New AED ideas?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've had epilepsy for 7 years and have been reasonably well controlled on Tegretol for that time but I've just started having breakthrough seizures.
Has anyone else had this experience?
I seem to read nothing but bad things about Kepra and I'm terrified my neuron is going to put me on Kepra as well for no reason..... Can anyone reassure me?
Much appreciated!!

Keppra is bad for those who aren't well suited for it. It tends to create mood swings, and to those that were already prone to those, they intensify.
Myself, I find it's been a good match with me. For me instead of swinging my mood around, it more modivates me to change things I don't like. So instead of getting angry about something I don't like, I find I just go out and change it. That might be the Keppra, or that might be my own personality interacting with the Keppra, I don't know which. :)

Other than that, I'm a little more tired, mainly around when the medication is getting adjusted and doses are changing. Once I'm on a steady dose it doesn't cause those kinds of problems.

I wouldn't worry to much about it unless you're prone to having mood swings or you find you get over-emotional about little things. :)

If you are scared of it, you could always refuse being put on Keppra and request a different medication.

I've taken Keppra now for 12 years (3000 mgs.) and works for me as far as controlling seizures. But I've had a problem with depression/mood swings long before Keppra, so it doesn't effect me in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom