Need help before Neurologist appointment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vad

New
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am going to my new neurologist next week and I just need some help before I go.

What happened was I began to have seizures back two years ago. I continued to have them for many months and I was referred to an epilepsy unit for 3 weeks of continuous video eeg monitoring. In the end the doctor said over my first three days I had abnormal epileptic-type activity and abnormal non-epileptic type activity. Although my seizures happened not during these periods and was deemed pseudo-seizures.

I was later diagnosed with Celiac Disease. My doctors think this was the cause, but the internet says Celiac can only cause epileptic seizures, not pseudo-seizures. Either way, my question is this:

1. Should I bring in the papers showing the abnormalities over the first three days to show the neurologist, or is it normal for people to have abnormalities and since I didn't have a seizure at those moments, it should be ok to leave it.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

My advice would be bring them & even if you don't need them then nothing lost.

It's always best to have something you don't use with you rather than not have something you do need.

Thanks, I agree.

My other main question was,

Is it normal for epileptiform and non-epileptiform abnormalities to show on long-term EEG's? My notes say that mild epileptiform and non-epileptiform abnormalities were seen over the first three days, but not associated with seizure activitity. Is this normal or almost always points to something underlying? Thanks.

My other main question was,

Is it normal for epileptiform and non-epileptiform abnormalities to show on long-term EEG's? My notes say that mild epileptiform and non-epileptiform abnormalities were seen over the first three days, but not associated with seizure activitity. Is this normal or almost always points to something underlying? Thanks.

Check back to our responses to your earlier thread about your EEG:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/eeg-abnormalities-11654/

And you should ask your new neurologist the same question. That's his job. :)

Back
Top Bottom