New agr soldier from texas

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've started having these episodes in February of this year. Was told by my military Dr they were anxioty attacks. They kept getting worse so she sent me to a neurologic dr, who then said she thought they were seizures. I got the eeg last Friday and was told yesterday that activity did show up. She said they look like complex partial seizures. I've done 20 years total with 11 active and am currently active at this time. Can anyone tell me what to expect for the diagnosis and service. I can't remember the name of the meds, but will update when I get them this afternoon.

Hello and welcome to the site.
Everyone's complex partials are different. I don't even know when I've had one unless there's a witness, "come to" in a different place, or do something to myself/my surroundings. Some of mine have been very dangerous for me.

Hi Desertlizardking,

Welcome to CWE! I've had complex partial seizures for 43 yrs. and when I start to have one I will get a nervous feeling in my stomach and see colors flashing back and forth in my eyes, this is actually a simple partial seizure also called an aura seizure that leads into the complex partial seizure. After I see the colors I blank out but I will wander around and I smack my lips during the seizure. After the seizure is over I will often find myself in a different room that where I was when the seizure started. When the seizure is over I will be confused for a few seconds until I realize what happened and I sometimes feel tired and get a headache.
Just like you I've had an e.e.g. done along with other tests but it didn't show any problem until I had brain surgery and the neurosurgeon saw that the damage was so deep in my brain that no tests could show anything.
My best advice to you is to see an Epileptologist which is a Dr. who specializes in epilepsy, these Drs. are great at finding the cause of the seizure and they keep you on the least meds. One thing I've been using is medical marijuana (CBD oil) and I'm amazed at how that's reduced my seizures.
Cut back on the carbs and starch foods, stay away from diet sodas or anything with nutra sweet in it because all of that can lead to seizures for many people. Eat food high in fats and this will build up ketones in your body and it will reduce the seizures.
Get a calendar and start writing down what time these possible seizures happen by doing this the Dr. may see a pattern in your seizures and if they are happening when hormones are changing, bad weather is happening or when your are tired and under stress which are the 2 main things that trigger seizures. Sorry for carrying on so long.
I wish you the best of luck, thank you for serving our country and May God Bless You!

Sue

Than you so much for that info. That really helps me out a lot. My wife and I have looked into the cbt oil, but as I'm in the military it's not an option. I will definitely take your advise on the diet.

Hello and welcome to CWE,

My complex partial seizures were also originally misdiagnosed as anxiety attacks. Intense fear is my aura and a main symptom of my complex partials. Hopefully, a med or combination of meds will control your seizures. Sometimes, it's a trial and error process finding the right med(s). Porkette mentioned epileptologists. I wanted to add you will find them at university hospitals. As Porkette mentioned, two big seizure triggers are stress and lack of sleep. Alcohol beverage and flashing lights are also triggers. It's also important to sleep night hours. In other words, not stay up too late at night. That can cause seizures.

Thank you for your service.

Back in 1999 when I was going through a lot of stress I started having what in hindsight seemed like my partial/focal seizures.
At that time my Dr. said the were "Panic Attacks" (basically like "anxiety attacks).
At that time he had old records showing that I drank about 4 to 6 cans of beer a day.
He wouldn't believe me when I tried to explain that was no longer a day and had changed to that much in a week.
Anyway he told me to quit drinking entirely (which I did).
After the stress of little sleep working a full time job while carring for an ill mother was over I stopped having them.
About 4 years later I had a closed head injury in a car accident. After that I started having that again as well as Tonic Clonic (Grand Mal) seizures. So maybe I had a tendency to seize? None of my (neuro.) Dr's really wanted to know.

Back
Top Bottom