every now and then. I am back to driving, working and living a normal life.

A few things I love are going to the beach, spending time with my family and friends, along with cooking and baking.

Hello

Warm welcome.

Wow, that was one serious MD experience and food for thought!

To hear "working and living a normal life"is heart warming. Thanks for sharing. Great you have found a med that works and does not interfere with every day living...:)

My goodness! Your story is astounding! Thanks for sharing.
You seem like such a positive person despite the fact that your life has really tested you.
I'm glad you are driving again and that your seizures are under control.
I like how you ended off with what you enjoy doing...even with life's ups and downs there are still many things out there worth doing and smiling about.

Back
Top Bottom