New!! 7 year old with Seizure Disorder

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kashani19

New
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have a 7 year old that had a seizure on February 9th, 2012. It was a Tonic Clonic (Grand Mahl) - she has been given Trilepital which she had an allergic reaction to 10 days into the medicine. She is now on Toprimax. I think Toprimax is great, but she also has aura's. She has started having aura's 3 to 4 times a day - so her doctor put her on Keppra - as an additional med. I am wondering if anyone has children who also have aura's. My daughter hasn't had another seizure since February, but still has aura's. Anyone else out there experiencing this? And if so, how do you deal with them, and what meds do you think are good for aura's?
Excited to be here and express my concerns! :)

I don't have children, However I had auras as a child and as a adult.

Auras are a type of a seizure. It could that her meds. need to be changed are another one added.
Have you told her Neur. about this? They would want to know this.

Hi kashani19, welcome to CWE!

There are quite a few meds out there used to treat Simple Partials (auras) by finding the right one for any given individual can be a process of trial and error. If the Keppra isn't helping, let the neurologist know. Other potential meds are Lamictal, Tegretol, and Gabitril. You might also look into making dietary/nutritional adjustments -- sometimes those can help control or reduce seizures as well. More info here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

Another non-medication approach to consider is neurofeedback. More info here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/eeg-neurofeedback-501/

Best,
Nakamova

Jyearta,
Thank you for your information. I have told her Neuro and he just now added the Keppra into her daily meds. I am crossing my fingers that the Keppra helps her! :)

Nakamova,
Thank you so much for all the new information on diet and such. I am so excited to be a part of this group and learn more about seizures, because I feel so in the dark on a lot of things. :)

I think ....Your going to find this forum to so helpful. The people here want to help others in sharing what they have gone though. e Dr. meds. or the seizures.

I.m 60 years old, I found this forum about 13 months ago. I have inform. that has made my life so much better. just go into all the forums and read as much as you can or just ask any question you have.

Someone might have gone thought the same thing, and would glad to help.

How long has been since your dr. added Keppra?

Nak. is rit in that maybe the diet would help,

I think ....Your going to find this forum to so helpful. The people here want to help others in sharing what they have gone though. e Dr. meds. or the seizures.

I.m 60 years old, I found this forum about 13 months ago. I have inform. that has made my life so much better. just go into all the forums and read as much as you can or just ask any question you have.

Someone might have gone thought the same thing, and would glad to help.

How long has been since your dr. added Keppra?

Nak. is rit in that maybe the diet would help,

My daughters Neuro just added Keppra yesterday! I had to BEG him and had to have her school keep track of aura's each day as well as myself. I am really hoping this works for my sweet girl. These aura's were really delaying her in school and everything.

JUst give it a little while for the med. to adjust, I,m praying that this will be all she needs.

I have been put on about all the meds. there is, but had to back to Dilantin. It's scary to change meds. but sometimes that's that is the only way to know.

Glad you're here. You'll learn tons from people who've been thru what you're experiencing.

I wanted to say hello as I see you're in Wylie. I'm in Richardson, howdy neighbor. :)

Glad you're here. You'll learn tons from people who've been thru what you're experiencing.

I wanted to say hello as I see you're in Wylie. I'm in Richardson, howdy neighbor. :)

Well hello there neighbor! I am so excited to learn more about seizures. I am so new to them with my daughter and there are so many questions every day! I have really enjoyed this forum already and I have only been reading for 1 day! :) Happy Halloween to you to!

Back
Top Bottom